Wireless RF Safety

Phojo2

I'm wondering if anyone has read research on the long-term affects of wireless RF technology...the wireless packs that are attached to the back of a camera and then transmit the video/audio signal to a receive box. Specifically, are there any adverse affects from having this antenna near your brain or body?

A station in town is just getting these units and I'm afraid our station will get them as well.

One of the many units out there is shown in this link:
http://www.mrcbroadcast.com/broadcast/portable/wireless_camera_systems/linkhd

PhrozenPhoto

I don't know any of the specifics, but I will say I just used one of our new ones today in the Twins clubhouse for a postgame show, and the antenna was way above my head, and although it added weight, it absolutely rocked to be able to freely get around the clubhouse. Our engineer told me that even getting around the whole clubhouse it was only set on low power and performed flawlessly. Would I want it next to me 8 hours a day 5 days a week? Probably not, but as fast as the setup is on those things, I can think of plenty of places I'd hook into that to do a dog lick live shot than spend all the time and effort of cabling in.

Rad

We've got these things... we've only used'em once. We're told they are safe... I don't know... but after years of Microwave trucks, sat trucks, wireless mics, cell phones and walking under the broadcast tower... I'm amazed I don't an extra arm growing out of my forehead.

Portable ENG

We just got these in and have been wondering what, if any, hazards there may be. There are many internet sites you can go to but it all boils down to "we don't know".
Below are some sites that might help.
Here is the short version of what we are telling photogs..... We transmit at the lowest level ( 1/10 watt) with the antenna about 9 inches away. The most common problem with microwave energy is that it heats the body. At 9 inches, you should limit your exposure to about 6 minuets each transmission. After an equal amout of "down" time you can transmit 6 more minuets. If you move the antenna further away (UP) you can gain more transmit time (one of the internet sites will give you information on this) Two areas of the body are more susseptable then others ... your eyes and nads ... they have a lower blood flow and do not remove heat a readily. We are also advising our female staff that they should avoid this equipment if the are pregnant... We are looking to be extra safe here. No info about it just trying to be protective. There is one study, done by the Russians, about 6-7 years ago that showed tumors in rabbits. This has not been able to be duplicated. The W.H.O. commisioned a study in 2003 but there are no results.
One sign of low exposure is
A burning sensation on your skin (like a sun burn)
Some signs of over exposure (LONG TERM OR VERY HIGH LEVELS OR BOTH)
Fatigue - Forgetfulness - Painfull Joints - Cataracts - Sever Head Ache

Here are the sites.

www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Engineering_Technology/Document/bulletins/oet56/oet56e4.pdf
This is good information with many references for more research.

http://www.who.int/peh-emf/research/rf03/en/print.html
This is the World Health Organization site

www.cdc.gov/nish/hhe/reports/pdfs/2007-0095-3063.pdf
This is the Center for Disease Control

http://my.athenety.net/~multiplx/cgi-bin/rfsafety.cgi
This is an RF safety compliance calculator operated by "HAM Radio"

Stay Safe.

s4k2i0

"Some signs of over exposure (LONG TERM OR VERY HIGH LEVELS OR BOTH)
Fatigue - Forgetfulness - Painfull Joints - Cataracts - Sever Head Ache"

Aside from the Cataracts how are we to determine if that is from RF exposure or just working in the news industry too long?

Bismarck

I don't know any of the specifics, but I will say I just used one of our new ones today in the Twins clubhouse for a postgame show, and the antenna was way above my head, and although it added weight, it absolutely rocked to be able to freely get around the clubhouse. Our engineer told me that even getting around the whole clubhouse it was only set on low power and performed flawlessly. Would I want it next to me 8 hours a day 5 days a week? Probably not, but as fast as the setup is on those things, I can think of plenty of places I'd hook into that to do a dog lick live shot than spend all the time and effort of cabling in.
What kind are you using? I'd love to use one that's that quick and simple to set up. We occasionally use an RF video transmitter for some live shows we do, and the set we rent is finicky as hell and a real pain to set up. It usually takes an engineer about an hour to get it working properly.

PhrozenPhoto

What kind are you using? I'd love to use one that's that quick and simple to set up. We occasionally use an RF video transmitter for some live shows we do, and the set we rent is finicky as hell and a real pain to set up. It usually takes an engineer about an hour to get it working properly.
I believe it is made by Nucomm, the engineers have been on site, so I can't say how long they have to tinker with it, but from my end it is as simple as plugging it onto my AB plate, hooking a video line in, and a Panasonic style 5 pin cable between the unit and my P2 (the unit has a 5 pin as well) You put a battery on and it powers itself up. It has an iPod style click wheel to move around the menus. All in all pretty slick. I'll see if I can dig up some more info on it, I guess we're still getting pieces in on it, but what we have works great!