P2 vs. SxS

The Daywood

[...]You don't need to "shell out" for XDCam drives.[...]
Single users no, but since we are going with multiple users, it is impractical to use the cameras as decks...The cheapest option would have been the XDCam Drive which costs $2500/unit...After that, you are on to decks which would have been $4K+...
This is the reason I chose to go with the P2...They have multi-platform capability all from the same media...

cameragod

They are talking SxS so no XDcam Drive required... and there is an XDcam Drive for $2500 so what was your point?

Douglas

I repeat. If you need and XDCAM EX SxS drive, they are under $250
http://www.abelcine.com/store/product.php?productid=1000416

I don't mind that there are two XDCAM recording media. XDCAM optical is superior in many ways to SxS cards, and superior in every way to P2. But there is no physical way to cram the drive into a small handycam. Therefore, SxS cards were invented for the smaller cameras. It makes complete sense to me.

Even if there was an option to get an F355 with SxS slots instead of optical, you'd be a fool to buy it. Optical is the better, cheaper, and makes a ready archive.

Doug
www.VortexMedia.com

Canonman

I echo Doug's sentiments. Much prefer the optical media because it has all the benefits of tapeless without the high cost of solid state. Plus, it's a lot harder and less expensive to 'lose' a disc than it is an SxS card.

cm