Today I....

Terry E. Toller

The pit manuver is old as the hills but the cops just learned it a few years ago. In 1972 through 1974 I was racing superstocks on the 1/4 mile oval, stock cars. If someone was in front of you and they stayed in your way, just tap the inside rear corner on the turn and they ended up in the infield. You see it often even in NASCAR.

To do it properly, the car that pushes the bad guy should continue past the spin. The second cop car should nose up to the bad guy who is now facing 180 degrees from where he was headed. The third car should close in behind the bad guy.

I see the pit being used all the time on Cops and on live LA tv and they don't do it right very often.

ewink, if you could email me back in time, would you please send me back to 1972?

ewink

Sure thing buddy!
mailto:1972@timetravel.org?subject=Terry

BTW, is it true that LAPD has a rule against using force to stop a pursuit?

Watching the pursuits on TV occasionally I notice there are PLENTY of times where the pit or just a good old fashioned 'ram-the-car-into-the-telephone-pole' would have stopped it.

Terry E. Toller

I don't know since I don't work there but I have heard from cops here that there are cities back east that have a NO PURSUIT policy. How stupid! don't want a ticket, just speed away... I think it comes from those 'blue' states...

ewink

Yup. Most cities have a no pursuit policy here in Central Illinois. Only for 'forceable felonies'. So ticket, stolen car, DUI, no chase!

Terry E. Toller

Hey ewink, thanks for emailing me back to the 70's. I know I shouldn't have email because A Gore hasn't invented something called the internet yet but here it is...

I was at 1190 at the state capitol today and Governor Regan told me to say "Hi"...

I had to fill my tank today, can you believe it cost me $8.35! Just a week ago it was only 25 cents a gallon. Damn Republicans and their rich oil companies! :D The local newspaper said today that gas could reach an all time high of 37.9 cents per gallon by the end of the month. I'll sell my car and start walking if it does!

[ November 07, 2004, 02:04 AM: Message edited by: Terry E. Toller ]

ewink

Terry,

When you get to '76, will you find my Mom and tell her that she should hook up with the rich guy, not the poor slimeball that is currently my dad?

I'm bored with poverty.

<threadjacks are fun!>

ewink

HA!

I guess she could do worse. :)

You know what the nice thing is? Everyone is too tied up, you too Terry ;) , in the 2 political threads in Uncensored to care about our threadjack. :)

God bless America!

Terry E. Toller

I quit the other threads. It hurts me to know that so many fellow photographers, even though a minority, claim they don't believe in God.

the best thing to do is pray for them. Besides, when you try to teach a pig to dance, it's a waste of your time and it annoys the pig... :D

Glad you didn't take offense about your mother. I surely didn't mean anything by it other than a joke. The threadjack was shortlived but fun.

Now, what were we all talking about...

Shot the most spectacular accident I've seen in a while (actually, it happened Saturday night). I got home about midnight and, as I was pulling in the driveway, I saw the flash of shorting power primaries. Pretty soon, the fire radio comes alive with the dispatch of the wreck, about a block and a half from my house. Needless to say, I was fist on scene and found a Mustang GT that didn't have anything at all left straight on it laying upside down about 75' past the telephone pole it went through. I figured it would be full of drunk puree, but both of the occupants had managed to get out and take off. Turns out, the car had taken off a fire hydrant about 200 yards or so down the road (I parked right next to where the top of the hydrant was sitting when it landed), flipped and rolled, then went through the pole, which happened to carry a rather major power primary for the town. The 2 kids driving the car ran off and the cops finally found them hiding on a ball field about a quarter mile away, where they refused treatment by the ambulance. I still can't believe they walked away from that one.

Code-3

Well... no spectacular accidents to tell of this weekend...

I did, however, have the pleasure (ahem, sarcasm) to shoot a bunch of 'Halo 2' nerds (about 200) waiting in line outside of the Future Shop to buy the first copies of the game at 00:01 hours. Needless to say - their vocabulary didn't extend much farther than:

"Hey! Put me on camera!! Nice ass!! *whistle, whistle* Hey sexy! Halo 2 kicks ass!"

Meh.

Sounds awful, but I think I would have preferred an MVA!

ewink

Originally posted by Code-3:
Well... no spectacular accidents to tell of this weekend...

I did, however, have the pleasure (ahem, sarcasm) to shoot a bunch of 'Halo 2' nerds (about 200) waiting in line outside of the Future Shop to buy the first copies of the game at 00:01 hours. Needless to say - their vocabulary didn't extend much farther than:

"Hey! Put me on camera!! Nice ass!! *whistle, whistle* Hey sexy! Halo 2 kicks ass!"

Meh.

Sounds awful, but I think I would have preferred an MVA!
Heh... At least you got a variety of taunts. :p I simply get 'put me on tv!'

Sunday was fun. I spent a hour and a half driving around trying to find the house where an elderly lady had her home invaded.

It became painfully obvious that we need a new wall map. So we called about one and they newest one they had was from 1999!!!!

Anywho... Finally found it. Two hours of driving and searching for 8 seconds of video (as we had video of the suspect being caught because he was dumb enough to stop for gas with the vics car in the most heavily patrolled area of the city.)

Most exciting thing to happen in weeks. Has civilization in Springfield actually started to become civilized again?!?!

But robbery season is upon us!

BluesDaddy

Today I did a story on a veteran who was the youngest US Navy sailor to land on D-Day. At the age of FOURTEEN, he made 14 trips onto Omaha beach as the ramp operator of a landing craft. He would drop the ramp as the craft touched the sand. He said on the first few landings, half his troops were mowed down on the ramp by machine guns, and he had to kick them off the ramp in order to pull back to the landing ship safely. On his last trip in, his LCVP was sunk out from under him by a mine.
It is unbelievable what some people did in going to war back then. I'm not usually a big flag-waver, but Veteran's Day is a good time to stop and remember what others have done for our country.

Code-3

Originally posted by BluesDaddy:
It is unbelievable what some people did in going to war back then. I'm not usually a big flag-waver, but Veteran's Day is a good time to stop and remember what others have done for our country.
Too true.

Natural Born Stringer

...realized that I haven't shot any video in a really long time. I really need to get off my lazy butt and start shooting again. Maybe even sell something.... naah. It's more fun to sit here and post. Screw the news.

addixicon

Today I ...
...was ankle deep in tobacco juice, ruined 1 pr of shoes, 1 pr of socks, 1 pr of jeans. A Tobacco warehouse caught fire, and will smolder for days, the fire folks let us get as close to the fire as we could stand, so we did lives all morning, by the time the AM show ended, the fire water runoff was black, and smelled like tobacco spit. Now I have one pair of jeans stained black from the ankle down. Im going to hang them in the newsroom until the station decides to replace them. I mean jeans aint cheap.

rusticrub

Today I...spent 3 hours in the edit bay, the day after spending 6 hours in the edit bay on my sweeps piece. 10p show came, and I'm sitting in the news room watching. (the piece was dimly shot, with a good deal of smoke in the room...fire story...and looked great in the bays) When the story aired, it looked like it had black holes. Turns out, the VT machine has issues, and the vid output has been looking dark. Such a disappointment...especially when there really isn't anyone to blame.

RichVid

......I shot a guy trapped in a chimney (while trying to break into a home)...He came out as they always do, covered in soot and half-dead (God knows how long he was in there)...little Hispanic guy...After FD rescued him, the cops cuff him and are walking him to the patrol car when one of the other cams jumps right in his face with the SunGun at full bore and the guy starts yelling "WHY'D YA DO IT? WHY'D YA GO IN THE CHIMNEY?!?!?" over and over...the poor guy's just got a blank stare...this is 0330 in the AM and there's like 4 cameras there...I lean into the guy's shotgun and blurt out "NO HABLA INGLES!!"...I couldn't help myself - The Young Buck was ready to rumble but I just walked back to the car...yawn

Tazam77

WOW Rich Vid , Just as I read this my station ran the video!! 11:35 kicker on our ABC affiliate! That was weird :eek:

What do you mean by NO HABLA INGLES??? I have been reading it over and over and over. I am sure it is simple i just can't get it.