Intverview critque please

Latin Lens

Still working on my lighting...but I am looking for feedback on this interview....thanks guys.

Shot with 2 ARRI 300s....had two dimmer switches....mainly concerned about throat shadow and choice of background...and anything else you might see or notice.

Last edited:

redcoat

I would prefer to see less of a side view of the subjects face. Having the reporter closer to the camera usually helps to solve this problem and prevents the subject from appearing to look so far off screen. I think a more direct line of sight between the subject and camera can increase the impact of a subject's words.

You say you used 2 lights, I'm assuming you used one as a key and the other as a fill? Did you diffuse either of the lights? Judging by the somewhat harsh light I'm assuming you did not use diffusion. Doing so should have cut down on the harsh neck shadow and the large contrast difference between the right and left side of the face. But overall it seems like the light placement is correct.

The background choice is pretty good, but it would have looked better if the subject and background were further apart. That way you can light each one independently and make the subject stand out more from the background. Also, a greater distance between the subject and background would have enhanced the separation between them because of the difference in focus.

Opening up your iris all the way and decreasing your depth of field would have further enhanced the visual separation. I always try to create a good distance between the background and subject and a good distance between the subject and camera so that I have to zoom in (which magnifies the difference in focus between objects). This ensures that the subject is crisp and stands out, while the background is soft and slinks back.

I know that the room size/setup and time constraints may make some of these suggestions impossible, but they're at least some ideas to keep in mind. Keep up the good work! At least you're busting the lights out in the first place!

NEWSSHOOTER3

Clockwise

Yeah... a little harsh. I guess, if I had a two-light setup, I'd put them at 11ish and 5ish, clockwise, diffused...

Dan R.

Is it better to diffuse a fresnel for an interview? I assumed if you put diffusion in front that you'd lose the benefits/controls of a fresnel fixture.

Latin Lens

Redcoat/ Newshooter3....I used no diffusion which I agree leads to the harshness. But there is a huge window to the right of her that was letting in sunlight thru the blinds. I sacrificed a little overexposure because on a wide shot there was a cool shadow effect on the walls and I really really liked it....noticed it too late so I should have put diffusion on. Someone in my shop suggested I shoot the other way with the interview...i.e. she's looking the wrong way for this particular setup..any thoughts on this? My shutter was at 250 which I was hoping to get a little more blur (on the background)than I did. She had a great house and several places were just as good for an interview as this one....I liked the vase and the double mirrors (which you could see on the wide)....so I choose this location. Thanks.

Baltimore's Finest Fotog

At first glance, that background is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too busy. I am shocked that you are at 1/250. There appears to be little to no separation between her and that vase. But that could also be because she may be sitting right next to it and the shot isn't all that tight. If nothing else, back up your camera as far as you can possibly go. Of course I am assuming you didn't already, but if you didn't, that would really add some separation.

I agree with redcoat. She is looking to far off-screen also. I don't necessarily think she needs to be facing the other direction. I'm not sure what that would accomplish. Why did your colleague suggest that?

It definitely needed some diffusion. Either that or move your light source farther away from your subject.

As for that second light, I'm going to say you used it for a backlight. If so, it looks just right - not too intense at all. Just a nice touch of light on the back of her hair. If anything, it might need to be pointed down just a bit more so it catches her shoulders. Then again, as I say that, I notice what kind of chair/couch she is sitting in. That could be your problem. I was taught to always try and find a chair that doesn't go above the subject's shoulders and sit them in it. Even if it means pulling some chairs out of the kitchen/dining or any other room in the house and set it somewhere, this will not only help give you more background to work with for depth of field, but it will allow you to get that nice rim effect on their shoulders with your backlight.

cameragod

Ok ‘A’ reason to have her on the other screen direction is so the receding parallel lines of the wall draw your eyes toward the vanishing point, toward her face.
Also the background will be further behind her… better DOF.
Moving her chair to face the other way would instantly give you more separation. Also the sunlight would give you a natural back light making your two light set up a three light set up.

NEWSSHOOTER3

Indeed

Ok ‘A’ reason to have her on the other screen direction is so the receding parallel lines of the wall draw your eyes toward the vanishing point, toward her face.
Also the background will be further behind her… better DOF.
Moving her chair to face the other way would instantly give you more separation. Also the sunlight would give you a natural back light making your two light set up a three light set up.
Spot on. Spot on.

redcoat

Latin, in future posts, if the wide version of the shot plays into how you chose to frame or light the tighter shot, go ahead and include the wide shot as well. It might put your main shot in a wider and more complete context. In fact, after hearing you talk about the variations of this shot I'd like to see the wide version of it anyhow. Cause I bet it looks nice :)

This question might make more sense after seeing the wide shot, but did you allow your key light to remain bright and undiffused in order to keep the window from being overexposed?