Today I....

newz

...search for my equipment that was borrowed from me during my vacation. Anyone else have to do this?!!!

RichVid

Today I...

tried to join a volunteer fire photo unit for a large Department in my area...I figured what the heck...I've shot about 90% of my spot news video over the last year involving this Department and have had no probs with anyone-got alot of dramatic fire and rescue footage that might benefit them for training purposes on an official level...so why not be a real card carrying member? Mmmm Hmmmm.....Oh well...they shot me down...didn't want me...I guess it's the "Stringer" stigma...

Anyone got an extra hankie? Sniff sniff :( - On second thought, pound sand!

[ December 29, 2004, 01:21 AM: Message edited by: RichVid ]

Natural Born Stringer

Originally posted by BluesDaddy:
quote: Originally posted by Seagate News:
...got my first paycheck for stringing...woohoo!
Congrats! What was the story you sold?
Indeed! Excellent news. You've done the hardest part and that was to get the ball rolling. Now, just keep it rolling...keep those stories coming in and the checks will follow.

BTW: Did you get my email? Hope that helped you out. I'm off work until next Monday so if you replied I won't see it until then.

Take care!

Natural Born Stringer

Originally posted by RichVid:
Today I...

tried to join a volunteer fire photo unit for a large Department in my area... Mmmm Hmmmm.....Oh well...they shot me down...didn't want me...I guess it's the "Stringer" stigma...
Not so much the stigma, but yes, because you are a stringer, they will worry about catching hell from all the other stringers when they see you where they are not allowed to be. I ran into a similar problem when I wanted upclose and personal access with our local FD for a project I wanted to do.

Remember the old Ruffles commercial where the Eskimo guy says to his buddy "If I give you one, I have to give one to everyone else"? It's probably like that, even though you are the only stringer asking. That's what happened to me.

RichVid

There's a bunch'a stringers in the group already! I think it was a conspiracy to ban me cuz I've been shooting so much with "their" department lately ...or maybe I really do shoot like CaCa...

Oh well, even if that's the case, life goes on!

SeagateNews

Video of a barn fire...actually, I shot it about a month ago, but just got the check in yesterday. Only problem is that they made it out to "Seagate News" as opposed to me personally, so I can't cash it. Crap. Oh well, maybe I should just frame it anyway... :D

NBS-I did get your email, and it did help. I also emailed you about that little issue above.

Does anyone know how I can fix this problem without being annoying to the accounts payable dept? If I could, I'd just start an account under Seagate News, but since it's not a 'real' entity, I can't. How would you make a company a company? I'm assuming a lot of paperwork...And I'd just use one of my parents as the owner if this seems to be the easy route.

I've already made it clearer on my invoice template to avoid this issue in the future...

RichVid

....Got my first car crash on tape...usually I don't sit around and wait for misfortune, but we had a heck of a downpour in our area overnite with major flooding all over...I was shooting cars hitting a flooded patch of the 710 Freeway in Long Beach when someone slammed into someone else who had slowed down...nothing huge but it was good enough to sell...got some great microburst aftermath - trees down on cars all over the place and SOT from startled folks in the area also ...Phew

ewink

Originally posted by Seagate News:
If I could, I'd just start an account under Seagate News, but since it's not a 'real' entity, I can't. How would you make a company a company? I'm assuming a lot of paperwork...And I'd just use one of my parents as the owner if this seems to be the easy route.
It's not much paper work at all.

Go to your bank and set up an account:

Your Name d/b/a Seagate News

If they make you get an EIN, that's not a hassle either. Go to www.irs.gov and call the IRS and get one. It's a 5 minute process.

But I don't think you NEED an EIN for a checking account, since you don't have employees and will simply be reporting your income on Schedule C (I think...)

Legally, setting up a business (in your case a sole proprietorship) is very easy and is cheap. I think you may have to file an assumed business name act at the county - unless you have your real name in your business name.

[ December 30, 2004, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: ewink ]

Code-3

This morning I...

Was fortunate enough to cover the ringing in of the New Year (er...ok, so it wasn't that bad)

While artfully dodging druken revelers, I managed to visit each of the theme rooms (country western, pirate ship, jungle room complete with acrobats). Everyone was nicely dressed and having a good time. And I only walked through one pile of puke.

At one point I started shooting from behind a drink table - when the girl serving asked to not be on camera... because she was naked. (er...) I looked her up and a few times, and she was indeed naked. What I thought were her clothes - was actually paint. Her clothes were literally painted on!!! The men folk, after hearing this, started to crowd around and go in for a closer look. A nervous look quickly crept up on her face... poor girl.

Ah, Happy New Year!

[ January 03, 2005, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: Code-3 ]

Code-3

Twenty minutes before the end of shift...

A 2 alarm blaze breaks out on the second floor of a building with a man trapped inside. I arrive on scene within 13 minutes of the call being dispatched.

Me being my efficient self - hopped out of my truck, grabbed my gear and jumped onto the sidewalk on my way to fire glory. But it wasn't a fire I saw... it was my feet in front of me... in the air.

I had stepped on a patch of ice and proceeded to test that gravity myth.

I got up in immense pain - I landed on my left elbow and suffered some classic whiplash, amongst many, many other things. But my thoughts went to my gear. And there he lay, on the ice - looking thouroughly disappointed with me. Happily, he still worked.

By the time I got to the fire, it had been extinguished. Sigh.

I decided to drop my gear off with the engineers *just in case* When I went to pick it up at the start of my shift... they wouldn't give it back. The screws that hold my battery together are busted, and they found a crack along the base of the camera, near the back. They will need to go in for a closer look. Sigh.

As for myself - I'll be helping my chiropractor pay for that new yatch he wants. (But at this point, I'm quite okay with that!)

In the meantime, I've been advised to keep my wounds on ice... ah the irony.

[ January 03, 2005, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: Code-3 ]

Chicago Dog

... heard an excellent joke while packing up the live truck. Okay, so it was a few nights ago -- this is the first chance I've had to share it.
:p

John walked into his favorite bar with a black backpack. He sauntered down to his regular stool, sat down, and laid the backpack onto the bar. The bartender walked over and asked, "What's with the backpack? You're not gonna keep that on the bar, are ya?"

John held up a finger, gesturing for silence. He opened the bag and pulled out a man no taller than one foot. The bartender stared in amazement, "What the hell?"

John held up his finger again. He reached into the bag a second time. This time, he pulled out a tiny grand piano. He sat the piano next to the foot-tall man. The little man sat down at the piano and began pounding away at the ivories. The melody of "The Entertainer" began to fill the tiny bar.

"What the crap? That's incredible!" the bartender exclaimed. "How did you--"

John reached into the bag once more, pulling out a golden lamp. He handed it to the bartender, saying, "Go ahead. Give it a rub."

The bartender glanced at the lamp, glanced at John, and back to the lamp again. He grabbed it, rubbed it, and -- sure enough -- out popped a genie. This genie, however, looked rushed and weary.

"Alright, pal. Listen -- same with this guy behind me," he gestured to John, "Too many lamps, not enough genies. I'm ridiculously busy. You only get one wish. None of this 'three wishes' crap -- just one."

"That's easy!" the bartender excitedly claimed, "I want a million bucks!"

"Yeah, yeah, sure. Fine." The genie snapped his fingers, and disappeared in a whisp of blue smoke.

A duck entered the bar moments later. The duck quacked.

Another duck entered the bar immediately following. The next duck quacked. So did the next. And the one after that.

Fifteen ducks later, the bartender tried to figure out what the hell was going on. "HEY! I asked for a million bucks, not a million ducks!"

John looked up and replied, "Yeah -- and do you think I asked for a twelve-inch pianist?"

Newshutr

Today I shot an interview with a tsunami survivor who grew up in the very small town I live in. Turns out, he went to HS with my wife and her brother. Actually, he's really good friend with my bro-in law.

Hearing his story of how he was caught in the wave and was 30 feet up in the air because of the wave..then pulled back out to sea about a 1/2 mile was just horrible.

You could see in his eyes that what happened to him, and what devestation he has seen will be with him probably for life.

JTFCM

I shot one of those nice stories about a fellow that really belongs in some sort of third world prison. Not a nice "Cable TV" US Prison.

Seems this 26 year old male decided one day to kill his aunt. A nice 65 year old lady that took him in because he was down on his luck. So he kills her, lights the house on fire, steals her car, crashes it about a quarter of a mile down the road and puts the guy he hit in critical condition in out trauma center.

It made me sad.