Uni
Ute
Yabbie
Cray

Shaky & Blue

Originally posted by tdelarm:
CINI-60-90
Film camera
I think he meant Cine 60, which was a company that made battery belts. You would often see 30v Cine 60 battery belts powering Colortran top lights. You would also see them used to power film cameras, including the Arri S and the CP-16.

Originally posted by tdelarm:
The original origin of the term:
"b-roll"

Well…it’s an old term used for editing actually. In the old days, when editing and dissolving between shots, you needed an “A” roll and a “B” roll to dissolve between. Years ago, this dissolve was done live during the newscast by a TD. The “A” roll had you SOT’s and any primary sound; the “B” had your cover footage, cutaways and what not. Both film rolls were rolled simultaneously and dissolved in between completing the story.
Dissolves are not the original reason for b-roll.

When you edit a motion picture for theatrical release, you do all your editing with a work print struck from the original camera negative. When you're finished, you give your finished cut to a negative cutter, who then goes into a clean room to conform the negative to your cut. The negative has to be cut to be duplicated and eventually turned into release prints.

When you edit the work print, you normally use a tape splicer with clear tape. But you can't use tape on the negative, because you'll see the tape splice in the finished print and won't have a clean cut. Instead, you use hot splices. But when you edit film together using a hot splicer, you have to shave off the emulsion and physically press the ends of the film base together so that one frame overlaps. In the process, you destroy a frame of film, and you create an ugly edit point that will also show up in the final print if you don't hide it somehow.

The way you hide these cuts is to cut the negative into two reels, an a-roll and a b-roll, alternating each shot from one reel to the other, with black in between. In other words, you'll have the first shot on the a-roll and black slug film in the b-roll, followed by black in the a-roll and the second shot in the b-roll, and so on, checkerboarding down the reels.

You run the first roll through the contact printer and expose all the a-roll shots. The areas that were black do not get exposed on the positive print, and the splices are hidden in those unexposed or black areas. Then you rewind the print, sync it up and run the b-roll through. The b-roll exposes picture in the places that were black, but since the b-roll also has black that corresponds to the picture that's already there, its splices are also hidden.

That's the original purpose of a-roll and b-roll. Dissolves and fades were quick to follow, since the a/b system freed them from the camera.

C

<C St. SW>

Originally posted by Shaky & Blue:
I think he meant Cine 60, which was a company that made battery belts. You would often see 30v Cine 60 battery belts powering Colortran top lights. You would also see them used to power film cameras, including the Arri S and the CP-16.
Ahhh I knew that Shakey would get it. Yeah...I mispelled Cine....sorry. But Shakey got it. Even down to the 30v bulbs we used. A good hot Cine 60 with a Colortran really put out some light compaired to today's "mini-fills". We didn't call them "Sun Guns" for nothing.

As far as the term "b-roll" Shakey got an A again. However, in a purely news environment, we did use the clear tape splices directly on the film when putting together news stories. Most days the rundown was out far enough in advance to allow the chief editor to string the entire show on a single film reel (in order) with a short leader and "stopdowns" between each story. Producers (what were producers? ) couldn't just "drop" a story. They were all strung together, in order, and could only play in 'real time.' If your package busted, all you could do was go to a reader, go to break, or roll a net package on the 2 inch VTR. A really good master control engineer could re-rack a film piece and rethread the film chain during a break, but to do so was really risky.

A "stopdown" was a small peice of metal tape that went on the edge of the leader that "told" the film chain to "stop rolling." It in effect was a "cue" for the next story on the reel. This main reel was known as the "A-roll." The "B-Roll" was a seperate reel loaded on a second film chain (projector) that was made up of primarily cut aways that covered the jump cuts during interviews. Since the audio was a magnetic stripe on the film itself, there was no way to separate it, so to cover the jump cut when editing a sound bite, you had to cover it with a seperate piece of film.

By the way, reporter tracks were on "carts" much like the old 8 tracks, but in a continuous loop. They were rolled live by the audio engineer and mixed live with the natural sound on the film (NATSOF). Subaudible tones provided the "stopdown" on the carts. Since the audio and "b-roll" (by today's definition) were seperate, the audio track had to be timed precisely to the physical legnth of the film. Quite a dance by comparison to today's standards.

And TD...you know your film ...but to complete it....Ektachrome 7239 is VND, 7240 is VNF, and 7250 is VNX. We used VND, VNF and VNX for simplicity's sake. VND for "daylight", VNF for tungsten or "florescent", and VNX for "night stock." VNF was used most frequently since you could go inside to outside by just adding the 85B filter to the front of the lens instead of having to change mags. Having a ready loaded mag of VNX was a big deal for night time "spot" news....(we didn't call it 'breaking' back then) so much so, if you were the last to used the VNX mag and didn't reload for the next guy....there would be hell to pay!

And one last piece of trivia: A 400' reel (can) of film.... one time use....only 11 minutes of shooting at around $90.00 per can as of the late '80s. You had to shoot sparingly. Now you know why TV went to video tape! Today's price? A 400' can of VNX....around $195.00! PLUS processing! Ouch!
Here's why, if you want to shoot film, you have to be good.

C

<C St. SW>

Originally posted by <C St. SW>:
....only 11 minutes of shooting at around $90.00 per can as of the late '80s....
Sorry....that should have been the late '70's

Damn! Am I that old?

David R. Busse

And TD...you know your film ...but to complete it....Ektachrome 7239 is VND, 7240 is VNF, and 7250 is VNX. We used VND, VNF and VNX for simplicity's sake. VND for "daylight", VNF for tungsten or "florescent", and VNX for "night stock." VNF was used most frequently since you could go inside to outside by just adding the 85B filter to the front of the lens instead of having to change mags. Having a ready loaded mag of VNX was a big deal for night time "spot" news....(we didn't call it 'breaking' back then) so much so, if you were the last to used the VNX mag and didn't reload for the next guy....there would be hell to pay!

And one last piece of trivia: A 400' reel (can) of film.... one time use....only 11 minutes of shooting at around $90.00 per can as of the late '80s. You had to shoot sparingly. Now you know why TV went to video tape! Today's price? A 400' can of VNX....around $195.00! PLUS processing! Ouch!
Here's why, if you want to shoot film, you have to be good. [/QB]
7239 had a very unique color shift when pushed...typically a stop or more. 7239 looked great under many weird lighting conditions like high school gyms and certain halls of government with many mixed light sources. I always carried a mag of 7239 for indoor sports shoots and other weird (but non-daylight) lighting situations.

BTW--I was a big 7250 fan and used the hell out of it in many situations, along with both the "85B" wratten gel filter and the "85BN6" filter, which brought the film's daylight speed down into the range of 7240.

7250 also was always loaded in my filmo for nighttime spot news use. With a two-stop push you rarely needed light at a night spot news scene.

How many people could reload mags in a changing bag while driving?

whatsatripod

okay here comes my film degree from left field time to shake the old cob webs out ye old head....

9:2 Pull Down
Is a conversion method to conform nondrop frame video to drop frame video er vice versa...

NTSC of Course is NEVER THE SAME COLOR or National Television Standards Commision.

9 pin a connector that allows a master deck to sync to a slave deck or how many pins are in the connector in general usually used for the affor mentioned reason.

Keyframe, A marking in digital format that determines when specific events are going to occur at a specified timecode.

now for my 2 cents on other things

rotoscoping
t-stop
polarizing filter
ESPN
NBC
CBS
ABC
BNC
"f" connector
XLR

B

<basset>

how about...

"sound Scoopic"
"silent Scoopic"
RE-50
quad split
film chain
slide chain
Auricon

B

<basset>

the Plumbicon was a camera tube, served the same function as a chip in today's cameras... and it was better known as the "lag-a-con"...

news-shooter

Originally posted by whatsatripod:
NTSC of Course is NEVER THE SAME COLOR or National Television Standards Commision.

I think it's National Television Standards Committee. Could be wrong, though.

David R. Busse

How about TT&C Beacons?

They are telemetry, tracking and control signals used to maintain satellites in orbit. Each satellite has a beacon in a unique place on the spectrum, and knowing the location of each bird's tt&c beacon is another way to confirm the bird's ID on the spectrum monitor.

Or PEGAD? This is an old term from the days of telco line-feeds of news material. Permission Granted to Add...it means you were granting others permission to receive your feed.

Phone companies and many television stations rever to their central switching center as TOC--variously "technical operations center" or something like that.

In the old days, the telco people doing TV feeds were high-seniority and some referred to this central office as "NR" which stood for "National Radio." Dunno where that came from--the term dates from the 1940s, I'm told-- but I recall network producers feeding film stories from my old station many years ago and some of our old engineers would "call NR" to check on the quality of the feed into the telco hub.

tdelarm

Damn! You guys are tough!!!

Great write up on the b-roll term. That definition is way before my time in the biz though…Looks like I’m going have to hit the books again and do some research.

Ya…I wasn’t sure about the Cine-60 thing…I was thinking lights but went camera…give me another chance coach ;) :D

I should of caught the “Bird” catch phrase as they actually call our SNG truck “big bird”…I think I better try a little harder to keep up with you guys.

This has been fun!
:)

C

<C St. SW>

Originally posted by David R. Busse:
... I'm told-- but I recall network producers feeding film stories from my old station many years ago and some of our old engineers would "call NR" to check on the quality of the feed into the telco hub.
David....do you remember how after finishing a feed to NYC we would notify the TOC that a they could make the switch to the next station? We would open a live mic and yell "THAT IS ALL FROM (insert market) AT THIS TIME!" Then they would make the switch.

At least thats what we did with the old NPS...(News Program Service) which was NBC's precursor to A-News, which was before Newschannel. There may have been a couple other names in there somewhere as well.

C

<C St. SW>

Originally posted by news-shooter:
How about Saticon tubes?
Did the RCA TK76 have them?
Actually, most guys would kill for Plumbicons in their cameras compaired to the Saticons. The "plumbs" didn't smear or "lag" nearly as bad as the "sats". You could burn a hole in Saticons much faster. Likewise, plumbs were much more expensive, so when you had them in your camera, you took damn good care of them and made sure you didn't leave your camera pointed at any lights. Most TKs had Saticons as standard.

T

<TXTVdude>

Yo, Tip...

Last I checked the old TV handbook, IFB stood for Interrupt Feedback, not Interrupt Foldback...am I missing something here???

Status
Not open for further replies.