Lets hit the basics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdelarm

I’m feeling sassy tonight so…

Pick one, any one and give a definition for the topic or term used. Feel free to use an anonymous sig.

Focal length

Depth of field

Lens speed

F-stop

7.5 Megs

CCD.

1 volt of video

Knee

Dynamic setting

Audio buzz

ASA

Kelvin

Dynamic MIC

1 k

Pull it forward

Back time w/ sound under to full SOT

MOS

Split edit

Digital vs. analog TV satellite signal

COFDM

2 gig hertz

13 gig hertz

Hop

Bounce

IFB

Live reporter insert

One-man/women band

O’h…what the hell…”CIRCLE OF CONFUSION”

Feel free to add to this list as you see fit. These are just a few terms used on a daily basis.

PS…I don’t mean this to be in a smart ass way…I however think it could be useful information for a few still coming up through the ranks.

Cheers!
:)

Icarus112277

How about:

PCM
AFM
NTSC
Underscan
Push/Pull
180 axis
Jump cut
Kicker
Bird
Window
Drop/NonDrop frame
VITC
Swag

Tippster

The Fly on the Wall
Focal length - the operative distance in Millimeters between the lens element (not sure if it's the last or first) and the focal plane

Depth of field - the range of focus at a given f-stop. The greater the f-stop # (i.e. 11, 16, etc.) the greater the depth of field.

Lens speed - the smallest f-stop (largest opening) of a lens - i.e 2.8, 1.9, etc. the smaller the # the "faster" the lens.

F-stop - the corresponding numbers to a lens' aperture setting. I seem to dimly recall how they came up with the #'s, but I smoked too much grass in the intervening years... Suffice it to say that the greater the f-stop, the more closed the aperture, and thus the less light enters the camera.

7.5 Megs - no facking idea. It's close to the average transmission rate of a DSNG uplink signal. The Japanese prefer 9mbps.

CCD - charged coupled device (?) - your camera's "Chip"

1 volt of video - 100 IRE. White.

Knee - hmmm.... something to do with the black level.... 7.5 IRE?

Dynamic setting - What most stand-ups AREN'T. :D

Audio buzz - a major irritant in mults. Usually proportional to importance of clean audio.

ASA - light-sensitivity of your light capturing medium - be it a CCD or film.

Kelvin - temperature scale measured from absolute zero. Used to measure color of light sources. ~3200K is tungsten light, ~5600K is daylight.

Dynamic MIC - see "dynamic setting" above...

1 k - probably referring to a 1000 Watt light source.

Pull it forward - keep it clean, buddy...

Back time w/ sound under to full SOT - not enough time or gumption to answer.

MOS - Man On Street - interviewing the rabble. AKA : VoxPop, AAA

Split edit - editing audio and video with different inpoints - yet simultaneously... or sumpin'

Digital vs. analog TV satellite signal - well, one's digital, one's analog...

COFDM - I know not.

2 gig hertz - 2 billion cycles per second

13 gig hertz - 13 billion cycles per second

Hop - one leg of a transmission, be it from the truck to the station (Microwave) or one uplink/downlink combo in satellites.

Bounce - like a turn?

IFB - interruptable foldback. What everyone should use so the "talent" can hear the show. Doesn't "echo."

Live reporter insert - rather self-explanatory, no?

One-man/women band - really SHOULD involve drums, cymbals, and squeeze-boxes...

O’h…what the hell…”CIRCLE OF CONFUSION” - exactly. You tell ME.

Tippster

The Fly on the Wall
Originally posted by <russ>:
Slow morning at Rueters there Tipp?
F'n'A! And the extra-strong morning coffee didn't hurt, either. Ah, well... it beats standing in freezing rain or something...

I

imported_blank

Originally posted by Tippster:
7.5 Megs - no facking idea. It's close to the average transmission rate of a DSNG uplink signal. The Japanese prefer 9mbps.

----Nope, transmission rates are measured in megabits, not megabites - try again. :p

Audio buzz - a major irritant in mults. Usually proportional to importance of clean audio.

----can be caused by transmiting over modulated video

COFDM - I know not.

----a certain kind of modelation code used in transmiting digital data. :p :D

Tippster

The Fly on the Wall
Originally posted by Ivan:
quote: Originally posted by Tippster:

----Nope, transmission rates are measured in megabits, not megabites - try again. :p
Ach, Ivan.. where EXACTLY - does it say "Bytes" or "Bits"

The word "Megs" could be anything, yes/no? MBPS stands for "MegaBITS per Second," OUI?

Let the Bitch-slapping begin... :D

S

<Spell Check>

COFDM- Coded Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing

It's the modulation technique of 802.11a.

I

imported_blank

Wow Tippp, you hit the 1,000 posts mark :D welcome to the club....

Circle of Confusion

This is really Shaky posting this. I once used this name regularly on this board but retired it some time ago. But since I'm going to explain circle of confusion, I figured it would be fun to resurrect it for a few minutes.

The circle of confusion is a means of measuring and quantifying exactly what is considered in or out of focus. If you focus a lens on a single point of light, the lens projects the image of that point on the film or CCD. When you move the focus ring to take the point out of focus, its image becomes larger on the film plane or CCD. As it grows larger, it becomes a circle. The further out of focus, the larger the circle.

The size of this circle is what determines whether the image is in focus. The circle of confusion is the point at which the circle being projected from a single point of light is large enough that it no longer appears in focus. As long as the circular image of the point of light is smaller than the circle of confusion, it will still appear on the film or CCD as a point.

If this seems complicated, it is, but not really. An easy way to picture it is to get your camera out and watch the circles appear. Focus on a small light source off in the distance, then take it out of focus. You'll see a circle grow there in the picture. Now just mentally picture this happening for each and every one of the millions of rays of light being focused through your lens into points on the CCD. It's millions of tiny, overlapping circles on there, but only the ones smaller than the circle of confusion will appear in focus.

The circle of confusion is a useful calibration measure for depth of field charts, because it provides a mathematical point at which the image is defined as being out of focus. However, the circle of confusion changes depending on lenses and media. I don't have them in front of me, but I believe the old DOF charts in the ASC Cinematographers Manual for 35mm motion picture film used a circle of confusion of 1/500th of an inch. In the newer charts, the circle of confusion was reduced to 1/1000th of an inch, reflecting the improved grain of the film stocks available and the improvements in the coatings on motion picture lenses. In still photography, a common circle of confusion for DOF charts is .03mm for prints up to 8"x10". The acceptable circle of confusion will change not only with film size and lens quality, but print size as well. Depth of field charts will usually have the circle of confusion printed somewhere on them, as will DOF calculators.

In video, better resolution will also necessitate adjustment of the circle of confusion. The COC for HDTV will be smaller than for SD video. That's one of the reasons focus is so critical in HD. An HD camera will have less depth of field than an SD camera shooting with equivalent lens settings, because the higher resolution and better glass will make it easier to distinguish what is and isn't in focus. The point at which that distinction is made is the circle of confusion.

I always liked the circle of confusion from a philosophical standpoint. It's the point at which everything becomes clear, yet it still allows for some confusion beyond what the senses can measure. When you finally understand something that's been eluding you, you've crossed the edge of the circle of confusion, and you're no longer confused!

C

<C St. SW>

Ok Tip....you seem to be pretty good at this. Go back in your history book and try these:

VND
VNF
VNX
EKTACHROME 7239
EKTACHROME 7240
EKTACHROME 7250
85B
MAG
CORE
CINI-60-90
Colortran

The original origin of the term:

"b-roll"

Anyone who answers these and we'll know how far back you go.

tdelarm

I’m laughing my ass off…Tippster…great sense of humor…this board is-a-humming today!

VND
VNF
VNX
Hmmmm…..? Not sure!

Well…these are all reversal film meant as direct projection for television. Format 16mm and 35mm.

EKTACHROME 7239
High speed color reversal film intended for photography under low-level daylight illumination @ 5400 Kelvin (Daylight)

EKTACHROME 7240
7240 is a high-speed color reversal camera film intended for use in tungsten light and in daylight with an appropriate filter. (EI 125) or daylight (EI 80) - Good for TV news, sports such as NFL and documentary applications.

EKTACHROME 7250
My fav… high-speed - color reversal camera film that is intended for use in low-light situations @ 3200 Kelvin

85B
Daylight filter orange in color so you can use the above 3200Kelvin rated film outdoors. Actually the same filter in you video camera wheel…usually #2/3

MAG
What you would load the film into…don’t forget to use a bag.

CORE
The little thingy inside the roll of film.

CINI-60-90
Film camera

Colortran
We talking lighting here?

The original origin of the term:
"b-roll"

Well…it’s an old term used for editing actually. In the old days, when editing and dissolving between shots, you needed an “A” roll and a “B” roll to dissolve between. Years ago, this dissolve was done live during the newscast by a TD. The “A” roll had you SOT’s and any primary sound; the “B” had your cover footage, cutaways and what not. Both film rolls were rolled simultaneously and dissolved in between completing the story.

It’s a way outdated term as now days, NL edit machines have the capabilities of a zillion rolls hence…”C” roll, “D” roll ect.

Status
Not open for further replies.