VJ Standups

Lensmith

I heard you groan!

But this was truly too good not to share. Shooting standups is probably one of the hardest things a VJ has to accomplish.

This is an example of someone who makes it work. Yes, he probably had plenty of time but that should not take anything away from his creativity or the high level of quality he is able to accomplish.

Bismarck

Yeah these are impressive. Granted he seems to be doing feature stories, but it shows that people can at least shoot an interesting standup own their own. And if they can do that they can shoot a good story on their own.

couryhouse

I am in Awe.....

are you sure he did not have camera people? this is unreal.... it outstrips many crew productions I have seen lately.

Teach me how is he getting all the multiple hims in the picture in the outdoor and indoor scenes... captitvating but olmot unsettling seeing so many of him at once.

I heard you groan!

But this was truly too good not to share. Shooting standups is probably one of the hardest things a VJ has to accomplish.

This is an example of someone who makes it work. Yes, he probably had plenty of time but that should not take anything away from his creativity or the high level of quality he is able to accomplish.

Thanks!

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I wrote, shot, and edited everything on that reel. And each of those stand-ups were done under deadline for same-day turnarounds.

I’m also flattered that you think I am a feature reporter. It means that my message is hitting home. Nine out of ten of those stand-ups were for A-Block news stories. I’ve decided I don’t like telling hard news, political, or lead stories the same, conservative, straight-laced way we see on every station. Why can’t stories be compelling, filled with personality, and visuals? Of course, I don’t get to do these stand-ups all the time. I only drop a cup-of-creativity in the mix when it calls for it...or when I can pull it off.

I spend 9 out of 10 days as a VJ. The tenth I am blessed with a photog.

Joe Little
10News
San Diego

couryhouse

multi standups

ok! got it! I have used the pip for just seperate things going on but I see how this would work... positioning it perfectly is probaby the hardest part indeed!

This guy is to be commended for his work... where can I see more of it?

Its pretty easy, you just make sure that you lock the camera down in one position and DO NOT MOVE IT. Go stand in the diferent areas and make sure no part of your body fills an area of the screne where you were for other shots. Next, use the picture-in-picture tool and use the crop function to crop the image. You end up with multiple shots overlapped but since the camera was left in a single locked down position, you don't notice it. Take the bike for example. Notice that he never crosses the center of the frame for either shot. In AVID, overlap the two shots, add the PIP to the upper layer, scale back to 100%, and crop the upper layers right or left side to half way. Its not hard but could be time consuming depending on how elaborate you get.

Lensmith

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I wrote, shot, and edited everything on that reel. And each of those stand-ups were done under deadline for same-day turnarounds.

I’m also flattered that you think I am a feature reporter. It means that my message is hitting home. Nine out of ten of those stand-ups were for A-Block news stories. I’ve decided I don’t like telling hard news, political, or lead stories the same, conservative, straight-laced way we see on every station. Why can’t stories be compelling, filled with personality, and visuals? Of course, I don’t get to do these stand-ups all the time. I only drop a cup-of-creativity in the mix when it calls for it...or when I can pull it off.

Joe Little
10News
San Diego
It's nice to have you in the mix here at B-Roll Online Joe. Please don't be shy about contributing. B-Rollers may not all agree about everything all the time but...for myself...creative television always puts an appreciative smile on my face and that's why I felt compelled to share some of your work here. ;)

csusandman

Matt Renoux (KUSA) much?!

Very well done! Simple standups that are actually fun to watch? What a concept!!

couryhouse

keep up the good work!

WOW you are here!

Keep up the good work!

it is inspiring!

Joe Little
10News
San Diego

ian515

Joe Little
10News
San Diego

awesome work man. what are you shooting on? I am assuming not your average shoulder mounted rig given the shot where you are holding the camera and talking to it. Goes a long way to show that its not the camera that makes it news worthy, but the operator. keep up the good work!

verdantFOX

It can't be done. The viewers will see the immediate decline in quality. They will flee to other stations. Ratings will plummet. One person could never do quality work. It can't be done.

The Camera

Definitely not a shoulder rig. Panasonic AG-HVX200A. Editing on Final Cut.

Cool tools. Cheap parlor tricks. Hopefully applied correctly.

Bismarck

Joe Little
10News
San Diego

Wow, in that case, definitely good job. You're right, it's not often very easy at all to do a standard straight news A-block piece in an interesting way, e.g. City Council meeting stories.

ian515

Definitely not a shoulder rig. Panasonic AG-HVX200A. Editing on Final Cut.

Cool tools. Cheap parlor tricks. Hopefully applied correctly.
well, like I said, great job. now when people start their usual bull about VJ's not being able to shoot, I am pointing to you.

Chicago Dog

well, like I said, great job. now when people start their usual bull about VJ's not being able to shoot, I am pointing to you.
While I think Joe's work is well done, I think it's very, very hasty of you to point to him as an example of what OMB/VJs can do. Ninety-nine percent of the OMB/VJs out there simply cannot pull off stuff like this.

According to Rosenblum, Joe should make peanuts and be happy that's what he's getting. He believes that Joe is "replaceable" for the exact same comment you made in the above quote. If Joe were to ask him for a raise because of his obvious talent, Rosenblum would simply replace him with some dumb, inexperienced college kid.

Obviously, Joe's got a handle on what he can do. Management adopting Rosenblum's mindset (like that joke of a station he runs in Washington) will never keep guys like Joe and, as a result, will always fail in the ratings.

Flipside? If stations continue paying anchors such ridiculous salaries for simply reading the news, they can expect failure. Case in point? WBBM, the CBS station in Chicago. They paid her almost two million dollars a year to read the teleprompter and provide a face that was covered up most of the time by VOs and teases. That money can easily hire a few more taltented reporters and shooters. It makes their visual product so much more attractive to viewers. CBS suffered greatly as a result. There's still ripples from the fallout, and there will continue to be ripples for a long time to come.

cameragod

Good work Joe. There is no doubt he is a talented performer.
But its not great shooting its just a locked off shot... done very well done and well planed and everything, good execution but not really that hard to shoot.
Don't get me wrong I love the work, I understand the effort involved but its just one (very good) trick repeated.

ian515

jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez you guys. why does it always have to come back to MR??? this guy went out, got creative, did it without a big camera, and without a crew. sure, it doesnt show us great shooting, but it was a compilation of STANDUPS. of course its going to be locked off. but if his creativity in standups is anything like his shooting, I would be pretty confident his shooting is pretty good as well.

I am not saying MR's tactics work. I AM saying that little cameras, and one man crews DO work, its possible for something good to come from that. it doesnt mean that the entire station should be that way, but if it comes down to that, either get creative like this guy, or quit. what else are your options???? unless you own the station there isnt much you can do about the budget.

I still stand by it. this guy did it RIGHT.

Latin Lens

Is there anyway of seeing the whole stroy associated with these standups? They are very creative and I would like to see how they flowed in the actual piece.

Good work Joe. Its amazing how simple (locked down camera) and creative (mind and the proper editing FXs) could really help to drive the message home.