Lets hit the basics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oops, hit the wrong button there. The first 3 items refer to the prefixes from the Sony Betacam equipment. BVP is the broadcast series cameras, such as the BVP-30 (anyone still remember these?) through to the BVP-950, all dockable. BVU is U-matic broadcast, the model that comes to mind real fast (since I'm looking at one) is the BVU-800, which was a U-Matic (3/4") edit deck. BVW is the prefix for the broadcast Betacam series of complete camcorders or studio decks. One of the interesting things that Sony did was combine numbers with their dockable cameras. The classic betacam (before SP) dockable set was the BVP-30 camera docked to the BVV-1A recorder; Sony called this combination the BVW-130 camcorder. The first version in Betacam SP was the BVP-50 docked to the BVV-5; also known as the BVW-550.

Icarus112277

Originally posted by <UberRookie>:
quote: Originally posted by Icarus112277:
3:2 Pulldown
Pre-read
Combiner
SDI/ Embedded audio/ Mux/ Demux
Keyframe
Terminator
ISCE
Codi
EVS
Aliasing
Reference
Downstream keyer
9-Pin
Confidence
Para-Run
Omega Head
Aux Bus
Timeline
Send
Cap
Oof! I'm WAY too lazy to answer all of these but here are a few:

Pre-read is the ability for a machine to dissolve between a shot already laid down and a yet to be laid down shot by "pre reading" the video <---Prolly wrong on this one someone please let me know.

3:2 pulldown refers to the conversion between video and film usually by a telecine machine. Since there is a difference between 24 fps in film and 30 fps in video, the machine makes film viewable on an NTSC video screen by subtly adding a new video field every 3rd then 2nd frame.

Keyframe is a term that was originally used in animation to describe certain characteristics of a single frame of film. In non linear editing a keyframe can be used to manipulate certain settings applied to a channel of video over a period of time

Timeline: the visual representation of a video and/or audio project on a non linear editing system.
PreRead is a VTR function which puts the playback heads ahead of the record heads on the deck. Doing this makes it able to pull material, manipulate it, and replace it on the same deck in one pass.

Keyframe- actually I was referring to a keyframe in a DVE, which is how you map out effects. A keyfame is simply a snapshot of the DVE's settings which are stored for later recall by themselves or in a series, referred to as an effect.

Timeline- your def is coorect for an NLE, but it also refers to a series of settings done a switcher. YOu can program the switcher (most have this function- GVG 300 and 100 do not) to run a series of commands, thus freeing up the TD's hands for other work or simply allowing things to happen quicker than humanly possible. The GVG Kalypso has incredible power when using timeline effects (it does without a tieline too).

If you want the rest:
Combiner- part of a DVE which combines the seperate channels into one effect.

SDI/Embedded audio/ Mux Demux- the audio signal is combined with the serial digital input to create SIF, Serial Interface, which is one input that carries digital video, and 4 channels of audio. Digital material may be cloned this way, and in theory can can withstand 50 generations of cloning before dropouts should be noticed. Muxing is the act of marrying the audio to the video, demuxing is seperating the two.

Terminator- a 75ohm resistor which 'terminates' the video signal. If the signal is unterminated the video signal will be through the roof.

ISCE- individual code for a commercial- usually 4 letters and 4 numbers. Not sure what it stands for.

Codi- telestrator manufactureer, also used to mean telestrator

EVS- Server known for its awesome instant replay capability- bascially any sports shoot past a high school level will have at least one EVS onboard. nicknamed 'Elvis' although this is techinically incorrect since there is a similiar GVG product named LVS, and the people at EVS hate the confusion.

Aliasing- defects in a television picture. Certain equipment, especially DVE's contain anti-aliasing devices which smooth out the problems.

Reference- a signal of black given from the main house generator which syncs up all attached machines. This is especially important for analog- if your sources are not referenced to house and not timed properly there will be artifacts when cutting between different sources.

Downstream keyer- one of the last points out of a switcher. Named because it happens downstream of most everything else.

9-Pin- most common connector for establishing machine control between multiple devices

COnfidence head- the confidence head comes after the record head on a VTR. When you turn on confidence head monitoring you are seeing the signal as it has been recorded, while you are recording it. Normally you are only seeing the record head, which is not as accurate a representation of what is actually being recorded.

Para-Run- A VTR setting which allows two machines to be controlled at the same time- similiar to a 'gang' but controlled from a deck. On a digibeta I believe its menu setting #201

Omega Head- the tape path design of the old Sony one inch machines. Named because it is in the shape of the Greek letter Omega.

Aux Bus- auxiliary switchable output of a switcher- what is normally used to feed things like monitors, camera returns etc.

send- fancy name for an output of an audio board; a program send or mix minus send is what telent get in their IFB

Cap- what you do with the camera at the end of the day- the vdeio operator 'caps' the camers with the OCP. When the camera is capped you will see a mostly white screen that tapers to black at the far left.

Icarus112277

Originally posted by Icarus112277:
How about:

PCM
AFM
NTSC
Underscan
Push/Pull
180 axis
Jump cut
Kicker
Bird
Window
Drop/NonDrop frame
VITC
Swag
I'll just get the ones that nobody touched for the benfit of those who may not know and are curious.

PCM/AFM are audio channel designations. Basically whether you want something to have 4 unique audio channels or to repeat the first 2 over again.

NTSC- No matter what anyone tells you NTSC is Never The Same Color

Underscan is a video monitor setting which allows you to see beyond the frame that is 'going home'. Most techs tend to use underscan to view everything, since we all know where safe title is. Underscan is also useful if you're looking for info such as Closed captioning or VITC.

Push/Pull- threw in a film term. The ability of a processing lab to overexpose or underexpose your film, just in case you think you may have f'ed up a bit and need some help, or in case you are going for an effect.

180 axis- Hope everyone knows this on- the imaginary 180 line imposed by a camera shot. Taking a shot fromt he other side of the line looks really bad.

Jump cut- a poor cut from one shot to another where not enough is changed- it looks like a mistake. Angle or composition must be significantly altered.

Kicker- light from behind aimed at the top of the subjects head, which gives a nice little highlight.

bird- satellite

window- time booked on the bird, or fiber, path etc

Drop/ Non drop frame- SMPTE timecode which allows events to be logged. Drop fram drops 3 frames every minute except for the tenth, non drop does not. Drop frame does this because NTSC video is actually 29.97 frames per second, dropping those frames makes the timecode stay even with real time. FYI timecode was developed for NASA back in the day. The head of the group which invented TC works in the engineering department of Editware, a NLE manufacturer and longtime edit controller manufacturer.

VITC- Timecode information stored on the lines outside of picture. If you're viewing in underscan you will see little bits and pieces moving- that is where VITC (Vertical Interval Time Code ) lives. VITC makes it possible to transfer timecode information without seperate cabling, although certain machines (like digibetas) do not hold VITC when shuttling (the numbers get scrambled which ia a hassle if you're trying to cure to a specific time).

I'm still interested to see some of those abbreviations defined, as I didn't know many of them.

I

imported_blank

Originally posted by Icarus112277: PCM/AFM are audio channel designations. Basically whether you want something to have 4 unique audio channels or to repeat the first 2 over again.
AFM=Audio Frequency Modulation.
This is the way "ANALOG AUDIO" is laid on the tracks that use the non stationary heads. AFM heads are on the same spinning drum which also carries the video heads. AFM audio is also referred to as non-linear audio. On consumer VHS AFM is referred to as "HI-FI" audio.

On most formats AFM audio is higher quality then stationary audio (also referred to as linear audio) This is mostly due to the higher writing speed of the heads spinning on the head drum. AFM audio does have drawbacks because its embedded in or near the video signal. On the recorder you can not use AFM tracks for audio only inserts.

PCM=Pulse Code Modulation
This is the way "DIGITAL AUDIO" is recorded on many formats. PCM audio does not suffer the drawback of AFM audio as on the recorder you can insert audio unto the PCM audio tracks however PCM does bring it's own bag of limitations.

BTW, regarding your sdi comment:
Digital material may be cloned this way, and in theory can can withstand 50 generations of cloning before dropouts should be noticed.

Even Digi-Beta suffers enough NOTICEABLE generation loss for any average Joe to notice - after 9 generations via SDI. So claims the maker of digi-beta - Sony. In reality you could probably spot the digi-beta gen loss even sooner.

news-shooter

Originally posted by Icarus112277:
ISCE

ISCE- individual code for a commercial- usually 4 letters and 4 numbers. Not sure what it stands for.

Its ISCI, and stands for International Standards Comercial Identification,
Remember this from my Master Control days.

Icarus112277

"BTW, regarding your sdi comment:
Digital material may be cloned this way, and in theory can can withstand 50 generations of cloning before dropouts should be noticed.

Even Digi-Beta suffers enough NOTICEABLE generation loss for any average Joe to notice - after 9 generations via SDI. So claims the maker of digi-beta - Sony. In reality you could probably spot the digi-beta gen loss even sooner.

"

As I said, "in theory", as quoted from Sony.

Lenslinger

WOW! I was scouring the site for the first time in a week or two and the next thing you know I'm enrolled in film school! Or at least that's what this most excellent thread feels like.

As a self-admitted amateur in the technology department, I'm dumbfounded (and sometimes bored silly) by the breadth of knowledge being bandied about here. I cannot be the only one taking note to better my understanding of the craft. But for Goddsake, Shaky - slow down! Some of us are a wee lacking on the techno-front. I'm plugging in a drop cord while your launching satellites. Pace yourself, man!

Not to paint myself a novice. I'm proud of the may ways I can manipulate a camera to enhance and affect the images it captures. But those techniques were learned on the fly and honed through repitition. I've just never been exposed to too many technical explanations of the instruments involved. In fact, I usually have a diminished appetite for such minutiae. But I value it's worth, and find your endless discourse of detailed exactitude oddly intriguing.

So, before any more I.Q. points dribble down my chin, CONTINUE....

tdelarm

Before I put my foot in my mouth...we talking about (CTDM)Compressed Time Division Multiplexing? :eek:

tdelarm

CTDM

Compressed Time Division Multiplex.

A method of processing chrominance signals for recording. When component video signals are recorded, both of the two chrominance signals (R—Y, B—Y) are time-compressed to half, multiplexed, and recorded on a single track one after the other.

PS - This is from the TVcameraman website glossary page.

BERM - Still have no idea!

Photog Cowboi

PRO user
Ok ladies and gentlemen,

Would someone help me compose a book using this info to pass out at colleges that don't bother to explain this stuff. I just learned more tech details here than I have in 5 years of school. As for the chart thing that was showed before the pic of the chip chart...I have seen one (PBS was using one) but I never got a chance to apply it.

The idea was...to use bars and adjust it accordingly on the scope. Then WB with a blank white board and then the chip chart. So please share with me more details about the chart with circles!

Icarus112277

The chart with the circles was necessary for tube cameras. If you ever use a chart nowadays, it will almost always be the normal chip chart, except for HD shoots, and you won'y have to do much if you're shooting except frame it up.

mopic77

Originally posted by tdelarm:
Damn! You guys are tough!!!

Great write up on the b-roll term. That definition is way before my time in the biz though…Looks like I’m going have to hit the books again and do some research.

Ya…I wasn’t sure about the Cine-60 thing…I was thinking lights but went camera…give me another chance coach ;) :D

I should of caught the “Bird” catch phrase as they actually call our SNG truck “big bird”…I think I better try a little harder to keep up with you guys.

This has been fun!
:)
The reason you were thinking camera is the afore mentioned CP16 which stood for Cinema Products, manufacturer of that model camera. You got the Cine in your head cause of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.