VJ Standups

Nino

You may know something about studio lighting, but what you know about the Star Ledger I could put in a thimble. You should stick to what you know how to do and stay away from that which you barely understand.
Michael, if you want to pass yourself off a "knowledgeable" you should at least know the difference between studio and EFP or location lighting, you really sound like a fool when you make these incompetent remarks. Lighting BTW is just one of the thing I know how to do well, the rest is a long list that you have no clues or any idea of what it is. I told you before but you keep on disappearing, do you want to talk about video skills, video productions, news productions or anything else about this business, I'm ready anytime you are.

What do I know about the Newark Star Ledger? I have eyes and skills, plus 40 years in this business. I can see crap before I even have the chance to smell it and what the Newark Star Ledger is putting out is pure crap disguised as newsworthy. With all the fanfare you did when they went to video, front page news, and now they have their video hidden in a corner of their web site, probably ashamed to show that stuff. So go ahead and tell me that's newsworthy and with all the problem facing our nation and our world do you have any idea what those brilliant video journalists trained by you had the very last time I went on their web site? They had as NEWS the story of a bat being rehabilitated and every other videos was of equal news importance.

Like you said, "they paid you a fortune" they should at least have something to show for the money they spent and not crappy videos.

verdantFOX

Nino:

It's my understanding that each of the Young stations is in a queue to adopt VJ. That is what I've been told by more than one employee at KRON.

CG:

If KRON or any station lost revenue that was greater than the savings achieved by VJ and they somehow would attribute that loss to VJ, then of course the system would be a failure. To the best of my knowledge, KRON has lost no revenue due to VJ, because as I've said many times in the past NO ONE IN THE AUDIENCE HAS NOTICED NOR CARES HOW MANY PEOPLE IT TAKES TO PRODUCE A NEWS STORY.

This topic is an absolute obsession with industry insiders and a complete and utter non-issue with the audience. No one cares. Try for once discarding all the usual assumptions about the supposed/presumed/alleged failure of VJ and you will see why KRON has pulled this off. We care tremendously. The audience cares not at all. They do not notice the presumed degradation of quality (frankly it doesn't exist), they don't watch less often because KRON has one person doing a story and the other stations have more, and since it is a non-issue in the audience it has had zero/zilch/zippo impact on their ratings.

That's it CG. The audience has other concerns than how many people it took to produce a story. I sometimes think that all of you outside this market believe you would watch a day's worth of news on KRON in utter hysterics. You wouldn't. Are they great? No. But no one in this market is. They do a credible job.

In the three plus years since they have launched VJ, I have not heard one person -- not one -- discuss KRON's staffing, quality or the VJ concept. You may think they are turning away in droves because of some visceral response to the horrific quality of KRON's content. I assure they are not. Why? The don't notice and it is not nearly as bad as you think. They frankly look much like anyone else in the market, although they tend to use more graphic storytelling techniques as you have seen on Joe's examples.

It's not like I haven't told you folks over and over. But that's the truth. No one in the audience notices or cares that KRON is VJ.

cameragod

Sure Fox maybe both of KRONs regular viewers don’t notice the daily dose of crap.
What I’m saying is that if KRON wants to claw their way up off the bottom then VJ is not going to do it.

Michael claims anyone can be a VJ because everyone is video literate from just watching TV or Film’s. You say nobody notices dodgy audio, poor shooting and substandard journalism. You can’t have it both ways.

AlexLucas

Alex:

You also quit in anger, trashed the people who gave you the opportunity to succeed and did everything you could to undercut the people who employed you. That says a lot about you as well.
Poof!
(Lucas Looks Around)
"Hey everyone, look! I'm in Verdant's fictional fantasy land he made up about me!"

CUT TO: INT DAY WKRN Mid 2000s.
WKRN is like Willy Wonka's factory. Tiny little elves dance a merry jig inside the newsroom. The corporation is a happy place...

Except for one figure lurking... a monocle glints with the shine of an obsessive mind. Out of the only shadow in this idyllic utopia building pops ALEX LUCAS. He is dressed in black pinstripes with a skinny moustache, he twists it obsessively. The man is plotting a betrayal.

LUCAS
Some day, with my extreme power as a news photgrapher, I will destroy this place, and ruin it all.
MUUUUAAAAHHHHAAAAHHHHHAAA HHAAA.

CUT TO: EXT DAY- TRAINYARD
Lucas begins tying a beautiful, blonde maiden to a train track....

CUT TO: COMMERCIAL

verdantFOX

CG:

C'mon, I never said people don't notice bad work. Of course they do. I'm saying what VJs do here is not bad work and that viewers don't care if one, two, or three people shot a story. They only care if the story is one they find valuable.

If you believe (as you seem to) that KRON is at the bottom of the ratings pack, you are mistaken. Why is it that once someone says something bad about KRON without any evidential support for the opinion, and even if that information is completely wrong, it becomes instant "fact" to the people on this board. Yet when someone presents something positive, backed up by facts, that information is labeled fantasy, manipulative, or out right fraud.

You folks line in an interesting world.

Chicago Dog

Again, I find myself in awe of your crappy arguments. When I think you've hit rock-bottom, you prove me wrong:

They do not notice the presumed degradation of quality (frankly it doesn't exist), they don't watch less often because KRON has one person doing a story and the other stations have more, and since it is a non-issue in the audience it has had zero/zilch/zippo impact on their ratings.
You can't make claims like that, FOX. We've asked you time and time again to post numbers that prove your claim. You've failed to meet that challenge each and every time.

The one time you did post numbers, you picked several 15-minute segments that backed up your claims. My personal favorite was the 15-minute segment you picked out of a multiple hour morning show. Even then, all the numbers you showed us proved KRON was still in the crapper and last place.

Unless you're going to post numbers, shut up. Nobody cares what you have to say about ratings.

It's not like I haven't told you folks over and over. But that's the truth. No one in the audience notices or cares that KRON is VJ.
That's because nobody's watching KRON. You've yet to prove otherwise.

Just tellin' it likes I sees it.
Because we all know how well you "see" everything else.

verdantFOX

Dog:

Your logic is staggering. I complement you once again on your ability to stay on message without stating a single fact.

Chicago Dog

I complement you once again on your ability to stay on message without stating a single fact.
Your refusal to post KRON's ratings, despite your claim that they're doing well, is all the fact I need. You fail to do so because none of them back up your claims. You know that if you do post them, they'll dash your entire spin on the market, KRON, Young Broadcasting, and the OMB/VJ "movement."

You know your claims are false. Stop trying to turn it around on myself and others. All the text in the world won't convince other people your beliefs are legit.

Numbers will. You refuse. You fail.

verdantFOX

Dog:

You are truly a fool. And you are also a liar.

I have backed up my position at least FOUR times by posting ratings. You didn't like them because they backed up my position. You now deny I ever did.

You want ratings, you post them. Figure out how to get them and just do it. If you post the actual numbers, as I have, they will back my position, not yours.

Now go find something simple and repetitive (like your posts) to entertain yourself and stop whining like a little girl.

Nino

Nino:

It's my understanding that each of the Young stations is in a queue to adopt VJ. That is what I've been told by more than one employee at KRON.
So let me see if I understand this one. You are saying that KRON conversion to VJ was a success, but in spite of this success 9 other Young stations opted not to make the conversion. Young corporate offices who is in deep financial trouble will not step in and force those stations to make the conversion even thou (according to you) it is PROVEN the conversion will save the company a lot of money without affecting ratings.

Have you seen the latest value of Young stock? I believe is down to 3 cents per share.

And this is your argument in favor of total VJ conversion?

Chicago Dog

I'm making a very simple request of you. Your response?

"No! You!"

I'm going to be as clear as I can here so that you understand: the fact that you don't produce numbers and try to push the burden of that proof causes your argument to fall apart.

The fact that you posted four 15-minute dayparts a couple years ago is not proof. Ratings come out more than once every three years. You should be able to back up your claim of improvement with an onslaught of numbers.

You constantly fail to provide the numbers showing "improvement." Claiming you've posted them is not showing improvement. It doesn't help your argument at all. It makes you look desperate.

I'll say it again: give us numbers or shut up.

AlexLucas

Alex:

I'll stand by my evaluation of your conduct.
What evaluation is that? Second hand reports? Personal conversations with your overlords?

And I reassert that you're not me, didn't go through what I went through, and don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Just mentioning that I 'broke loyalty' with WKRN when they were not only firing staff at the time, they were harassing them for sport and then firing them, says a lot about loyalty, doesn't it?
Loyalty indeed.
They fired the most connected producer in the station, who is now kicking their asses.
They fired the I-Team lead in the middle of a morning meeting over a disagreement, for sport.
They hired people who had to be trained on how to operate a camera, some just out of college.
They did not renew any contracts of anyone making a wage.

Loyalty indeed.
I am my own man, instead of a syncophant such as yourself, doggedly hounding someone because your scant praise you receive from your overlords for it. You're constantly spilling lies that you so recently made up about me, you might believe them now.

And you do it all...
Behind a mask.
Acting like a coward instead of a real man.
You're not a Verdant Fox.
You're a Green Jackal.
Now go hide in the bushes, he-who-is-without-a-name.

Last edited:

Chicago Dog

Yes, FOX is far more interested in posting judgmental comments than posting numbers to back up his claim of KRON's "improvement."