Socoland LED Panel Lights

supedog

PRO user
Let's get something clear here, I have nothing to do with Coollights whatsoever, I'm a customer just like everybody else. It so happened that when I started testing LED lights they were the only one who had soft boxes available. I've been getting a good service and the reason that I own at least two dozens of their lights is because I want consistency in colors as the output and green spike varies from different manufacturers.

Usually when the item is still listed but not available means that it's backordered, send then an email at Cool Lights <info@coollights.biz> and ask when the items that you are looking for will be available.
Thanks Nino. By the way, I never thought you had anything to do with the company. I just know you are well versed on things, and I thought you might know that information. That's why I asked. Forgive me if you took my question out of context.

Again, thank you for your input.

PEACE!

Nino

Just small observation about LED lights. Keep in mind that I own at least two dozens LEDs and use them whenever I have to.

I'm working for 3 days at the NBA All Stars weekend in Orlando. Every room on the convention wing of the new Hilton across from the convention center is taken by crews with video set-up, some are extensive sets with grip trucks supplying all the lighting and grips. Looks like a working version of NAB. Many national sport show were broadcasted live. Big money being spent in making videos this weekend. I visited just about every room and I know just about everybody there, not a single LED light to be found only Kinos of every type and Arri fresnel everywhere.

Capt. Slo-mo

And, on the other hand, for the NASCAR media day, every set up was rife with 1x1 Litepanels. You may draw your own conclusions from this.

The media company allegedly has something like 200 of these lights.

Run&Gun

And, on the other hand, for the NASCAR media day, every set up was rife with 1x1 Litepanels. You may draw your own conclusions from this.

Well, not really. If you looked at the nets, most of us were using fluorescent, HMI, or tungsten or a mix. Now the break-out spots that were set-up for NASCAR, they were LED, I believe(they usually are, but I didn't have to deal with them that day).

Nino

So was Canon display at NAB and a dozens of other exhibitors. We are talking apples and oranges here. What you’re describing are banks of lights, and quoting one of the best producer that I regularly work with, “this is art not news”.

If you are good you can shoot interviews with any light. I’ve done it by candlelight, with a flashlight and even with the headlights of a car, and I can assure you that they were all acceptable. Where those optimum quality? Not even close and so are LED when it comes to interview lighting. I’ve been testing them for over two years in every possible configuration, they are convenient and easy to use, but as I’ve repeatedly been saying over the years, convenience isn’t my priority, optimum quality is.

This is when I get really pissed when a 30ish Litepanel salesman at NAB, who most likely was selling breakfast cereals six months earlier is telling me what my quality of light should be. I was earning a living and winning awards with my lighting when he was nothing more than a twinkle in his parent’s eyes. Please don’t talk to me about technology, show me how technology can make me improve my work, convenience isn’t an improvement, convenience is laziness.

Let’s get something straight about my position on LED lights. I own over 2 dozens and today I ordered four more. I probably have invested more in LED lights than anyone else on this board. So I don’t need to be convinced on the benefits of LED lights. They are excellent for certain situations and awful for others. When it comes to lighting I’m a control freak, the light has to do what I need it to do, not me adapting myself to what the light can do. I build or modify my own if I have to and done that many times.

I’m very particular about my lighting, and for a very good reason. If I’m doing very well in this business today I own it all to my lighting skills. I did not start getting the good jobs because of my lighting skills, some years back I saw the demand for good lighting and very few people in this business who could deliver. That’s when I decided to dedicate more of my time to improve my lighting skills, and it paid off big time.

Everybody can shoot, the automation in modern cameras made sure that everyone will come up with acceptable images, but there’s no computerized automation in lighting, you really have to know what you’re doing.

In all I have way over 100 lights of every kind they make, I’m not a collector, every light that I have serve a specific purpose or deliver something that other lights can’t. I could very well settle for LED only and use them for everything, but I could also be starving like most photographer are today.

Interviews is a big part of my business, actually the biggest money maker. Most programs hinge around interviews. Interviews is also how good clients measure the skills of a professional because everybody can relate of seeing images of people and have something to compare with. Is the equivalent of comparing a photographic portrait made by true artist and one made by Sears studio.

Having said all this, I’ve been working for the past few weeks on the ESPN Gruden’s QB Camp shows. This year we are doubling the number of shows and planning to build a permanent studio at his place. I’ve been testing a number of lighting options and I used LED for the last two years. Last week I changed all the lights to Kinos. I have two Vistas, four Barfly 200 and one 4x4, plus 6 150 fresnels. Major difference in quality.

LEDs

Kinos

Shootblue

Each light definitely has it's own place, strengths and weaknesses. LED's can be a good tool for sure, you have to do the research and trial and error to find out what those areas are. You wouldn't want to have only phillips screwdrivers and be a maintenance technician.

On a side note...anyone use a Coollights HMI?

Robin

Models number

Dear Nino

I realize this might be crossing the line,but could you please give me the number of your model.. Ive fallen madly in love with her.. or it could just be the lighting ..

OK, let get back to basic. One of the reasons that after 42 years my phone rings more than ever is because I never let convenience or technology effect the quality of my work. Although I’m a certified gadget freak, if it has an on/off switch I probably own it, and I have at least 2 dozens of LEDs lights, my priority has always been and always will be, is what the camera sees and not how easy or fast it is for me to do it. Granted there are times that we have to fight the clock but my theory has always been of why hire and pay the high price of an award winning chef when all you need is somebody to cook scramble eggs.

It really doesn’t matter if the LED light you use cost $300 or $3000, the physic of light doesn’t change, it is still a one foot by one foot light source and for interviews it’s the very last thing I would want to use, unless is for the 6 o’clock local news and I don't do those. Even the sample of interviews shown on the Litepanel web site in my opinion suck, I told this to the Litepanel people at NAB but those guys are salesmen not artists.

We are reversing the principle of quality in favor of technology and convenience, and that's a dangerous process.

One foot by one foot light is the size of the subject head, meaning that you don’t have the wraparound that gives interviews and portraitures the quality they should have. You can take the cheapest Lowel open face, spread the barn door at the widest, attach one or more layer of diffusion and for about $150 the visual result will be almost identical that those obtained with a $3000 Litepanel. Again, the physic of light doesn’t change, you still have a one foot by one foot light source, what you are buying for the additional $2850 is convenience; important I must admit but with either 1'x1' lights hardly and not even close to the quality we are capable to achieve.

The only reason I chosen the Cool Lights over other LED fixtures was because it was, and I believe still is, the only LED light available with a soft box, and that makes a world of difference. Granted, it cut the output way down, but that’s very good too because it forces me to use the largest aperture in my lens and that’s exactly what I want in order to create depth and separation.

The lights that I use the most for interviews are the Kino. A 4ft fixture for key, two 3ft Vistas (one for fill and one for edge) and 200 Barfly for backlights, and as many Arri fresnels that I need for backgrounds.

Yet, with all this technology and this investment in lights my favorite light hasn’t changed in my 42 years in this business. This is actually what we used in art school almost 50 years ago.

A simple open face light shining thru a large diffusion. When you can control the distance of the light to the diffusion and the distance of the diffusion to the subject source, you have total control over the light and there's no technological substitute today that will achieve the same results, no matter how much you spend. And if quality is more important than convenience, all this will cost about $800 or even less.

If the ambient allows it, meaning the room is not the size of a closet with white walls, this is still my favorite light and what many of my clients love.

Douglas

Robin,

Before you go setting up any dates with Nino's model, I think you better see my model.
She love you long time.

Douglas

Best employee I ever had. No 401K. No worker's comp. And she's never called in sick.
She even lets me use her "Employee of the Month" parking space.

Douglas

That is 100% LED lighting. It'd look better with a real person because her plastic skin is always too shiny.

Nino

I'll leave you guys alone to fulfill your sexual fantasies with dummies.

In returning to the main subject of this thread, that's LED lights on humans. As I said there are pros and cons in using LEDs, but sometime are the best and only solutions.

Yesterday we spent the day doing a number of short multi-cameras interviews in a hotel suite. The only area of the room suitable for setting up a large background had a 7 foot ceiling with several sprinkler heads, because the lights had to remain turned-on most of the day I was even afraid to use fluorescent lights as those even thou they generate very little heat I didn't trust them to be so close to the ceiling for a long period of time. I opted to go with the Socoland LED panels even thou I knew that the finals result wouldn't be as good as if I would be using other lights.

Unfortunately because of the nature of this particular show I cannot show any of the interviewees. The result would be more than satisfactory for most people and as I said before, the only way to tell how much better the outcome would be with better lights would be to make a direct comparison. But that's the "good enough" syndrome, not something that will take you to the top.