Today I....

Run 'n' Get 'em

Rolled up onto an MVA...One person dead, One person critical (both arms amputated in the ax)... Family is still around and spots me rolling up and greets me with a "What the h### are you doing here? Get out of here before I kick your a$$ and get myself thrown in jail". Cop gets him off me but asks me to leave b/c he can't guarantee my safety and there isn't anyone in law enforcement that could watch my back while I shoot on scene.

Call station and updated them...They ask me to get cop's name and badge. Walk to to cop, no cam or sticks, to get the info and same dude basically yells the same thing along with a "Didn't I tell you to get the f### out of here?" Cop shuts him up again and tells me that if I want to shoot the AX I'll need to go around the same way EVERYBODY else on the highway (Major highway for the area, entire northbound side shut down a block each side of the AX).

45 minutes later... Made my way around the 3 blocks...Shoot the AX (with my leatherman in my pocket), Turns out guy is a member of one of the local snobbery and is very vindictive so I have a cop come to the station to get his threats documented on a police report just-in-case.

That was my main thing outside of editing our Capitol City stringer's feed (changing the sig-out). Great day, ain't it?

[ October 14, 2005, 02:20 AM: Message edited by: Run 'n' Get 'em ]

phere126

went to a call of police activity. Come to find out the guys were held up in this row home. Swat shows up and gets the bad guys out, at that moment we hear shots fired in the newr distance. the police that were on the 1st scent drew guns and ran to the next. what a rush.
Then I shot an uprooted tree that blocked a whole city block.

RichVid

...actually Sunday, helped an old friend who has been out of the biz for awhile move some spot news extraordinaire ... He rolled up on a crash in the San Fernando Valley with a man trapped in a burning car...got some pretty compelling footage and acutally dumped 2 fire extinguishers into the fire WHILE he was rolling (POS 3 CCD handycam)...LAPD showed up and the two officers were instrumental in getting the victim out before the car was fully involved... the 6 fire extinguishers emptied held the fire at bay and bought them a few extra minutes...once the guy was out the car was engulfed! He suffered a broken leg/pelvis (leg was pinned under the dash)...

Link to video here:

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/5105160/detail.html?subid=10101581

hey richvid that vid you have there got aired in springfield mass tonight. It was realy amazeing nasty situation though especialy at the end where the car was just melting.

RichVid

The shooter used to freelance alot here in the L.A. area until a few months ago, when he opened a restaurant in the valley... As I said, he rolled up on it and even tho he doesn't shoot much anymore, he carries his VX2100 everywhere... So after he shoots the story, he races to the local Tribune affiliate, where I'm at, so he can feed it out to everyone...He hadn't even seen it himself...we took one look at it and made sure he let everyone including networks know, and made sure all entities were punched up on the switch feed for him...He's off to the race$...LAPD will probably give the 2 officers Medals of Valor due to the tape...

queen of blue

Richvid - I saw that video too, pass on our kudos to everyone involved. The guy shoots while doing the good samaritan deeds - Brilliant! Guess that takes the cake for all those "would you help or shoot" threads we get going. Why not do both!

It was just an incredible thing to see. Plus, LAPD really needed the good PR, they've been so bashed on the last couple of years.

INLANDNEWS

Kudos big time to him...video was awesome... yesterday shot a funeral for a Sheriff's deputy on a police motorcycle killed in a traffic collision last week. Sad since I knew the deputy personally.

Run 'n' Get 'em

Standoff... Guy was a Vietnam vet, thought he could be his "own state" so he made his own POW plates and license... Trooper pulled him over and called him on it and he bailed into his house and pulled a gun on the trooper. Guess they were right there by the house...

It's 2:45am... The standoff is still going as far as I know, I was relieved at 1am.

[ October 20, 2005, 02:45 AM: Message edited by: Run 'n' Get 'em ]

SeagateNews

Today, er, yesterday I edited two packs...one was our weekly "most wanted" tie-in, the other a train vs train head-on collision. A total of 3 hours editing...all I can think now is "more practice..."

Run 'n' Get 'em

A pkg and a vo/sot today... Pkg was a fluffer on a surfing contest and the vo/sot was a charity golf tournament...

Gotta love weekend duty :D

Natural Born Stringer

...broke today's local big spot news story:

Chandler, double shooting, suspect lit his house on fire, went to another location and shot a woman and then himself. Wow, we sure do grow a special breed of looney out here! Just came out over the scanner a little while ago. If you subscribe to APSN then you got the info from me. :D I dispatch for them since I really can't go shoot much these days.

Wish I wasn't at work right now - I'd go down there and say hello. The scene's about 5-10 miles from here. Mind those PIO's now fella's...

INLANDNEWS

<yesterday> Was getting gas when a house fire started right around the corner. PD had just got the victims out of the house when it started to go up in flames. Got shots of fire department rolling up yanking hoses off the fire truck. Right place right time!

News Active

Well, actually yesterday.. I sold my Chevy Blazer and bought Tahoe! I still can't quite understand how much more space I've got now!

I quess I need to buy new camera cage and some other equipment to put into it.. :)

TightShot

Been sick all week, but because I am the only female photog, am the special shooter for a piece we are doing. A producer at our station is going through breast cancer treatment and I shot some of her chemo, interviewed her a couple of times and her doctor over the past month. But this morning, I got to be in the OR while they performed the mastectomy.

I arrived at the hospital just past 7 a.m. The sun was just starting to rise. The charge nurse first led me back to a small lounge area/locker room, where I stripped down to my underwear and donned a pair of scrubs. I covered my shoes, stuffed my hair up in one of those oh-so-flattering shower caps and put on my Vader mask (the surgeon's mask).
We went to my producer's room, where I did a quick interview with her, the early morning light gleaming on her clean shaven head. She was chipper and bright-eyed, eager to get this cancer off her body and away. Within twenty minutes, we had made it back to the OR. A nurse had led me through beforehand to show me the layout of the room and exactly where I could stand. I had to stay one foot away from everything around the table.
They wheeled her in and slid her over to the operating table. Her drugs began to kick in and her eyes closed. They put a tube down her throat and taped her eyelids shut, strapped down her arms and began to lay the drapes. I thought, "****, man. This is it." I was nervous for her, excited to be able to shoot it, and terrified that I'd mess it up somehow. I shot it all off the shoulder.
They began to cut the flesh, using a cauterizing cutting torch so that there was little blood. I could see the flesh separating. The surgeon pulled the skin back as he cut, peeling up a thick layer of tissue. I zoomed in on his hands working, the tools clinking, as machines beeped softly in the background. Smoke rose in little wisps and the charred-sweet smell of burnt flesh filled the air. The surgeon spoke to me as he cut. "We are separating the breast from the breast wall," he said. This woman who was, in a way, my boss, my producer, was nearly invisible beneath all the sheets, her face obscured with thin white towels.
I left then. I had classes to attend. I visited her later tonight and she was, again, as she was this morning prior to surgery, bright-eyed and in good spirits. What a brave woman. What an awesome thing to get to be a part of. Man, THIS is what I am going to miss about shooting.

Frank McBride

...was assigned a story using a criminal sentencing as its peg. We learned upon arriving at the courthouse that the judge is one that allows zero access. No sound, no camera, no shooting through the windows. Only in the hallway would we get anything, and the defendant would not be coming out that way. We warned the producer that this may not happen.

We shot a little in the hallway, then decided we should go to a church that had been victimized by the guy. They almost let us shoot a teleconference with their pastor who is overseas, then decided they didn't want it known where he was because of unrest there. (I don't understand that, either). We settled for 2 church workers doing a little work at their food pantry.

Early on we were convinced this was going to get axed because it just didn't seem strong enough for November, but it actually wasn't that bad. You can take a look here if you want.

http://www.khou.com/perl/common/video/wmPlayer.pl?title=www.khou.com/campbell6_051110.wmv

Sorry I didn't make that neater. I'm tired. Good night.

FMc

yellowbeta

Last month I was at a fire. The dork tried to light his wife and kid on fire. Instead he caught himself on fire and died.

F4 Fan

Two live-shots and a stand up for CNBC, b-roll for a package, cut tracks for the package in the van. One run to Starbucks; shopped at Best Buy afterwards. Network news, it's a living.