Which college thinks they are gods gift to TV and where did YOU go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Photog Cowboi

PRO user
Ok...I will start this one.

I went to Eastern New Mexico University and I have heard the Mizzou and Columbia College (Chicago) both think they are Gods gift to TV.

Icarus112277

Emerson has one of the best schools in the country

I went to Hofstra which has an excellent program as well- the Bill Parcells pregame show was shot in the same studio that the students used, and our B studio was used by Lifetime for various shows.

David R. Busse

I went to Mizzou many years ago. Missouri has always had the advantage of owning KOMU-TV, allowing students to have a "real" commercial TV audition tape when they leave for the "real world."

That advantage often jump starts MU folks in the early stages of their careers. In my case, I started in market 43 and was a network staffer in market 2 before I was 24. That kind of advancement was not unusual in my day, and some of my classmates who were not mentally prepared for the rigors of the news life were said to be "arrogant" and "know-it-alls" in ther newsrooms.

There are many fine schools out there today; wasn't always so. And there are many more jobs available when I was first looking...that was before CNN, MSNBC and Fox.

My advice is to look around at the very best people in the profession right now and check on their education. If you have a list of 100 or so, I'll bet there's not one clear school that stands out and says "go to this school and you'll be in the top of your field."

If this discussion is (worthlessly, I might add) aimed at trying to say which school produces the biggest jerks and newsroom buffoons, refer to my last paragraph.

They come from everywhere.

AKinDC

I think there's a lot of ego (and talent) coming out of the big 3: Missouri, Northwestern, and Syracuse, where I went to grad school. To me, the best thing about going to the big name schools is the faculty...all of teacher I had were experenced pros, from news directors to network anchors and producers. It's great to learn from folks that have done it all in the business.

C

<Carl Hungus>

I went to Humboldt State University in beautiful Northern Cali. Gods of the dank smoke.

Tippster

The Fly on the Wall
Remember: God is a black homosexual Buddhist, but She loves you anyway. ;)

I went to Maryland, but the program got axed in '91. Good thing, too. It sucked - the local Community College (MC Rockville) had a MUCH better program and facilities.

I heard Ohio University (NOT OSU) is a good school for TV production. J-School? Mizzou, Columbia (NY), amd UNC are the B.O.M.B.

AKinDC

Originally posted by KahunaPhotog:
THINK THEY ARE GOD'S GIFT TO TV: VA.TECH

I WENT TO: RADFORD - We were better.
Wow...I think that's the first time anyone's ever admitted in public that they went to Radford... :)

JMU '95

Shaky & Blue

Of all the schools I know about, the grads with whom I've worked from Syracuse, Northwestern and Missouri stick out in my mind. All three schools seem to prepare their grads pretty well. One of my favorite reporters was a very recent Northwestern grad, and I haven't observed any serious attitude problems from either Northwestern or Syracuse.

However, there IS a Missouri attitude that some grads adopt that doesn't seem to be common to the other schools. It's the only school I've heard people actually brag about attending. I've heard them brag about it to people out in the field who have little knowledge of television journalism, as if knowing they went to Mizzou should instantly command respect.

From my conversations with a particularly obnoxious Mizzou reporter, I gather that the attitude originates with the instructors, who in some respects inflate the students' egos while in other respects filling them with tremendous anxiety over living up to the school's expectations for its graduates. I think a lot of the kids coming from there are afraid that they don't really measure up, so they tell everyone they meet about the Mizzou experience in order to bolster their failing self-confidence. Perhaps when they realize they're working as equals with other people from colleges without the same reputation, for the same low salary and long hours, it helps to convince themselves they are somehow "better than all this" because they went to Missouri.

Don't get me wrong. Not every Missouri grad I encountered had that attitude, and probably not even the majority. However, the ones who do have the attitude are obnoxious enough to blacken the image of the school despite the skill or demeanor of the rest of them. And let me tell you this, too: One of the WORST producers and one of the WORST reporters with whom I ever worked came from Mizzou, and they were probably the loudest about their royal Missouri lineage.

KahunaPhotog

Originally posted by AKinDC:
quote: Originally posted by KahunaPhotog:
THINK THEY ARE GOD'S GIFT TO TV: VA.TECH

I WENT TO: RADFORD - We were better.
Wow...I think that's the first time anyone's ever admitted in public that they went to Radford... :)

JMU '95
You're saying that, and went to JMU? Wow!

Kat,

I taught at Columbia College for several years. I am really proud of several students who have gone on to promising careers. In that time I never experienced students who came across as arrogant. If anything, I tryed to instill in them to be aggressive while maintaining a level of respect. The mistake that is sometimes made is that arrogance that stays in your head becomes confidence while arrogance that finds its way to your tongue remains arrogance. It's a mistake that we all make at times but I never found Columbia College students to be out of the ordinary in that regard.

I was wondering if you could be more specific about your observation?

Vince

T

<Ted Bell>

Originally posted by Shaky & Blue:
And let me tell you this, too: One of the WORST producers and one of the WORST reporters with whom I ever worked came from Mizzou, and they were probably the loudest about their royal Missouri lineage.
You have obviously never worked with anyone from Northwestern, Harvard or USC. Harvard's arrogance is both well-documented and infamous and the worst producer I ever encountered trumpeted her Harvard credentials on a weekly basis.

Northwestern people are also theorists who are pretty clueless when the rubber hits the road, but USC may be among the very worst in terms of actual career education, or lack thereof. But plenty of professional hubris, advertised hourly.

SandRat

In my nine years in the biz, I've never heard of anyone bragging about how great their school is, especially phojos. But many reporters know they are God's gift to all of us.

Where's the Audio?

I'm a ****. University of South Carolina. I've heard a lot of crap from Mizzou grads, and met some egotistical UNC grads. But seriously, don't they come from everywhere. One of the best reporters I've met went to 'Cuse. It's a toss up.

Photog Cowboi

PRO user
Originally posted by VideoVince:
Kat,

I taught at Columbia College for several years. I am really proud of several students who have gone on to promising careers. In that time I never experienced students who came across as arrogant. If anything, I tryed to instill in them to be aggressive while maintaining a level of respect. The mistake that is sometimes made is that arrogance that stays in your head becomes confidence while arrogance that finds its way to your tongue remains arrogance. It's a mistake that we all make at times but I never found Columbia College students to be out of the ordinary in that regard.

I was wondering if you could be more specific about your observation?

Vince
Vince,

I have known some who went to Columbia and been cool. They were themselves and have worked in the industry and gone on. Then I have met some who came to my career day in High School and well....
made me think about changing careers. I remember one lady my senior year...her ego was bigger than Dolly's hair and boobs! I'm not knocking the school as a whole...just those who well...made it seem like it was God's gift. I apologize if what I said came across differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.