Dress for Success

FTOJRLST

I think I've written about this before but...

Once I ended up at an Oliver North rally in 1994ish and I was wearing jean shorts and a ragedy NASCAR t-shirt. :eek:

That was a pivotal day in my wardrobe and even though I can still be seen in shorts in the heat of the summer, I'm always in a nice shirt and I always have a set of nicer clothes in the car.

cameradog

I too can sweat through a shirt in seconds, I even sweat when it's minus 5 degrees out.
Believe it or not, the secret to that is to wear a light cotton undershirt. It's not as comfortable in hot climates as going without one, and I wouldn't wear one in Tallahassee in July when it's 104' outside with 100% humidity. But for most reasonable temperature ranges, it's not that bad once you get used to it, and it will keep you looking crisp a lot longer throughout the day.

I've gotten so accustomed to them now that I feel sort of naked if I'm not wearing one.

Shootblue

I think I've written about this before but...

Once I ended up at an Oliver North rally in 1994ish and I was wearing jean shorts and a ragedy NASCAR t-shirt. :eek:
I knew someone would be rocking the jorts, of course I assumed them to be Canadian :)

phxtvwatcher

5.11 tac pants

I love these also. They're comfortable to work in, have pockets on them but not huge pockets and they stand up to anything you throw at them. I also like them because if you travel, you just pull them out of your suitcase and they're ready to go. They're functional and look good.

I think when you're carrying a camera, people understand that you're not going to be wearing a suit but they don't take you as serious if you have baggy jeans and a slayer t-shirt. This is still a business and I think people should remember that.

I love these also. They're comfortable to work in, have pockets on them but not huge pockets and they stand up to anything you throw at them. I also like them because if you travel, you just pull them out of your suitcase and they're ready to go. They're functional and look good.

I think when you're carrying a camera, people understand that you're not going to be wearing a suit but they don't take you as serious if you have baggy jeans and a slayer t-shirt. This is still a business and I think people should remember that.
Also keep in mind that from what I have seen the full suite is still only regularly worn in New England and a few other areas. So Khakis and say a collared shirt will more than cover you better than 90 percent of the time. Actually some days when I am vacation reliefing I am dressed better than the reporter that I am paired with since a few of them here just dress from the neck up and even then only have the sport coat and shirt with tie on a hanger if they need it.

Also I now wear these stain guard khakis from Haggar (im sure other companies have a similar product) and they actually stay clean in some really nasty shoots. I can wear white khakis and be shooting on my knees in the park or most other places I just need to knock the dirt off and clean. Worst case is I get some grease or something that sticks and I just splash a cup of water or run through the wash. Much better than jeans in my opinion.

satop

I think it was camera god that said you dress better people treat you better....he is dead on!

Early in my career, I wore the t-shirt and ripped or dirty pants, sneakers etc.....

But about 10 years ago, an older photog, who allways wore a tie and sport coat to work, said to me dress nice for a week, and you will be amazed at the leval of respect you get......man was he right!

Now, I allways wear a collared shirt, either button down, or a polo shirt. allways have my shirt tucked in my pants, never wear sneakers. Trust me, you dress better, you will be treated better.

Now my clothes do get dirty or damaged from time to time because of the job, that is just a fact of the job....you don't have to spend a lot of money on them though.....10 dollar slacks from old navy, clearnce polos from underarmour.com....yes I love under armour! But, I don't pay full price for them....either clearnce from the web site, or the outlet stores.

When it gets really hot, I do wear shots....but nice khaki ones....never jean shorts......and never sneakers.

cameradog

.....10 dollar slacks from old navy...
This is one place I won't shop. I went into Old Navy several years ago and said, "Wow! This stuff is cheap!" Then I bought a bunch of clothes. I thought I was getting a good deal.

Most of it wasn't presentable after six months. None of it lasted more than a year. I had seams come apart and edges frayed. It was total crap that just couldn't stand up to normal wear, must less the rigors of the job.

I will buy cheap clothes at some of the outlet stores. As I mentioned earlier, I'm partial to Van Heusen, because they sell the same clothes in the outlet store that they sell in the department stores at 1/2 or sometimes 1/3 of the regular price. I used to shop at the Nautica outlet stores before they changed their styles. I don't shop at Gap outlets because they sell Old Navy clothes in there that have been rebadged with Gap's logo. The stuff in the Gap outlets is NOT the same as what's in the Gap stores.

I would rather shop at WalMart than at Old Navy.

This is one place I won't shop. I went into Old Navy several years ago and said, "Wow! This stuff is cheap!" Then I bought a bunch of clothes. I thought I was getting a good deal.

Most of it wasn't presentable after six months. None of it lasted more than a year. I had seams come apart and edges frayed. It was total crap that just couldn't stand up to normal wear, must less the rigors of the job.

I will buy cheap clothes at some of the outlet stores. As I mentioned earlier, I'm partial to Van Heusen, because they sell the same clothes in the outlet store that they sell in the department stores at 1/2 or sometimes 1/3 of the regular price. I used to shop at the Nautica outlet stores before they changed their styles. I don't shop at Gap outlets because they sell Old Navy clothes in there that have been rebadged with Gap's logo. The stuff in the Gap outlets is NOT the same as what's in the Gap stores.

I would rather shop at WalMart than at Old Navy.
This is the same experience I have had it is also part of the reason I went to haggar. They cater their cloths to working types and the pants are not prone to ripping or staining or wearing through in the normal places. Plus I cant really tell the difference from my dockers. Don't know how they do it, probably don't want to either but they do.

2000lux

I posted this on the Freelancer forum a while ago:

Dressing well is extremely important. This was driven home for me a long time ago when I went on a shoot where I was better dressed than the producer. He was wearing a T-shirt and cargo pants. I was wearing a button down shirt and some new black jeans. The client kept talking to me and asking me questions. I kept responding, "I don't know, why don't you ask the producer?" gesturing towards him. The client kept trying to talk to me any way because I looked more professional.

I always try to look presentable, but also be comfortable. I generally try to wear dark colors to a shoot so I don't reflect any colors, or get caught in a window reflection. That's why I prefer black pants over khakis, and dark shirts.

On a news shoot I know that on the same day I might be walking in to the capitol building, a swamp, or both. I try to be prepared for any thing.

Normally I wear a wicking polo shirt. New Balance sells some labeled "Lightning Dry" here at an outlet store and online. You can also find them in golf stores. I think they're great. I get hot very easily and I tend to sweat a lot in the summer to the point where one producer actually asked me if I had another shirt in the car! That's not a problem in these. Dark colors also help hide sweat by the way. I have a whole closet full of them now.

I also usually wear nice convertible cargo pants. They have legs that off at the knee (i.e. they turn in to shorts). Nike makes some good ones under the ACG brand. I find them at Dicks. REI sells another version I like. I'm sure Cabellas and pretty much any other outdoor store has them too. Just search for "convertible pants."

When I worked in local news we had a dress code which included pants unless it was over 80. I could wear those pants in to work and the suits were happy that I was properly dressed. Then when I left I could zip off the legs if I got hot, and be happy that I was now properly dressed. ;)

Some times I wear black jeans, or even slacks depending on the shoot. I never wear any thing with holes or tattered edges on a shoot.

For shoes I generally wear waterproof hiking sneakers. Nothing too garish. You never know what you'll be standing in, or where. At the least they keep my feet dry when shooting in the snow, or walking across a dewy field.

Dress like a grown up. = Get treated like a grown up.

It works in the real world too. I find I get much better treatment at the airport, the doctor's office, wherever, if I dress well. I hardly ever wear a non collared shirt in public any more.

couryhouse

in normal situations...dress well but try to be comfortable also.... if it demands it wear a suit.... or even a tux if it is appropriate.

Don't walk into a formal occasion in sneakers baggy shorts and a cap on backwards....
you will look like Johnny gansta rapper!

Not a bad idea to keep a little extra clothing stashed in the van in case you need to change costume.

Here in Arizona it might be 115 degrees out when we are shooting outside... but... wear some nice looking shorts and a shirt with a collar.

now all this does not work all the time... there are times you will run across a scene like piece of 'found art' that you will not be dressed for but try to look the best you can... hate to say it... but in the eyes of most people... clothes DO MAKE THE MAN at least for the first impression!

cameradog

I generally try to wear dark colors to a shoot so I don't reflect any colors, or get caught in a window reflection. That's why I prefer black pants over khakis, and dark shirts.
The word khaki can refer to a color or a fabric. The color khaki is light, but the fabric doesn't have to be. You can get dark khakis. Most of mine are a dark green, brown or grey.

Freddie Mercury

That's another funny thing. Some folks seem to think that khakis are made of a fragile material not meant for work.
I stopped wearing Dockers to work when I missed a step on a set of stairs and my knee went down causing the pant knee to rip wide open. To my knowledge Dockers are made of khaki. I know that would not have happened with jeans. I've sustained injuries to my body through jeans that were just fine.

I don't wear bluejeans but rather black or brown ones and they don't look bad in my opinion.

Ace Of Nothing

I used to be a bit more on the casual side than I should have. I have been trying to up my game both on and off the job (unless it's a shoot on the beach about warm weather, I keep swimming trunks and flip flops in the car. I can hop right in the water for some great sound/viz).

I have noticed I get far more respect from both the subjects and other media (including the desk, reporters etc).

Chicago Dog

I say zip off pants = cheesy. Either go with pants or shorts.
I thought so, too, until I saw a set. They're actually pretty well made. The zippers are covered by what looks like a seam around the pant leg.

They sound cheesy, but they're actually pretty nifty. In my opinion, they're a worthwhile innovation -- especially to people in our field.

AlexLucas

May I humbly suggest you DON'T go with cotton.
I've been using the "dryweave" (aka Polyester) shirts as an undershirt for years, and it works terribly well, at least down here in Nashville.

Always get them in black and navy blue, and then match them out with some kind of overshirt that either is a golf style, or at least has a collar.

Cotton does not wick, it absorbs. A wicking shirt dries a lot faster, and is more comfortable. It also doesn't stink.

I don't hardly ever wear a shirt without a collar. It better be rather stylish.
I also only wear dark shirts, because you would be shocked how much you stand out in a car window reflection in any color besides navy or black.

Also, I keep a black thermal jacket, because it makes a great fast black velvet cloth when you need one in a pinch.

Bismarck

I wear nice jeans and a tucked-in Oxford shirt every day with a plain white undershirt beneath it. I have my shirts dry-cleaned for $1.50. The shirts themselves were ridiculously cheap.