Which LED on camera light

newsshooter

I've been pricing and researching LED on camera lights most of the night. I want a dual color LED with a dimmer. I've been looking at the Ikan and Lite Panel. The lite panel croma is a nice looking light but it's 500 bucks and takes 6 AA batteries. I'm also a little worried using AA batteries, but not thrilled to use the DV batteries and battery charger that comes with Ikan lights. I'm shooting on an EX-1 with BP-60 batteries. What LED on camera light do you have? How long do the batteries last? Ready go!!

svp

I personally love and use the HDV-Z96. Runs on 5 AA's or a Sony L series.

Douglas

I don't need an on-camera light very often, but I've been using a Litepanels Croma since the beginning of the year on my F800. I love it. It's very light weight and runs about 2 hours on 6 regular Energizer rechargeable AA batteries at full power. Usually I don't need to run it at full power, and I have it dimmed down, so one set of batteries has always lasted me a full day.

The throw of the beam is very nice and soft with no extra diffusion needed. And being able to adjust the color temp to anything between 3200 and 5600 at the turn of a knob has really come in handy.

It also works great on a light stand. And, since it is totally self-contained and not connected to AC or D-TAP, sometimes I have put it on a boompole and had a PA fly it in from the side on run & gun instead of being mounted on the camera. A very versatile light.

Flaca Productions

i'm a big fan of the Zylight Z90.
not cheap, but built like a tank and you can dial in color temp by number.
i get an ambient white balance in the room i'll be working, then dial in the same number on the zylight. if you're gentle with the dimmer, it'll just do enough to fill in.

i also fly them for backlights or use them as eye lights or greaser back lights during sit down interviews.

Douglas

Any green spike on these?
I have not noticed any green spikes or other abnormalities from any of the Litepanels lights that I own. I've actually put them on my DSC charts and gray cards and looked at the output very carefully with my vectorscope -- and everything looks good to me. I'm 99.9% LED now. In fact, I have not used any lighting outside my studio that wasn't LED since last November.

Necktie Boy

All LED's have some green spike. Some more that others. That is why you should use same lights from the same company.

Run&Gun

I've been using the LitePanels Sola ENG since last spring. I liked it so much I bought two, one for my road gear that travels and one for my gear at home. They've been wonderful until recently. My original light that travels has shifted purple. Not a purple hint, but PURPLE. I've pulled it out of service and replaced it with the "home" light and am planing on sending the "purple" unit back to LP to find out what the heck is going on(anomaly, damaged, manufacturer defect, etc.).

Garycook

I've been pricing and researching LED on camera lights most of the night. I want a dual color peimar led lights with a dimmer. I've been looking at the Ikan and Lite Panel. The lite panel croma is a nice looking light but it's 500 bucks and takes 6 AA batteries. I'm also a little worried using AA batteries, but not thrilled to use the DV batteries and battery charger that comes with Ikan lights. I'm shooting on an EX-1 with BP-60 batteries. What LED on camera light do you have? How long do the batteries last? Ready go!!
I have recently purchase led camera light from ebay. They do not consume much power so batteries will last long

Last edited: