Today I....

FOXLight

A highway drive by shooting...the victim died...A nightclub shooting...and an officer injured/ assaulted.... Last night's homicide makes the 3rd in 4 days of work...man Columbus, Oh is becoming a deadly place to live...

BluesDaddy

...last night... Got called out to a regional airport about 40 minutes away. There was a "suspicious bag" on a jet getting ready to leave. The EOD team (bomb squad) from the nearby Marine base was called in to blow it up if neccesary. I got the call at 9PM, turned out later it happened at 6PM! Got sound with a detective from the Sheriff's Office who was still there. Went in the terminal to get shots of people waiting in line to re-book on flights for the next morning. I asked a TSA goon if there was a spot where I could get a shot of the airplane. He said no. According to him, there was no place accessible to civilians with a view of the airplane. By the way this is one of those one-gate, walk-on-the-concrete-to-get-to-the-plane airports. He insisted that I would not be able to get a shot of the plane. I went outside and walked about 20 yards across some grass to the perimeter fence, and voila! there is the plane about 30 yards away. TSA moron. Got the shots and went back to the terminal to interview passengers. Got chased out onto the sidewalk by TSA. Asked a Marine who was travelling if he could talk to me. He insisted that he was told not to talk about it. But I interviewed another passenger who denied this. All in all, a weird night.
Oh yeah, the "suspicious item" was a professional water pick that a dentist was taking to a conference.

RichVid

Hiked about 700 feet down a cliff to get some footage of a plane crash on a beach here... One of those ad-banner planes that sounds like a lawnmower pooped out and went down in area with nothing but rocks and cliffs...Pilot came out unscathed...Got some good pictures but after the hike UP, my hamstrings are telling me it wasn't worth it. This is another example of when to use a 3CCD handycam as opposed to a 15 pound rig...

Natural Born Stringer

Of course the big cam guys will argue that their long lenses could have gotten them this same shot with no hiking involved... :D

But yeah, if you gotta trudge down (and more importantly UP) a mountain to get your shots, a handicam is the way to go. I did my share of hiking with my betacam. It sucked. On beta you have to hike it with a tripod too, because by the time you get where you need to be for the shot your legs and arms will be like jell-o and there's no way you can hold 'er steady enough off the shoulder. At least I couldn't. Everytime some fool would run their car into a ravine I'd start muttering under my breath.

Ahhh, the good old days. :D

Run 'n' Get 'em

Started my new job at WBTW... Orientation at the station in Florence... They tell me "my orientation will finish at Myrtle Beach" (about an hour drive)...

I get to the beach and i'm sitting around for about 30 mins. before I get sent for a sot/vo interview w/ a "field leader" in sharks b/c of a shark bite... Then the fun begins, Breaking news at 4:30... A banner plane crash into the atlantic, we get there... get on the bird (couldn't get a microwave out for some reason) and front it live even w/ v/o for 5 and 6... pack up and head back

Now I'm in the lovely Red Roof Inns, courtesy Media General... I love this job! :D

EDIT: Forgot something... Go watch my video! http://www.wbtw.com Look under "Online Extras" at the Multimedia section, hit the drop down menu and pick today's date... 8/22 What'd ya think?? Anything about the plane crash was me.

[ August 22, 2005, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: BTW-Shooter ]

RichVid

...the day after that plane crashed out here, another plane from the same company dropped a banner on a neighborhood, draping over some backyards and trees, and causing a power outage to 2,000+ residents-the company that was pulling the banners has had their planes grounded out of Long Beach pending a safety audit by the FAA...Nice "stringer segue" from one story one day to another the next.

Run 'n' Get 'em

...turned a boring pack on school buses and gas prices... at least the reporter was cool and let me try new stuff.

[ August 23, 2005, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: BTW-Shooter ]

Responded to a shooting, where police where investigating a stolen vehicle. Owner of the house comes out waving a handgun at police, shots fired, homeowner killed. Get out there to shoot some video, crazy guy starts throwing rocks at me shouting expletives. Roll on all of it, they used it in the show bleeped and blurred of course.

SeagateNews

rolled up on an accident--PD o/s, no FD yet...tripod, no camera, as I was on my way back from a long day at college...

I flash my FOX Toledo ID as I roll up, just to pass traffic. Hop out and grab my EMT kit and flares from my trunk...ended up coaching someone doing C-spine, trying to get the dude to hold still, and checkin on his 3-4 yo son in the back seat.

As soon as FD rolled up, I raced home to grab my camera. Made it back as the helo was landing, shot the extrication, them loading him up...got good sound from a girl who worked nearby and heard it all happen.

Troopers said speed and alcohol were what made the teenager in the SB lane swerve, overcorrect, and slam into the NB car with dad and kid inside. Kid, teen OK--dad lifeflighted...I didn't think it looked too bad, but the cops said otherwise...

[ August 25, 2005, 01:47 AM: Message edited by: Seagate News ]

NorthShore

...had a producer erase my reporters script 45 minutes before the show and then my editor crashed... :mad: :mad: :mad: ...and I still hit my slot... :D :D :D

Sometimes producers can be so stooopiddd!!!

PhotogFromFL

Got to go to Columbia for the Ol' Ball Coach's return to college football. I have to say thank you to the crews at WIS for letting us scale your sat truck for some great lives.

SeagateNews

Today I shot the largest fire I have ever seen--I saw the smoke 30 miles away. Six houses burned to the ground...

click here

I also did my first live-shot...and I was thrilled.

Very exciting day...

Natural Born Stringer

Hey seagate...

The link you posted is broken, but it can now be found here. http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050907/NEWS07/50907003

Some free advice because I know you're still new: KEEP. ON. THIS. STORY. - seriously. The FD chief is feeding you guys a line of crap on purpose - they know damn well it was arson but they don't want the suspect to rabbit on them.

My advise is that you listen VERY CLOSELY to the scanner over the next couple weeks. Look up the penal code in your area for arson and if you hear they are setting up a raid on an arson suspect, find out where and BE THERE. Don't make a big show of it, stay out of sight, get the suspect on video first and then make your presence known, because they will hide him from you if they know you are there.

Trust me, you will go from "the newbie" to "Tha BOMB" if you get that arrest on tape. People at your station will talk about that for years.

Good luck, and stay with it!

newshooter

Wow, are arson arrests that exciting where your at? We 2 or 3 arsons every week. Most of them go unnoticed because they're so common and just kids playing with matches.

Even when they're huge fires like that, the PD's around here don't set up a sting. They issue a warrent and serve it.....nothing goes out over the scanner. In 10 years here, I've never even heard of a standoff over a fire.

Run 'n' Get 'em

...Hurricane Ophelia prep stuff, yippie skippie

The funniest part of my day happened while I was setting up my live shot... I'm on the phone w/ master control and they are having trouble tuning my shot in from where I was at, finally the weekend producer (who apparantely likes to hangout in MC) jumps on the phone and starts to say "You know you could just inch the truck up with the mast still up"... I cut her off somewhere around "with" with "No, Shut up...If i'm doing the live shot and the mast is up that truck ain't moving"

I'm expecting a "nasty" email sometime in the next few days...but it was worth it.

Sharp Shooter

...shot a celebrity dinner in honour of John Allen Cameron, had my meal break and cruised for hot shots. Surprise! No shootings in the city tonight....yet!
S.S.

RichVid

Tried to shoot another plane crash just outside Long Beach Airport earlier today...lite plane down just after takeoff into the back of a car dealership in a massive fireball. Access with local FD was good prior to law enforcement shutting everything down but the problem was, the scene was SMALL...this aircraft went from 300+MPH in a dive to 0MPH in the space of about 20 feet and was compacted into something about the size of a trash dumpster. This was all in a small rear lot fenced in on all sides at the end of a long driveway. And there were 2 fatalities. No way to shoot wide either. These poor people were all over the place. I packed it up and left. The creepy thing was today's 9-11.