Documentary Filmmakers Win Exemption from Digital Millennium Copyright Act

grinner

So much for continuing the expense of copyrighting our works and trademarking our brands. This makes no sense at all to me. We already have an entire industry of wedding vidiots who pirate music like it's theirs. This tells them they can steal shots as well. I realize this stipulates non profit but these dudes already charge for stolen elements. This only encourages theft.
:confused:

Dan R.

I'm not sure what to think about the ruling - it's not entirely clear what can be taken/used and what cannot. For example, does this mean a documentary producer can take stock footage (which normally requires payment for any and all usage) and use it under 'fair use' doctrine? I have about $100k invested in stock footage acquisition. Many shots took me years and four figures in expenses each to capture. It's a little disconcerting that someone could take it and be protected under this ruling.

In the end I'll just keep registering all of my best work and let the attorneys sort through it if someone tries to test the waters.