Ice Rink Nat Package

csabo

Hi everybody,
I've been kinda lurking for the past few months and I figured it was about time to post some of my work.

[b-rollTV]1187[/b-rollTV]

Go Daddy

Very nice. Beyond what has become known as local TV standards. Might have taken a plastic table top and flipped it over & put the camera on it and guided it with a broom or mop and slid it around in between skaters feet and all around to get that ice level angle. But it's a nice piece, wasn't lazy, and was interesting to watch.

Deft Depth

Wow, loved it! I'll just list what I liked:

Not too long, didn't drag at all.
Loved the pacing and the chronological way in which it was told. Effective, quick nats sprinkled in place they needed to be.
Great time-lapse idea!
Great sequencing.

The best nat pkg I've seen yet. Well done. You should post more of your work for sure!

NEWSSHOOTER3

Well Done!

I really enjoyed this piece-

Your shot variety was outstanding, the pacing was phenomenal, your creativity excelled, and it told a great story in a "snack-like" form. No complaints here and I think I speak for everyone here when I say, don't just lurk, keep sharing your creativity! :D

If you care to share, how did you get such a crisp transition on the last shot? Was it just two pans, done in the exact same spot, before and after?

Also, the time-lapse really worked well! Are you using P2 time-lapse for that?

csabo

Thanks the nice words everybody. I've only been a photog for about 7 months, so hopefully I'll have more to add in the near future.

Yeah, the last shot was just done in the same spot. I had the luxury of having the red line to keep it centered. The height and angle were a little trickier. I tried to use the windows as my guide on that. It's not a PERFECT match, but it's close.

I did the time lapse in Avid.

redcoat

Well, now that I can only critique your work here... :)

First of all, having known what went into this piece...you did a simply incredible job...as other people have clearly noted. What they didn't know is that this was only your 2nd nat piece ever and that you shot it over more than a week during time you devoted between your regular work shift. Your interest and concern are totally evident.

Now for a few suggestions.
-I would have preferred a slow dissolve in the beginning rather than the quick dip to black transition that you used. I think the slow pan in the refrigeration room would have matched very well with a slow dissolve into the next shot. (speaking of the next shot, I think it's beautiful. I would have loved to see it longer, but overall I think you cut to a new shot at a good time).

-If I'm gonna get picky. When the guy was saying "laying a fine mist water" two shots violate the 180 rule. In the wide shot, the water machine is moving from the left to right portion of the screen, then in the closer shot it's moving in the opposite direction, from the right to the left side. The second shot I'm referring to does however cut perfectly with the shot that follows it, so maybe that's what you intended. Not a big deal, just something to think about. I only noticed this after watching the piece scrutinizingly 5 times.

-For the SOT "as late as midnight and in 4 hour shifts" it would have been fantastic to see something that represented time. A clock within the arena? Or even better, the moon in the sky above the arena, or a shot of the arena at night and some of the students leaving to go home after an exhausting day?

-As I think I told you, I would have loved to have seen the package end with a major punch (a proverbial hockey check!) Following that incredible time lapse pan with a quick closeup nat sequence of *pass* *pass* *hit* *GOAL* *Siren* or something like that would have really brought the story home for me.

As I told our NDs today, you did a better job than I could have done. Major congratulations and keep it up!

newsshooter

Great piece. Well paced and solid shots. I would have liked to hear some of the people working. If you have a wireless mic put it on a few of them while they work. They will forget they have it on and will start acting natural. NAT sound pops are great in between sound bytes. Sound of what they are doing and what they are saying. You can get some cool angles of people talking to each other about what they are doing as they are doing it. Then when you have a cool angle ask a question to one of them. Your story was great don't get me wrong...but it was a string of SOTS covered by video. Not much NAT sound breaks and montages to make the story sing. It was truly great for it only being your second package. I get a lot of ideas from KUSA's storytellers. They have a ton of beautiful pieces on their site. The segment is called storytellers and it's in the link of AS SEEN on KUSA or something like that. Keep watching other stories and getting critiques.

csabo

If you have a wireless mic put it on a few of them while they work.
I had one kid miced up, but it was really just expletives and nonsense. I think I learned that the person that is most eager to be miced up is probably not the guy that should have the mic.

but it was a string of SOTS covered by video.
I disagree with this. The nats are quick but they're there between sots. The only place where nats aren't is really the time lapse.

Last edited:

svp

First, great job with the shooting, editing, structure, etc. More than that, what makes this such a great story is it explains how something is done that alot of people have probably wondered about. I know when I've went to hockey games or watched them on TV I always wondered how they build those rinks and get those ads in the ice? It was interesting and taught me something I've always wondered about. Those are the kind of stories we should look for when doing a nat pkg. Great job.