What makes a great edit suite?

Chugach3DGuy

Do you have a formal edit suite that you bring clients to for showing previews or demos? I'm looking for suggestions and ideas on how to transform a 20'X10.75' room into a an edit suite that's functional, comfortable, and impressive to clients and potential clients. I've been so used to working in any available space with a laptop that I've never really given much thought on what makes a cool editing suite.

Looking around online has shown me that anyone with hundreds of thousands of dollars can do amazing things. Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of cash to work with. But, things like desks, chairs, consoles, audio monitors, and other utilitarian kinds of things will be considered.

So, for all of you editors lurking out there, how is your suite laid out? What important things should I consider for the clients' perspective? If you could do something different or change your setup, what would you do and why?

canuckcam

Clients want a big screen. Don't care what color gamut it can display or whether it's accurate. They want a big screen so they can see the pretty pictures they paid for.

seriously.

... can you preview on HDSDI yet on FCPX? Hey FCS is back out at $999 as Apple clears out "overstock." So here's your chance to grab obsolete software at retail prices!

Necktie Boy

The big screen for client. A nice couch. A small work area for the client. Low lighting.
Maybe a small HDTV to watch local programing. Just make it inviting.

Chugach3DGuy

There will definitely be a large HDTV mounted to the wall. I'll be inheriting a shiny 56" Mitsubishi plasma screen from the large conference room.

I'm currently looking at some I/O boxes so I can route video from either my laptop or desktop workstation to the HDTV. The MOTU HD Express or the Matrox Mini MX02 are catching my eye. I do everything in Adobe CS5.5, so Final Cut won't be on the wish list.

I'll see if we can get a small desk or something to put in a corner as a client work area. That sounds like a good idea.

Lensmith

Low lighting.
I think this is what many overlook...and it's a less expensive way to make the viewing area for clients more impressive. No overhead lights at all. A trip to Walmart for some small lights that create just enough light along the walls, even floor mounted style, can help clients focus on what's important. The screen!

It also makes whatever equipment you do or don't have less important/noticable. What counts is they watch what you've created! Not a tour of your workspace.

For a hundred bucks you can pick up four or five lights that splash light on the walls and make the area look "creative" and help sell your product. Both the product on the screen...and the "product" in your head! ;)

SeattleShooter

I saw once in an edit suite a HDTV that was framed like a nice painting. I got a chuckle seeing that. But then I felt that our work is art so why not!

couryhouse

A pair of 40 inch or larger monitors....

It is mzing to see a timeline streached across that much real estate...

BluesCam

You know, nobody ever comes to my edit suite anymore. They just want me to put the edit online for them to see and we go from there. I haven't done a supervised edit in probably 8 yr.

Chugach3DGuy

...They just want me to put the edit online for them to see and we go from there...
This is the way I've been doing things for a long time. My boss appreciates my tight-wadded and straightforward approach to things like equipment and getting the job done right, but his big picture idea is to have a classy and comfy space that allows for the perception that we're a hip, talented, and professional agency. I personally like uploading things to Youtube or Vimeo for client viewing, but there are always quality issues that arise when the client looks at a fullscreen proof at 360p on their large monitor. For example, we displayed a recently completed project that was uploaded to Youtube for some visitors in our main conference room. Having clients drop by the office to look at a high quality proof on a big screen while in a comfortable chair seems like a good way to fix that problem.

There is a small fridge in the adjoining room, and yes, we have all kinds of beer , coffee, and soft drinks available for clients.

I like the low lighting idea, and I'll bring up the idea of getting some of those modern-looking halogen track lighting kits from Wal-Mart or Target. There are 2 large windows in the room too, so I suppose some blackout material is in order.

What about studio foam or hanging artwork? 3 of the 4 walls of this office butt up against other offices, and I don't want to disturb other tenants in the building. I figured some of those sound damping foam panels would help a little bit with that.