Working in Australia?

I'm looking for a change of scenery and was considering working in another country while I don't really have anything tying me down.

Anyone have any experience with this or info on working in Australia?

Baltimore Shooter

Too bad the Australian V8 Supercar races have already begun for this year, I would love to go down there and shoot that. Today's high is supposed to be 20F, but in Australia, it's...SUMMER!!!

Warren

bromor

Oz

Australia is a great place to work, but you have to watch out for the damn Kangaroos, they are taking over the cities.

Ben Longden

It was a cool and balmy 42 degrees here today.

Thats celcius...
And three months of it to go....

Seriously though. Come over to the free world.

Ben

Lensmith

I thought Australia had very strict rules about who could come there to live and work if they were not a citizen. I was under the impression a person had to bring a certain amount of money with them so as to prove they would not be a burden on the state...as well as supplying skills that were not readily available if a company hired a local.

I didn't find the specifics of my question above...but I did find this to be an interesting article about migrating to Australia.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/australasia/australia-relaxes-its-immigration-rules-to-persuade-skilled-young-britons-to-emigrate-461911.html

It seems to help if you are British citizen instead of from other countries.

AlexLucas

"Australia- It's like Glasgow with a tan."

Oh, and don't expect the Aussies to respond. They can't see this.
They probably ran out their broadband cap just booting the page.
:)

Last edited:

Chugach3DGuy

I remember looking into what it would take to get a job down there in Australia, and found that because I was looking to get into the CG/Video industry, they weren't interested in me. They were more keen on bringing in scientists of all kinds and people with a whole lot of schooling and educational merit. Interestingly enough, New Zealand seemed like it was rolling out the welcome mat for anyone and everyone. It looks incredibly scenic, but like I said, I looked at these things about 8 years ago, so things may have changed...

As to the free world bit, didn't the national government down there institute some kind of internet filtering or monitoring?

AlexLucas

Australians live so far away from civilization that you're going to have to type in all caps just for them to see it.... like this...

I SAY. OLD CHAP. DID A DINGO EAT YOUR BABY?
I SAY. DO YOU HAVE ANY CLEVER TERMS FOR VOMITING TO TELL ME?
I SAY. YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO SOBER UP BEFORE I UNDERSTAND YOU.

Then they can respond. Also, it can be hard to understand sometimes. Something about magnetic fields.

From what I've seen of pictures down there, it's all dune buggies, assless chaps, mohawks, and guys with crossbows. Apparently they're still going through gas shortages down there. Scary place.

I've got a loose cousin named Kylie, and we'll put her in a pith helmet if you're really interested in an 'Authentic Austalian Adventure.';)

Canuck Photog

I thought Australia had very strict rules about who could come there to live and work if they were not a citizen. I was under the impression a person had to bring a certain amount of money with them so as to prove they would not be a burden on the state...as well as supplying skills that were not readily available if a company hired a local.

I didn't find the specifics of my question above...but I did find this to be an interesting article about migrating to Australia.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/australasia/australia-relaxes-its-immigration-rules-to-persuade-skilled-young-britons-to-emigrate-461911.html

It seems to help if you are British citizen instead of from other countries.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I'm guessing if you are a citizen of a Commonwealth country (a former or current British territory, dominion or colony), you are given preference over say, US citizens. I know here in Canada we have somewhat similar rules, but I understand rules for Americans who want to immigrate here are a little different given we share a continent and a common economy. That, and there's the whole NAFTA thing too. :)

I should add we have a bunch of US Iraq war "resisters" hiding up here...trust me, I've interviewed them. There's lots of them.

CP

mi3ke

but I'm guessing if you are a citizen of a Commonwealth country (a former or current British territory, dominion or colony), you are given preference over say, US citizens>>>> Hey now, just because we threw off the chains of our oppressors doesn't mean you have to get snitty about it!

Cheers, Mi3ke

aussie

Everyone is given equal footing but there are a lot of strict immigration hoops to jump through.
e.g proof of savings, employment history etc.

Deaf and Blind

Thanks for all the funny replies I had a good chuckle.

Serious answer.... Yes it is getting tougher to get in espechally on Age now anyone over 35 is going to have a harder time. But should you have a partner who is say a doctor, Nurse or medically qualified then you could just possibly find yourself getting fast tracked.

If you have a good trade like Plumber, electrician or similar that will help but as the world wide rescession starts to dig it's fingers even in to our nice little closeted industry it's going to be interesting to see what happens.

Please keep in mind the main cities ie Sydney Melbourne Brisbane and Perth have 5 stations each. ABC, 7,9,10 and SBS the regionals only have 7,9,10 as bureaues with some regionals only having 7,9, ABC even then that could literally consist of just a journalist in a broom closet.

Much as Australia and the US are only 2% different in size we have a total population which is smaller than Los Angeles. As a rough guesstimate there are about 700 freelance cameramen and soundies, I have about 500+ of them on my industry mailing list.

So please keep in mind it's an over subscribed market which is very small in itself, the V8's Warren are a closed shop / dead mans shoes sort of Gig I have worked on it a couple of times doing pit lane camera which is a hoot but can be a bit dangerous.
Ayres Rock is Bigger than Manhatton and should you want to get that touristy photo the car park everyone uses is actually about 110km away from it. That aside it's 260km off the main highway to get there.

On a closing thought, we have lots of space here, lots of space to hide a body if it's not been fed to the sharks first. Always be mindful of the shoes you step on.

Cheers

D&B