Faces of Forclosure

NEWSSHOOTER3

Props

I expected a little more. A story about faces, I'd like to see faces, tight faces. I hated seeing the mic flags. And, that gavel was... a prop? Not sure about that?

Always improving.

Latin Lens

Really weak piece...concept was a good idea though. If the title of your piece is "Faces of Foreclosure" then I wanna see faces....wide, medium, AND tight....let me see the pain in their face of losing their home thats what a tight shot does for you.

The gavel got old....it was cool in the begining but got overused by the end. Why no shots of homes with foreclosure sign...even if it was file video it would have added alot. No nats of courtroom judgements? Why? I am sure the judge was saying something to these people...get the goods and your pieces will improve. Don't shoot scared.....shoot with confidence. Put your camera and mic in a place to gather the best video and sound....if you need to move around and reshoot then do it....but keep looking around find your next shot move camera around to find new and different shots.

Deft Depth

If the title of your piece is "Faces of Foreclosure" then I wanna see faces....wide, medium, AND tight....let me see the pain in their face of losing their home thats what a tight shot does for you.
I agree...it's a very valid point. "Faces of Forclosure" was a self-applied title that I gave to this post. Perhaps it became immediately misleading. The story in the rundown that day was called "Rocket Docket".

No nats of courtroom judgements? Why? I am sure the judge was saying something to these people...get the goods and your pieces will improve. Don't shoot scared.....shoot with confidence. Put your camera and mic in a place to gather the best video and sound....if you need to move around and reshoot then do it....but keep looking around find your next shot move camera around to find new and different shots.
A couple of things I'd like to clarify: There were no nats of the courtroom because the judge refused to turn up the house sound in the press room--typically you can plug an XLR cable into the wall and it works fine, but for whatever reason he refused to turn me up, even when I complained (also this is why I turned to the gavel prop more than I probably should have because it was the only bit of nat sound I had).

I think it's unfair to say that I was "shooting scared". I wasn't allowed inside the courtroom, no photographers are. In court, your only vantage point is in a tiny room with a glass 2-sided window two inches from your lens. Moving around was not an option for this story unfortunately.

I think we're going to do this story again for the book, with a lot more time and effort put into it, ie, following people back to their homes, getting with the judge beforehand to assure we'll have courtroom sound, etc.

I'll be sure to post it up if and when we do it. It deserves a better effort.

Latin Lens

Hey Deft...didn't mean to imply that you were actually shooting scared.

What I meant by that was if you see something cool or can even THINK of something cool to shoot then don't be afraid to try and get it....do whats in your ability to do to get the shot you want.

Too many fotogs are afraid to get close...to mic up people for better nat sound...or try something new that they end up with a boring run of the mill piece. You are trying and thats what I meant by that phrase.

I can tell you want to learn which why you posted your story...thats what this forum is for. I appreciate your response and sorry for the confusion.

Deft Depth

Too many fotogs are afraid to get close...to mic up people for better nat sound...or try something new that they end up with a boring run of the mill piece. You are trying and thats what I meant by that phrase.
LL I couldn't agree more. I'm not going to sit here and pretend to be the end-all be-all when it comes to top-notch videography because I simply am not; and watching the work of others on b-roll reminds me of that every day. But I think simple reminders like yours to simply want to stay hungry and unafraid of a story are what keeps pushing me forward and in an always-improving direction.

Latin Lens

LL I couldn't agree more. I'm not going to sit here and pretend to be the end-all be-all when it comes to top-notch videography because I simply am not; and watching the work of others on b-roll reminds me of that every day. But I think simple reminders like yours to simply want to stay hungry and unafraid of a story are what keeps pushing me forward and in an always-improving direction.
Exactly....this is the way to take a new approach to an old or boring story. Covered a Thanksgiving run for four years straight...it was a big deal in my first market...and by year three I was like "there's gotta be a better way to tell this story."....and by trying new things and just 'going for it'...the piece at year three was way better...and thats what this forum and critiques are all about. Just don't stop losing your desire to improve...I have 10 years and I still learn by studying and watching work posted here.

nguyen.jason

Staying out of the politics of everything. I think you both make great points on here and I couldn't agree more with the both of you.