I'm the VJ from the NPPA mag. Any questions?

Chicago Dog

It's all jus' a little bit of history repeatin'...

Dink said:
No, I'm afraid you're the one missing the point. I never said anything about the failure having anything to do with inept employees.
Better go back and read what you responded with, then, because that's pretty much what you said.

Dink said:
What I said was that the system failed at these two stations because it will not work as a comprehensive replacement for the current system.
Um, KRON and WKRN didn't use it as a comprehensive replacement for the current system -- and it still failed.

Dink said:
It's easy to see that an "all live" system would fail. It's easy to see that an "all VJ" system will fail. But if you open your eyes, it's also easy to see that in both cases a limited restructuring of the system WILL work, or at least won't fail in a sufficiently spectacular manner as to make the managers realize it has eroded their quality and viewership.
Again, see my response above.

Dink said:
The numbers might tank if you tried to replace your entire system with VJs. If it's done gradually, the way it is already happening, the ratings numbers won't be eroded as quickly as salary expenses.
The way it's already happening? Uh -- where, exactly? These two stations are failures.

The thing you don't seem to understand is that introducing the system gradually or not -- the employees always lose. Here, you have Alex Lucas, who gave the system a bona-fide shot. He's just one guy. From his forum posts alone, I can tell he's an excellent writer and has a good head on his shoulders. Therefore, my B.S. detector isn't going off.

The system wore on him. That's why the system fails. It simply asks too much of too few people donning too many hats.

Dink said:
In both cases above, you're actually agreeing with me and don't realize it.
No, I'm really not -- and that's why you're missing the point.

Dink said:
In regard to #1, you're right, stations do use VJs sparingly, for now. But the point is that they're actually using them. As they learn how to use them, they'll use them more often. As they use them more often, they'll learn new ways to use them, and the news model we know now will change to make use of the cheaper system.
I'm wondering -- how long do you think OMB/VJs have been around? This idea is nothing new. Simply because some overpaid messiah consultant comes along and tosses around a few expensive-sounding buzzwords doesn't mean it's an epiphany for newsrooms to behold in golden light.

Do I once again have to refer to New York 1? You know -- it's the station that was supposed to be the "flagship" of the OMB/VJ model? They've since switched back to two-person crews -- twelve years later.

The system was a failure then, and it's a failure now.

Dink said:
As for #2, that's exactly why it works at those stations. They DON'T try to make the entire station VJs. That's why WKRN failed.
Once again, please refer to my comment at the beginning. Neither WKRN nor KRON went entirely OMB/VJ. They kept a few two-person crews around.

So, no. I'm definitely not agreeing with you.

Dink said:
Stations have been using OMB for ages.
... And that's when I started beating my head against the wall.

Dink said:
What makes this different is that there's a perception that the new cameras make the OMB model cheaper and easier. You will not be able to dispel that perception. From a corporate manager's point of view, if a cheaper model is available that will (in their eyes) achieve similar results, why not adopt it, especially when other stations with the reputation of KUSA are doing it on a limited scale?
This almost made me shoot cottage cheese out of my nose -- and I'm not even eating cottage cheese.

At what point do you think anything you just said is any different than what just happened at WKRN and KRON? You're describing the entire situation just as it happened. The only difference here, though, is you're claiming it can be a success when it's already a proven failure.

And I'm the one whose confused? That's a laugh.

Dink

Chicago Dog said:
Better go back and read what you responded with, then, because that's pretty much what you said.
Where? Quote me. You can't, because I said no such thing.

Chicago Dog said:
Um, KRON and WKRN didn't use it as a comprehensive replacement for the current system -- and it still failed.
They tried to use it as a comprehensive system. They tried to replace as many two man crews with one man crews as possible. I have no doubt the goal was to replace even their last few two man crews with one man crews if they could find a way. They only kept those last few two man crews on to get the product on the air during the transition, then discovered that they couldn't get rid of them altogether. In other words, they discovered that it doesn't work if you try to use it as a comprehensive replacement for the current system.

I'll say it again. The way this will come to happen is from the other end: a few at a time. That's NOT what happened at either of these stations. That IS what's happening at KUSA, WFMY and some others.

Chicago Dog said:
The way it's already happening? Uh -- where, exactly? These two stations are failures.
I already mentioned KUSA. WFMY in Greensboro was advertising for it a while back. I think Lenslinger was doing it for his station as well.

I'll keep my eyes open for more listings like that on TVJobs, because I've seen them elsewhere. It IS happening NOW.

Chicago Dog said:
The thing you don't seem to understand is that introducing the system gradually or not -- the employees always lose.
I absolutely do understand that. Not only do the employees lose, but the industry and craft lose in the long run as well. This is NOT a good thing for any of us. You seem to be incapable of understanding that just because I see what's coming doesn't mean I support it.

That's why I was suggesting that people who value quality in their work start working toward getting out. Eventually it will catch up with us all. I don't intend to be around when the VJ revolution finally turns the corner and stations finally give up on producing a decent product.

Chicago Dog said:
I'm wondering -- how long do you think OMB/VJs have been around? This idea is nothing new.
I don't think you read what I wrote very closely, because I said the exact same thing. But I'll also repeat what I said before: the DIFFERENCE is that the cameras are smaller, and to someone like an MBA who has no idea what makes good video, anybody can use them. As time goes on, even the ones who can tell the difference will be unable to justify spending money on better gear and two man crews when their competition is beating them at the money game.

As Alex said, it's all about the money.

Chicago Dog said:
Do I once again have to refer to New York 1? You know -- it's the station that was supposed to be the "flagship" of the OMB/VJ model? They've since switched back to two-person crews -- twelve years later.
I know something about NY1, because I used to work there. Here again, the problem with NY1 was that it tried to force the model on the entire operation rather than retaining two man crews where they were needed. That was NOT a gradual phasing in of the system, like these other stations are now doing.

Sorry, I'll have to leave the rest of my response for later. I have class now, working toward another degree for my next career for when this one finally becomes intolerable.

Natural Born Stringer

Damn, the more things change around here, the more they stay the same.

I see Chicago Dog is still happily arguing away with even the people that AGREE with him!

Rosenblum seems to still be MIA. I suppose he logs in now and then for a chuckle.... I know I do.

WKRN and KRON are still doing the news each night in spite of themselves.

And once again, people take the words of one poster at face value while disputing the words of another - the key difference between the two is that one of them is saying what the crowd wants and is expecting to hear, and the other is not.

Todd Dunn is still quite happy as a VJ, but that's just because he's "Singing the company tune" or some such... deep down I'm sure he's miserable.

And we lowly stringers are still quite successfully chasing the car crashes and fires that VJ was supposed to eliminate from the news lineup, according to our pal Chicago Dog.

ND's and GM's still know enough to be dangerous, producers and reporters still know less than that...

And, from up in Heaven, seated on a couch in the big Station Break Room in the sky, Bill Conduit still give parking lot seminars to the photographically challenged. (Bill would find that especially funny - he was an atheist.)

All's well that ends well, and other meaningless cliche's.

See you on the flipside, b-roll!

Dirge

<rubs eyes> Stringer? Is that you?

Actually, the VJ thing died down and we got back to “you know you’re a photog when” posts, most embarrassing moments posts, then people started using the “ignore” feature to ignore Dyckerson, and things pretty much returned to normal around here.

Then the VJ thing reared its ugly head again when talk of the model dieing off in magazine articles appeared.

So what have you been up to?

Dirge

Dirge said:
...talk of the model dieing off in magazine articles appeared.
Wow! That made no sense. It should read, "talk of the model dieing off appeared in magazine articles." I'll be speaking in spoonerisms next. Guess I was too in awe of Stringer's reappearance.

Chicago Dog

Sorry, Dink. I can't respond. Natural Born Stringer's popped in, which makes anything else in the thread completely useless.

He says he logs in for a chuckle. What he really means is that he's had his ass handed to him on a number of occasions, and doesn't like to be proven wrong. So, he decided to take his "experiences" elsewhere. Where that is, I don't know -- nor do I care. But, you gotta admit -- it was fun watching him try. It was even more fun watching him flounder!

So! What's up, NBS? Still hold the belief that the switch to OMB/VJs has nothing to do with cost-cutting, even though that's what it eventually turned out to be?

"You were right, Chicago Dog." Go on. Type it. You know you can!

(That's bait, and I know you won't resist.)

Last edited:
from the horse's mouth:

http://www.wkrngm.com/

from the comments section:

kerry says "...At what point, if any, do you abandon the VJ concept if the ratings don't pull up because viewers don't care or know what is relevant with content?..."

secrist replies "...I can't imagine why we would abandon it. Let's say nothing changes and the ratings stay as is. We haven't lost anything and we're still getting lots of stories that we would not have before. We're not perfect..."

yikers

Dirge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirge
Wow! That made no sense. It should read, "talk of the model dieing off appeared in magazine articles."

Buck said:
You're right...it's "dying". :p
Maybe that’s why I was fired from my translating job.

verdantFOX

Update for on the VJ failure @ KRON for Chicago Dog

Just for fun, and since I was under the weather, I decided to put Dog's "VJs have already failed at KRON" theory to the test. I watched their 4,5,6, 9, and 11.

The total was 8 unrepeated VJ stories from eight different VJs. They also had five live shots from different locations and at least three packages that appeared to be done by a reporter and a photographer.

So it looks like KRON is still using a few traditional teams, but VJs made up the bulk of their stories. None of the stories done by anyone were, IMHO, exceptional in any way. Standard fare for this market. Two of the VJ packages, IMO, were well done, three were acceptable, and three sucked.

My point is, however, I don't know how everyone has come to the conclusion that VJs are dead. If so they have eight dead people at KRON turning packages.

Let the onslaught of denial, vitriol, and anger begin.

FOX