Today I....

Frank McBride

Originally posted by FTOJRLST:
The Standup open and close...or 'look live' was our decision. There was some brief discussion about a live shot, but it didn't pan out. I don't generally like look lives but it worked in this case. I also thought the package as a whole turned out really well....nats breaks...great sequences...the works.
I asked about that wondering if there is a trend toward the look-lives as a requirement, which was the case at my previous station. I'm not a big fan of them, and less of one when they are part of an unbending policy. They can serve a purpose, though. That did sound like a seriously long day. I hope you got the next one off.

FMc

FTOJRLST

Yeah, I was off Saturday, but had to get up early with the wife to go to yard sales. Found a really neat Vintage Atari at one, so I guess it was worth it.

queen of blue

Today I am.... sitting in front of my very first Avid. I'm so excited I could spit!

Now if you don't mind, I've got a huge learning curve to climb. :D :D :D :D :D

Lost in Alaska

Originally posted by queen of blue:
Today I am.... sitting in front of my very first Avid. I'm so excited I could spit!

Now if you don't mind, I've got a huge learning curve to climb. :D :D :D :D :D
I found Avids very easy to learn. BTW I am slightly jealous. Our NLEs were put on hold indefinately dur to funding problems.

queen of blue

Originally posted by Lost in Alaska:
... turn 30. God I feel old.
Wait til you turn 34... then you'll really feel old!

It does look easy to learn. We didn't get anything but the tutorial DVD, but the "How to use Avid" book is on order. I don't expect EDITING to be a problem, it's going to be the learning the basics of DV that I find hard. So much math!

And don't be jealous, I screamed bloody murder for nearly 3 years to get it. I've only succeeded now because the old yucky Casablancas are on their very last leg .... heck, they're on their last toehold!

Ok, back to it. Brian (the coworker at the next desk) says that I wasn't this excited when I started dating my significant other. I'm not entirely sure that an egagement ring would have me showing off like this!

Anton Saur

Actually it was last night...

I did a live pkg on the World Championship Coon Hunt.

I felt proud that I could bring this huge news story to our viewers.

Lenslinger

Today I

...almost choked on my own vomit when a certain anchor threw a first-class hissy fit because her favorite chair was missing from her cubicle.

Seems her more than ample backside wasn't enough to keep her properly padded, so she launched a hard target search for said throne - soon finding it underneath a hapless photog.

The shooter had no idea it was her chair and said as much, but it didn't stop Queen Useless from berating him and wheeling the chair back to her kingdom - a cubicle festooned with gaudy framed pictures and self-absorbed mementos yet strikingly devoid of any work materials.

All who witnessed the Great Chair Offensive merely solidified their contempt for this foul woman, but it didn't stop management from backing her up. Now a tersely worded sign adorns the back of said chair, warning all the little people to stay away from the magic seat. Meanwhile, my chair could erupt in spontaneous combustion and the suits wouldn't blink an eye at my pain and suffering. I've been in this business long enough not to expect equity, but this latest championing of a spoiled glass-reader does nothing but plummet morale.

Truth be told, today's incident is MINISCULE compared to earlier episodes of selfishness from this vile human cartoon. While I cannot divulge much now, rest assured I will someday expose this bloated creature for what she is - the very worst in a truly unlikable breed. I've known all along her antics would make a fat chapter in my memoirs, but today it morphed into its own book...

Habits of a TV News Diva coming to a bookstore or website near you...

ARRRGH! I've already revealed too much. For now, I'll shut up - but as God as my witness I WILL TELL THE TALE someday, and even the most jaded TV vet may have a hard time believing it. Until then, I have some pilfered 8x10 glossies to burn...

Originally posted by Lenslinger:
Today I

...almost choked on my own vomit when a certain anchor threw a first-class hissy fit because her favorite chair was missing from her cubicle.

Seems her more than ample backside wasn't enough to keep her properly padded, so she launched a hard target search for said throne - soon finding it underneath a hapless photog.

The shooter had no idea it was her chair and said as much, but it didn't stop Queen Useless from berating him and wheeling the chair back to her kingdom - a cubicle festooned with gaudy framed pictures and self-absorbed mementos yet strikingly devoid of any work materials.

All who witnessed the Great Chair Offensive merely solidified their contempt for this foul woman, but it didn't stop management from backing her up. Now a tersely worded sign adorns the back of said chair, warning all the little people to stay away from the magic seat. Meanwhile, my chair could erupt in spontaneous combustion and the suits wouldn't blink an eye at my pain and suffering. I've been in this business long enough not to expect equity, but this latest championing of a spoiled glass-reader does nothing but plummet morale.

Truth be told, today's incident is MINISCULE compared to earlier episodes of selfishness from this vile human cartoon. While I cannot divulge much now, rest assured I will someday expose this bloated creature for what she is - the very worst in a truly unlikable breed. I've known all along her antics would make a fat chapter in my memoirs, but today it morphed into its own book...

ARRRGH! I've already revealed too much. For now, I'll shut up - but as God as my witness I WILL TELL THE TALE someday, and even the most jaded TV vet may have a hard time believing it. Until then, I have some pilfered 8x10 glossies to burn...
hear hear Lenslinger...

Originally posted by product of communism:
quote: Originally posted by Lenslinger:
Today I

hear hear Lenslinger...
Yup..it is " Crystal " clear to me! :mad:

Tazam77

Edited a 1:40 pack in 30 min. . . . Which is good for me!

Even had to add a bite I missed. :)

Made slot and the live shot. . . . then clunk clunk clunk generator ran out of gas!! WHAT A DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good learning experience. I will never let the live truck get under 1/4 a tank EVER again.

ewink

Train derailment! Cars containing hydrocloric acid! KSDK even brought up their chopper! Eventually :p

(Well, Sunday, not today)

Spent 8 hours in Stonington, Illinois.

Never heard of it? Neither did I. lol. But dealing with the police on the roads made me more and more wish we had a California type law that would make the police let them through.

This marks the fifth weekend in a row I have had to travel 30+ miles out of town for breaking news. Some of you may consider that nothing but at my station we rarely travel 10 miles from the station.

We got our asses kick by the ABC station which was only 10 minutes away from the accident site, but damn it, we (eventually :p ) got a helicoptor to respond!

<KSDK, if you are reading this, it's all in fun. I really do love you guys...>

And I am bored now. I need to go buy my own equipment so I can string for my own station. lol

Code-3

I shot a Punk house wrecker party on one of my overnights recently that quickly turned into a riot - complete with tear gas, riot police, and a house (amonsgt other things) set ablaze.

The house, along with the two others beside it, were slated to be demolished. So the punk tenants renting the place (and I mean true punks, chains, pink/blue hair, nose rings and mohawks) decided that they would aid in the tearing down - by setting the place on fire. Now I suppose that could have been alright if the houses were in some large field somewhere, away from anything else, but they weren't, they were right next to several other houses, one of of which is home to an elderly lady.

Police lines were quickly erected, and my truck ended up boxed in by police cars (I arrived before it got completely out of control - and found a great parking spot across the street from all the action...little did I know...) So when I wanted to return to my truck for another battery and my tripod - I was plumb out of luck. The police wouldn't let me near it.

I was the only news camera there for 30 minutes capturing all the delinquent goodness - and some harrasment from displaced punks who told me to 'get a real job' expletive, expletive and something about my mother.

The whole thing started just after 23:00 and I had to wait around till 03:30 to get a clip from our police inspector. I must admit, I was quite pleased with myself when it was all said and done. I had all the great footage, the competition didn't arrive until after it had died down. I had all my clips, fire chief, police, and witnesses. And I was able to do all this on top of a massive cold - stuffed up nose, foggy head, nausea...

So the next day I was bumming around the station after my shift when one of our reporters comes up to me.

"So you were right there at the riot, right"
Me: "Yes"
Reporter: "So just one question...did you not have tripod?? I mean, did you forget it or something??"
Me: "It was a riot??!!"
Reporter: "Cause you had some shaky shots... people were cursing your name. Stuff always looks better with a tripod - in future you should always use it. At least buy a monopod."

I guess you can't please everyone. After that I got up, bit my lip, and took my tired, sick ass home to bed. And I was reminded why I enjoy working the night shift.... no reporters.

ewink

Julia - Welcome to the board!

I will side with you on this. A tripod has it's place. A riot is not it.

Mobility is your friend during any active spot news story. I will not use my sticks on anything where I may have to move quickly or the situation could still be not 100% under control.

For instance, Tuesday I went to a fatal train derailment (another one...) I wasn't going anywhere, the train wasn't going anywhere, the poor man under the train wasn't going anywhere. I used the sticks.

Today, a hot air ballon crashed next to the intersate. I used the sticks.

Tonight, Train Vs Car where the ppl in the car took off running and the car was fully engulfed.

I shouldered it.

Same with fires. Homicides, sticks. Car ax, usually shoulder depending on how late I get there.

I get right up in the action and sometimes that is NOT a good place to set up the sticks. Any desk jockey (or hell photog) that doesn't understand that is a bafoon. :)