Toying with LED lights.

your boy

I just got two more cool light 600's...
I keep the 1/4 minus green always in with some light diffusion taped to the filter -- so I still have room for the CTO if I need it.

In over a year I've only had one complaint, they have a tendency to flicker when dimmed for a few minutes and they sometimes get brighter (slightly) if you have them dimmed for a long time (2 hours). They have a service guy here in Phoenix but it's not bothered me enough to get it look at.

All in all I think they a great with a little modification. I like them a lot better than Kinos.

Stoney

Ikan LEDs

I picked up a few Ikan kits. These are ok, not top quality and they do have a slight green tint, common with LED's. I had to outfit a three month shoot I'm on in Afghanistan, and I needed to do it in a few weeks time.

I wanted to go with Cool Lights and their kits... but they were a total PITA to deal with. First, they were low on stock and second, they would not accept a credit card and wanted a bank transfer. Bunk.

I went with Ikan instead. I've had good customer support. The kits are the smaller on camera light (ID155 deluxe kit: http://www.ikancorp.com/productInfo.php?id=270) and the larger stand mount (ID500 light head: http://www.ikancorp.com/productInfo.php?id=216). They are ok, not perfect. The 200 is plastic and cheap housing, not anything like a lightpanel design... but it has held up really well out here. It gets beat on regularly and is tough. I am surprised.

The 500 light is decent too. It is beefier metal construction. The barn doors are just top and bottom flaps. Light is surprisingly bright. Not very good for a softbox, though, unless you rigged something up and could keep your light in close to subject. I don't think they offer a softbox.

For both kits, I picked up battery mounts (v-mount for the larger light and Sony "L" mount for the smaller on cam light). The on cam light was a battery kit, with charger, L battery , and adapter plate, all in a soft case. Not bad. Both sized LED fixtures will run very long on battery power, no complaints. They also come with AC adapters and on-board dimmers.

I built up nice Peli Storm cases for the big lights and I think that is essential to keep them from getting beat up in the field. They just are not bulletproof... so they need good, padded cases.

As for quality of light... well they are not Arri or Kino's. They have no real nice quality of throw to them, not very soft and kind of difficult to control. They are what they are... a good option for battery powered lighting out in the field when you don't have the option to use better lighting... i.e. good for Afghanistan!

You could use these on low-light standups and live shots and make it look good enough. I wouldn't take these for normal sit-down interviews. They just wouldn't work well compared to my Arri/Kino/Lowel setups. They might work for quick accent lights on backgrounds, though. In no way would they be useful in sunlit conditions, only low light.

When I am done with this shoot, I will use the on-cam light and keep two of the 500's available. They are very portable and make a nice option when you need it.