Toying with LED lights.

Nino

Happy New Year, Nino,

Does the dimmer change the color temp of the LED's?

With the soft boxes, the "harshness" of the LED's are soften?
Happy New Year,

Visually I didn't see any color changes but I didn't get the chance to give them a good test; I will, soon I hope.

Unquestionably softer, probably the equivalent of a similar size softbox.

After I get the chance of running some tests I'll post the results.

My objective is to assemble a complete light kit for interviews totally wireless that would give me results close to what I currently use. There are many times that we spend more time than anything else looking for power, distributing power to avoid tripping circuits, uncoiling and coiling electrical extension, worry about audio interferences, not to mention carrying bags of electrical cords. I estimate that this would save one third of set up time if I'm successful in putting this kit together.

At least for now this would not be a substitution to my current equipment but just an addition.

Necktie Boy

Hi Nino,

It has been a few months since you posted anything on your LED lights. Have you been using them? And new finds? Are they part of your really lighting kit?

Thanks!

svp

I'm going to be purchasing the Litepanels 1x1 Bi-Color LED's in the near future. Anyone else use these yet?

Nino

I know I know, sorry, I said that I was going to post some results on LED, but things have been kind of busy around here.

I’m up to six LED lights now and probably more coming; total investment about 3K.

For the last month they’ve been hanging from a ceiling as we are working on a long project to be completed before the NFL draft. Now they are talking about making this project a permanent one, meaning that those LED will stay on that ceiling and I will end up getting a new set.

No way on earth that I would spend 2K and upward for one single light, I use too many. None of the negatives that the expensive light manufacturers told me would happen to the less expensive units happen yet; and they’ve been hanging from a ceiling lit for stretch of ten hours.

I’ve been using the Cool Lights and so far no problems. I know they are working on new models so I’ll wait before adding more lights.

Keep in mind that in my opinion these lights are not substituting any of my current lights. They are a new addition for special projects or project that I felt lighting could use some changes and expedite the set-up time.

Battery operation of course is a big plus and I can use the same batteries as my cameras.

The reason that I went with the Cool Lights is because they are the only one that make a soft box for their larger units, that allowed me to also use them for interviews where there’s no time to set up my regular lights, using batteries cut down the set up time by one third or I use them where I know there’s a problem with power.

It’s a new tool and not a replacement.

Stoney

I'm about to jump into the LED craze

I am wondering what is the latest people think about LED fixtures. An hour on the net, I've seen that many people like the Cool Lights 600 spot, w/ softbox.

Any additions to that list that are out there, that anyone has tested?

The Zylights look awesome, but I don't think I have the budget. Plus, I hear they are heavy and can't work off of cam batts, just batt belts or AC. I am not going to buy heavy batts for a light.

The Lightpanels 1x1 looks good, but I know folks who say they don't travel well and break easily. Lots of broken diodes from plane trips. I have used the LP on-cam light, and have seen lots of breakage issues with knobs and cable connectors.

I'm looking for a good travel kit, something that is light, small, and gets me through a professional looking interview. I have divas, arri's, and lowels... but I need something really, really portable.

Nino's posts are good, real life info. If you are still around Nino, any thoughts?

editor_dude

I have been working with both the litepanels 1x1 and the cool lights 600 with soft box.
the bigest drawback with the litepanels are the power cable is only 6ft., no barn doors and no soft box available. the litepanels filter kit has two kinds of diffusion, they are definatly need as a bare open face is kinda harsh. The kit case is like a simi soft sided trunk with wheels. The case takes up a lot of space and I wouldn't trust it to an airline.

The cool lights 600 is not made as well as the litepanles, there is no protection for the leds, but it does come with barn doors that when closed will protect the led's. The stand mount is bolted to the bottem of the light and with some ruff hanleing could be broken off. The case I have been transporting the 600 is a storm case im2700.
The soft box works well but does not fit in the storm case, the softbox comes with two bags a small round bag that will hold the soft box in a round fold up like a reflector, I can't figure out how to get it into this shape, the other bag is a triangle shape bag that the box just folds in the middle, this is a no brainer to do. I also have the anton bauer mont on the back of this light, this has come in very handy having to light talent in moving vehicles. the 600 draws to much power for an old pro pac. but the new Dionic's have no problems.

I am in a rush to get out of the door, so I hope this helps. If I can answer any questions let me know and I apoligize in advance for my bad spelling.

editor_dude

yesterday I had a chance to do a side by side on the lite panels 56k spot vs the cool lights 600 spot 56k. The lights were setup side by side at a distance of 4ft from the wall. The dispersion pattern seemed the same for both lights. The output for the lite panel was 2000 lux, the cool lights 600 was 4000 lux. I found the results kinda interesting.

Color temps
lite panels 56k spot 5610
cool lights 600 56k spot 5710
I used a Gosen color pro meter for all readings.
dimming had no effect on color temp for either light

Last edited:

BluesCam

The Cool Lights website recommends the flood version for keying, but I have seen posts where folks recommend the spot instead. Any thoughts on this? Thx.

Nino

The Cool Lights website recommends the flood version for keying, but I have seen posts where folks recommend the spot instead. Any thoughts on this? Thx.
I have six Cool Lights (3 600 and 3 256) and they are all spots. I wanted a better throw and if I need to spread the light I use diffusing gels. I also have two of their softboxes that works very well for keying subject or for any soft light needs.

If I need a wider spread I mount two lights on a bracket.

I also just made a bracket that I can mount 3 lights.

Cool Lights should soon have available their new 1K light. I'll sure be getting two of those and I'll let you know how they work.

2000lux

Nino, I was wondering how those Cool Lights LEDs are working out for you? Are you still using them? Are they a good alternative to fluorescents? Do you use the 5600K ones and gel them down to 3200K? Just the 3200K ones? Both? Did they ever come out with a 1K?

Nino

Nino, I was wondering how those Cool Lights LEDs are working out for you? Are you still using them? Are they a good alternative to fluorescents? Do you use the 5600K ones and gel them down to 3200K? Just the 3200K ones? Both? Did they ever come out with a 1K?
After using LED for over a year I came to he conclusion that LED is not substituting any of my lights, it’s a new and very convenient addition to my arsenal of light. For many jobs it a time saver and often the only solution short of placing a generator outside. The low power consumption and battery power is the main advantage. Running cool is also a plus but I get that from my Kinos

LED fixtures don't give me the quality that I look for and get from my Kinos or Rifas, and I don’t see anything in the making that will change that anytime soon.

I don’t mix lights, particularly on the subject, I might use tungsten fresnel on the background as it doesn’t matter if colors are a bit off, I actually like when my background is warmer, when i use my standard 3200 lights I often add CTO to my background tungsten.

With the Cool Lights I use the -green filter that is supplied with the light as I noticed a slight greenish tint on the picture that white balancing doesn’t appear to remove but the filter does. The downside is that the filter reduces the output, is not important when using bare light but with the soft box is sometime a problem.

I've used them only on 5600 so far, the gel cuts the output too much. If I have to combine lights I prefer to add CTB to my tungsten light (mostly fresnels) and bring those up close to 5600.

Judging from the flood of e-mails that I get from manufacturers of LED products in China, the next NAB will be an LED show as far as lighting goes. Last year there were so many that I gave up trying to look in depth at new LED products, this year I’ll try to dedicate a little more time. Most of the new stuff the I’ve seen there was pure junk. I also hope that chinese manufacturers sent sales people who speak english. Don’t get me wrong I love cute smiles, but it was frustrating asking technical questions and getting smiles in return.

Looks like Cool Lights is running behind schedule in releasing their new 1K light, it was scheduled to be available this past summer. I had good luck with Cool Light and any problem was quickly resolved.

I treat all my equipment with kids gloves and LED needs a little extra care, they are not built to take rough handling like most lights used to be. TLC is in order. Of course I'm sure that the $2000 Light Panels are built much better, but I can get for of the other for the price of one. If I ever start using LED more frequently I will then look for a better built product, but until then the Cool Lights work just fine.

freedom

Regarding the use of the spot version of the LED light panels...add a layer of tough SILK. It is a thin diffusion that will not cut the light output much at all. But the silky lines will do a very nice job of spreading the light. You set the lines vertical to spread the light horizontal creating an oval pattern out of a round patterned light. Works very well.

Tough silk also does a very nice job of getting rid of the double shadow from an open face light.

dhart

Since I'd just spent a ton of money on renting some lite panels so I thought I'd pickup a unit of my own. Did a little research and decided on the Fancier 1000 LED Light Panel, dimmable and 12/V operation all under $500. http://fancierstudio.com/1000-led-light-panel-dimmable-light-p1000.html You know what they say about too good to be true...arrived DOA :-( In retrospect my first clue might have been Francier Studios also sells "tattoo kits" :) Luckily Amazon has a no-hassle return policy.

Berkeley Shooter

Another brand of LED's that seem comparable to Cool Lights is Flo Light. I've got their 256 LED camera light. I've been using it for a few months. It seems well built and works well. Only thing I don't like is that it shipped with a flakey shoe mounting attachment, worthless on broadcast cameras. Here's the link for their 1024 LED dimmable fixture. http://www.flolight.com/led-lighting/microbeam-1024-high-powered-led-video-light.html The company is located in the SF Bay Area so I'll head down there soon and report back after I see the fixture.