Raleigh-Durham Market

Thinking of moving out to Raleigh!!! Does anyone have the lowdown on the city. Stations...Chief Photogs...pay...gear...that kind of thing. I would really appreciate any information you guys have. Thanks!!!

cameradog

Why the hell do you want to move to a horrible place like Raleigh if you don't know anything about it?

cameradog

Don't let Cameradog's bitterness disuade you just because he coudn't cut the mustard here.
Yes, I couldn't handle local news and had to go work at the international level making more money. I haven't gotten to shoot a meaningless car wreck in five years. Instead, I was stuck shooting national and world leaders for networks around the world. How can I ever cope with my failure?

newz2me

A buddy of mine who lives around the area always referred to Durham as the "armpit of North Carolina". I kinda liked Raleigh, but way too much growth for a small area. The highway infastructure isn't designed for all the traffic they get.

Thanks for the help!!

I'm just keeping this post alive. Hoping anyone has anymore info. I have received some great insight...but could always use more. :)

newz2me

Wncn

That place was a mess when it was WYED in the mid 90's and not much better when NBC bought them and changed it to WNCN around 1995. I had an interview with them in 2003 and had major red flags with the place. Maybe things have changed in the past several years, but I would use cautiion.

thanks

I will keep that in mind. but just curious on how accurate the website is with the job opening and if the job is still available.

soonershooter

I will keep that in mind. but just curious on how accurate the website is with the job opening and if the job is still available.
I wouldn't bet on the website being accurate. In 2001 I was "excused" from my job across town. They were listing 2 full-time photog openings on their website. I got called in for an interview, and talked to about 6 people for 3 hours. Some of these folks had been there for over 2 years and were still considered "daily hires" (in RALEIGH?). After a bit, they made their offer: 2 shifts per week, weekend morning show: 2AM-9AM. (At this time in my life I had been shooting and editing full time for 16 years). I politely declined and walked VERY quickly to the exit. Before I got out of the building my cell phone rang: it was a chief photog at another station (adjacent market). We talked on the phone for 40 minutes. I spent most of the call pacing back and forth on WNCN's sidewalk. That chief became my boss, and is still my boss.
I don't normally believe in omens, but this one was hard to ignore. I'm VERY happy that I didn't a REAL offer from WNCN.

Be VERY cautious when dealing with WNCN.

lost focus

WNCN was a NBC o&o up untill about a year ago now its media general. those hiring practices may have changed as well as management (several times) by now.

WRAL was short several (4-6 depending on who you ask) photogs. but Rad likely gave you those details.

Freddie Mercury

CameraDog: I generally respect what you write. I find your lack of respect for other people in this thread surprising. You're talking about home for a lot of people.