VJ Standups

Michaelrosenblum

While I think Joe's work is well done, I think it's very, very hasty of you to point to him as an example of what OMB/VJs can do. Ninety-nine percent of the OMB/VJs out there simply cannot pull off stuff like this.

According to Rosenblum, Joe should make peanuts and be happy that's what he's getting. He believes that Joe is "replaceable" for the exact same comment you made in the above quote. If Joe were to ask him for a raise because of his obvious talent, Rosenblum would simply replace him with some dumb, inexperienced college kid.

Obviously, Joe's got a handle on what he can do. Management adopting Rosenblum's mindset (like that joke of a station he runs in Washington) will never keep guys like Joe and, as a result, will always fail in the ratings.

Flipside? If stations continue paying anchors such ridiculous salaries for simply reading the news, they can expect failure. Case in point? WBBM, the CBS station in Chicago. They paid her almost two million dollars a year to read the teleprompter and provide a face that was covered up most of the time by VOs and teases. That money can easily hire a few more taltented reporters and shooters. It makes their visual product so much more attractive to viewers. CBS suffered greatly as a result. There's still ripples from the fallout, and there will continue to be ripples for a long time to come.
Since you have brought my name into it, Joe Little was one of the VJs I trained at KGTV.

MtnShooter

Nice. Very creative. I can see that making sure the light matches exactly is very important for the multiple-dood stuff. Reminds me of Mike Castellucci.

Wheatstone Bridge

Joe the VJ ( not the plummer )

Reminds me of the Guy who started it all . . . Dave Malkoff ( one of the best ) formerly from WFOR Cbs 4 in Miami

Throwing Myself Under the Bus

I am certainly opening myself up to a world of criticism now. But....

If you are really bored and want to check out complete stories of mine:

http://www.10news.com/joe/index.html

I am not an award winning photographer out of Oklahoma City or Denver. I am a reporter by trade. But I think I am more than capable of handling the gear and putting together complete thoughts at the same time.

Am I an exception? Maybe. But I am also proof that it can be done. In a good size market (San Diego).

Is this for everyone or every station? No. There are definitely people who cannot, or even should not be doing this. But once again, it CAN BE DONE AND DONE WELL.

verdantFOX

Nicely done. Ian is right. It's nothing to do with MR. It's everything to do with a guy who is passionate about his work, capable of great things, and plays with the cards he's dealt. He has a great future and I for one wish him well.

Nino

Since you have brought my name into it, Joe Little was one of the VJs I trained at KGTV.
"But he got to be good anyway"

You are a piece of work Michael, leave it up to you to take credit for somebody else talent and creativity, something that you had nothing to do with, something that you have never done nor would have a clue on how to do it yourself, never mind teaching how to do it.

It's evident that Joe did not follow your teaching and preaching of "not being on camera", hence success.

Great going Joe.

bromor

What next Jo, not every story can be shot like that, now its time to shoot exceptional photography will you have time, maybe you should ditch the journo thing and become a photog full-time. But never the less I was entertained.

Hey Now...

It's evident that Joe did not follow your teaching and preaching of "not being on camera", hence success.
I have become accustomed to the mud slinging around this VJ issue.

To Michael's credit, he opened my eyes to a new world of story telling. He grabbed me by the back of the head and slapped some sense into me. I would not be shooting, editing, or writing the way I do now without his influence.

That being said, to my credit, I have also integrated a lot of traditional styles into my reporting as well. Hence the stand-ups. Since I am a News Reporter FIRST, I believe in Stand-Ups. I would never edit in a soundbite from someone and never show their face. Why not do the same for myself, especially if I'm not fronting the piece live? I do use a tripod sometimes because, darn it, you just have to. But I'll take that camera off that tripod the second I can get the lense up into a story.

However, the principles Michael taught me have made me faster, more compact, and thorough at the same time. I credit him with a lot of my success. (Mike, that check better not bounce.)

I am convinced there is not one right way to do this. How boring would TV be then?

PS: I wear a suit and tie everyday while I'm shooting too. I'll change when I absolutely have to.

Chicago Dog

Once again, you're incorrect and it's because of a direct contradiction to your own wordage. According to your criteria, Joe is not a VJ, he's a OMB:

2. VJs don't do stand ups. The ideal VJ is the journalist, not the 'star of the movie'. The notion of putting the camera on a tripod and then walking arounding in front of it to do a 'stand up', is destructive to the quality of journalism. The reporter has no business in the story, except to report it.

3. VJs refrain, for the most part, from using tripods. They may, under some circumstances, but the ideal here again is fast, mobile and efficient. The less gear carried, the better.
Joe does stand-ups. Joe uses a tripod. Therefore, Joe is not a VJ.

By the way, Joe: you did a nice job, but you did it, not Rosenblum. Don't give him credit. It won't be long before he turns on you because of your views.

Ask Alex Lucas all about the turncoat who is Michael Rosenblum

Latin Lens

Thanks for posting some of your stories Joe...but the reason I wanted to see them was to verify what I kinda feared....and that is.....the standups are great and creative don't get me wrong but the rest of the story is run-of-the-mill....rather boring....and you can tell not the best of photographers shot them.

If a experience creative photog got his hand(s) on those stories maybe they could and should have been better....much better.

A valient effort...yes, but this kinda goes the route of why we debate this VJ topic over and over again...can a two person crew...concentrating on their craft put together a better story than just one person doing it all? Reporters, photographers see the world differently. 99% of the VJ work looks just like yours (aside from the standups).....so while your brain is thinking creatively when it comes to standups...thats only a fraction of the story....but I am not that impressed with the overall product.

Last edited:

verdantFOX

Whatever you think of MR at least Joe has character enough to give credit honestly and fairly, even if it's an unpopular position. His work speaks for itself. His words speak for his character. Well done on both regards.

Chicago Dog

Whatever you think of MR at least Joe has character enough to give credit honestly and fairly, even if it's an unpopular position. His work speaks for itself. His words speak for his character. Well done on both regards.
That's true. For instance, your claim that KRON isn't bombing out while simultaneously refusing to post numbers that are not cherry-picked speaks volumes about your character.

Joe's work is clever and neatly done, but you're the absolute last person here who should be judging anyone's efforts and character. Both you and Rosenblum are riding coat-tails.

ian515

Thanks for posting some of your stories Joe...but the reason I wanted to see them was to verify what I kinda feared....and that is.....the standups are great and creative don't get me wrong but the rest of the story is run-of-the-mill....rather boring....and you can tell not the best of photographers shot them.

If a experience creative photog got his hand(s) on those stories maybe they could and should have been better....much better.

A valient effort...yes, but this kinda goes the route of why we debate this VJ topic over and over again...can a two person crew...concentrating on their craft put together a better story than just one person doing it all? Reporters, photographers see the world differently. 99% of the VJ work looks just like yours (aside from the standups).....so while your brain is thinking creatively when it comes to standups...thats only a fraction of the story....but I am not that impressed with the overall product.
I have seen a lot of shooters who's end of the day pack looks exactly like joes. and they are a two man team. it has nothing to do with a VJ. some have it, some dont. at least joe is trying to bridge that gap, unlike a lot of other people who are just being stubborn. I understand the videos could have been a lot better, and sure, some photog who has been doing nothing but shoot for 35 years could have done a lot of stuff differently, but we also have the advantage of watching it on the internet and disecting every shot because we want to prove that vj's have no place in the news world.

Chicago Dog

I have seen a lot of shooters who's end of the day pack looks exactly like joes. and they are a two man team. it has nothing to do with a VJ. some have it, some dont. at least joe is trying to bridge that gap, unlike a lot of other people who are just being stubborn.
That was a good argument, right up until you blew it out of the water with the following line:

I understand the videos could have been a lot better, and sure, some photog who has been doing nothing but shoot for 35 years could have done a lot of stuff differently, ...

Lost in Alaska

This is how a little pre-planning and paying attention to the details (framing) can make a medocre (sp?) stand-up a great one. I did notice in the bicycle SU, the head of the left shadow was cut off, but a minor deal to make a great visual.

Joe, keep up the work.

AKinDC

That's utter BS. No one would look at his stories and think "VJ". No one. They are all competently shot and edited, and are as good as 90% of the stuff you see in an average broadcast.
If you hate the thought of OMBs, that's fine. But ripping someone because he's doing something that you disagree with is out of line.

ian515

That was a good argument, right up until you blew it out of the water with the following line:
I dont think I blew anything out of the water. if I had said they were awesome and he doesnt need to improve, I would be lying. I think that about myself too, and I would hope most photogs do. I think the need to improve is what makes me want to keep doing this every single day.