Tornado Warnings

phatwilson

As a photog, am I expected to head out in the station SUV to an area when it comes under a Tornado Warning? Is this not dangerous? I had my Assistant ND tell me "this is what you signed up for." Did I? I have no problem shooting a severe storm or heading out afterwards to shoot the aftermath. But to be in an SUV with no weather spotting training in an area under a Tornado Warning seems to be a bit to dangerous. I'm only a year into this photog thing and in a small market, so I'm interested in knowing if this really is what I signed up for? Your thoughts. Thanks.

TexasDave

If you ever think you are in danger, stop what you're doing. If you hit an obstable (like the ND, go to HR).

No reason to be in a situation that you think puts yourself in danger. I assume that you are going out to try to capture a tornado, right? That's ridiculous that the ND expects you to put yourself in a path of a tornado.

I'm curious to what others here think. We had a scare where a crew went out and a tornado came on top of them. We had 2-way radios, and they reported seeing the tornado coming straight for them, then radio silence. We were all nervous. Turned out they took shelter under an overpass off the highway, and the wind was so loud, they never heard us checking in on them. They were all ok.

I don't think they should send you out. Now if you happen to be on a story and see a torndao off in the distance, stop and shoot a second, if you have the time and are safe.

photogguy

While I would never advocate putting ones self in danger...it is what you signed up for.

Some of the most compelling weather video is shot DURING the worst of the weather. If you're just shooting aftermath vid, you're playing catch-up.

Plus, even if you don't get video of a tornado (in 19 years of shooting, I have yet to even SEE one, let alone shoot video of one), if you're in the area already, you will get better video of the emergency crews arriving on the scene.

Don't wait for news to happen before leaving the newsroom.

The caveat...if you DO actually see a tornado, make sure you are in a safe place, always thinking about where the tornado is headed. If you find your position untenable, duck and cover. You don't get paid enough to get injured on the job.

It's a fine balance between doing extraordinary work and placing yourself in danger.

Land Rover

If storm chasing is a part of the job then there should be some formal training for the staff that will be out in the weather even if its just the stations meterologist explaining things. I can't believe they're not giving any simply from a liability issue.

Never put yourself in a position where you feel unsafe. Once you're in the field you are responsible for your safety, not someone sitting at a desk back at the station. I think most of the people on this board have stories about not shooting or cancelling live shots out of fears of their safety. That being said, shooting in bad weather is part of what we do.

We were chasing tornados once and I had a producer ask if we could stop and setup a live shot so they could get video of the great wall cloud we saw. I told them about all the lightening and they asked if I could just raise the mast a little then. We didn't do the shot because I wasn't stupid enough to raise a lightening rod in a thunderstorm. Look out for yourself when you're out there.

smltm4nw

If you feel that you are in danger then it is up to you to draw the line. It's the same idea with live shots it's up to you to call a shot if you don't think you can do it safely.

Me I love chasing tornado's, I haven't got one yet, but when I do it's going to be awesome. I have no desire to get caught in the tornado so that's where I have to have the line drawn on how close I'm going to get or the time of day I'm going to do it.

Wutangmaster

The sad thing is yes it is part of the job but your station should give you the training so you don't put yourself in danger. Our station gives us storm training every year put on by the national weather service. The guys are great and tell us what we need to know.

If you do find yourself trapped in a tornado today (and I hope you don't) get out of the car and find the lowest point and lay flat. Stay away form over passes and do not crawl into culvert's. If a house is nearby knock on the door and see if they will let ya in.

I have captured two in my seven years and it can be crazy. Try to stay safe and stay out of danger. Also, ask your weather guys if there is anything you need to know before you go out.

servo

You signed up to do some of the most dangerous stuff out there. Tornados are only part of it. You also signed up to run to shooting scenes without a gun at 3am. Suck it up and watch your back. Be ready to take cover in any situation. You may even find yourself knocking on someone's door who welcomes you with a shotgun in hand because he hates the media and he's had enough. Just always roll. ROLL TAPE ALWAYS.
If you don't like it, get out. It's not always fun or safe. That's what makes this job what it is, stupid, crazy, dangerous, boring, exciting. Something else no other job can give you.

Cambot Mk. II

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with the "this is what you signed up for" line. When I was working ENG, I didn't sign a damned thing that said I had to do stupidly dangerous things or else I would get fired.

If I thought the WX situation was dangerous enough to merit waiting and I caught flack from a producer, I would invite the offending party to go out there with me. That stopped at least one argument cold.

That said, if you're behind the storm, you're less likely to get hurt.

Stations should require 2-person teams for any wx-chasing... One person to drive and the other to observe. When you combine changing wx, wx radios, storm-spotter radios, cell phones and a deadline, it's an invitation for problems.

I'm glad that life is behind me for now.

Grip

To a degree, I have to say, that is what you signed up for. Now you dont want to get yourself hurt, but part of that is on you. Find out when or if, there are any weather watcher meetings. A lot of places that have severe weather will provide information and some training to community members so they can call in warnings.

I miss severe weather, and chasing a tornado is on my list of favorite things I have done with a camera. The worst part, is usually the hail, which is why its nice to have a hatchback or something that can be a shooting shelter.

And its not like the best video will be right under the tornado, so there is nothing wrong with staying at a distance.

I would rather chase a tornado or wade through flood waters over going to some lame city council meeting or court case any day.

Shootblue

Our place is more the all kinds of stories afterwards shop, we do very little chasing, though we have the staff to. A few of us would like to, but it never happens. It's a great and easy way to get paid.

Corporate Management

I'm FAR from an expert when it comes to storm stories, but here's my two cents, nonetheless:

I think there's something to be said for waiting until the reports of damage come in. More often than not, it seems like tornadoes can pop up anywhere in a wide area. Heading to one place can leave you far out of position when the tornado hits somewhere else, and the most centrally-located spot is going to be the station itself.

That being said, I'd encourage anyone to at least get a basic knowledge of what storm systems look like. As long as there isn't heavy rain, spotting a wall cloud isn't difficult. You should stay in touch with the meteorologists (NOT the newsroom!) and you'll have a good idea of where the storm is heading.

Also, put yourself in an area with a wide view of your surroundings...where you can see as much of the horizon as possible. Being in a town, even one with just single-story buildings, is going to be a problem. Spotting the wall cloud is, to me, critical.

Once you see one, I'd recommend putting the camera on the tripod and rolling for at least two or three minutes. Speeding that video up when you get back will really let the people at home see the rotation--I've found that while the rotation may be very obvious to you with your naked eye, it just doesn't translate well on a TV screen, for some reason.

If a tornado drops out of the wall cloud, you should obviously be on high alert. If you've thought ahead, you'll be in a place where you can easily seek shelter, even if it's in a ditch. Remember, inside a car is just about the least safe place you can be. And if you've stayed in touch with the weather dudes back at the station, you shouldn't be anywhere near close enough to be in any real danger.

But I'll always stand by the statement that the people in the field are the ones to make safety-related decisions, and NEVER one of your superiors sitting at a desk. If it doesn't feel safe, don't do it. Ideally, this will be a calm conversation you've had with them long before. Any boss worth anything is going to agree with you. When you're being told "this is what you signed up for," it's too late. And going to HR is, more than likely, going to put a huge target on your back. Firing you for not rushing headlong into danger isn't going to be an option for them...but finding some other reason to do so is.

Again, just my two cents. And I'd highly recommend looking around online for pics of wall clouds, and any storm-spotting information, if you're not going to take a class. I'm sure your meteorologists would be happy to help...they're generally weather geeks, and love to talk about it.

svp

stay southeast of the storm. most supercell thunderstorms track from southwest to northeast and some track west to east. if you are on the north side of the storm you are in trouble. that's where you're likely to get caught in the severe hail and rain and won't be able to see the tornado coming if its on the ground.

if you haven't had any spotter training and don't have live radar in your vehicle, you should not be driving into an area under a tornado warning. if you're station is going to put you in that position, they need to make sure you are properly trained so you can stay safe. you should also have a two way radio in your car with direct contact to your station meteorologist so they can keep you informed of the danger zones.

keep in mind that if you are sent into an area where there is a tornado warning, or a tornado on the ground, you're not there for the video. you're there to give your meteorologist real time info on the storm and to possibly do live phoners as the storm moves. your job DURING a tornado is to aid the meteorologist in informing the public so they can get enough warning to seek shelter. i know your a photojournalist but video is NOT your top priority when a tornado or funnel cloud is spotted. Now, nine times out of then, you can get video but don't do it at the potential cost of the publics lives.

one more thing. under NO circumstances should you try to keep up with a storm after dark. once night falls, trail the storm and get your aftermath shots.

and yet another tip: STAY OFF THE INTERSTATES. its the worse place to be. stick to the small backroads and make sure you have maps at the ready. don't rely on gps when chasing a storm.

Last edited:

villagevidiot

Remember the "white" side is the right side. The thing about tornados is that they are unpredictable. SVP is correct, if you want to get video or at least keep the meterologist infomed, stay at the SE of the storm...the hail core typically is on the NE side of the storm...If you find yourself in the path of the beast...HEAD SOUTH AS FAST AS POSSIBLE. A good tool to get is the Basic Storm Spotters guide. I believe you can write the National Weather Service in Norman and get some for your station. As far as what you signed up for...they teach us in college that the journalist is to serve in the public interest, to a degree your ND is correct...if he wants video, he is not correct. At this point, I say that your priority is to protect the public...if you stay in this career, it will serve you to get some training...trust me go out with experienced guys for fun. You will have fun then! Good luck!

cameradog

But to be in an SUV with no weather spotting training in an area under a Tornado Warning seems to be a bit to dangerous. I'm only a year into this photog thing and in a small market, so I'm interested in knowing if this really is what I signed up for?
Your assistant ND is a fool. Unfortunately this business is full of fools. You can see a few on this very thread. You have not had sufficient training nor are you paid enough to justify putting yourself at risk. You did not "sign up for this."

I have worked with managers like yours. A particularly bad one once told me that doing a live shot of a thunderstorm rolling in was "part of the job." What I discovered is that it does no good to argue with them. These types know they're asking something stupid. They're asking because they want the confrontation. They want you to argue with them, so they can pull out their authority and beat you with it.

You have a few options.

You can just suck it up and do it. When you're dead, you can rest easy knowing you were a team player and a loyal employee.

You can refuse. If you're going to refuse, you have to be ready to go toe to toe with them and possibly be fired for insubordination. Usually these bullies huff and puff... and then back down like cowards when you end up in the HR lady's office telling her what you were told to do. However, if you don't get fired outright you can pretty much expect that the manager will be building a paper trail on you after that. Then you'll find yourself unemployed several months later for a bunch of stupid crap you didn't actually do.

You can go to HR yourself and report what you were told to do. The problem is that HR is there for the company's protection, not yours. They won't see you as a victim of a bad manager. They'll see you and the manager both as threats to the company. Sometimes they'll see you as the bigger threat and work with the manager to find some way to get rid of you. So you have to be ready to lose your job with this method also.

You can weasel. Personally I think this is the most prudent thing to do. When the idiot assistant ND tells you to go chasing a tornado, say, "Yes sir!" and head out the door. Then get lost for a while. Don't hurry to the location. Sorta drift that direction. When they call asking for reports, tell 'em you haven't seen anything yet, but by golly you're looking. Sound enthusiastic! Unless they have equipped your news unit with a GPS tracker, they don't know where the hell you are. Eventually they'll call you with a damage report in a particular location, and you can head there then.

And here's a tip on getting rid of them on the phone. If you're in the middle of a conversation with them, and they're giving you sh*t about not being in the right place, start to say something and then hang up on yourself in the middle of a sentence. Nobody ever intentionally hangs up on himself. They'll assume your phone cut out. Then just don't answer for a while when they call back while you continue to "look" for the storm. They'll assume the storm is f*cking with your phone. Call back a little later and say, "I've been trying to reach you guys, but the call wouldn't go through. Any instructions on where you want me to go?"

Several years ago, when I worked for my idiot assistant ND who thought lightning live shots were "part of the job," our competitors got a little overzealous also. They put a photog in a truck labeled "Storm Chaser" or some such nonsense and sent him out to chase storms. The thing is, that DMA is mountainous, or at least hilly, and you can't see a wall cloud coming over the next ridge. So he's driving along toward the tornado, being steered toward it by his newsroom as they watch the radar. Suddenly the tornado dipped down over a ridge right on top of him. Sucked all the windows out of the car and spun it around on the highway. He wasn't injured. But he came damned close, and never had a chance of getting any video at all.

Don't kill yourself for this job. It isn't worth it. You're not paid enough for the risk, and you won't be a hero. In fact, the idiot manager who sent you out to do it will be so afraid of wrongful death lawsuits, OSHA investigations and insurance investigations that he'll denounce what you did as stupid and deny that he ever told you to do it.

svp

In fact, the idiot manager who sent you out to do it will be so afraid of wrongful death lawsuits, OSHA investigations and insurance investigations that he'll denounce what you did as stupid and deny that he ever told you to do it.
This is why, at my last job, I carried around a small concealed mp3 player that doubled as a digital voice recorder. Anytime I was called into the office for a "talk" or told to do something stupid like that, I'd start recording and ask them again what they wanted me to do. At one point, they wanted to fire me for something what wasn't my fault. When the ND had a "talk" with me he accused me of being a bully to reporters. When the reporters told him he was wrong, I called him out on it in the HR office. He backed off and that wasn't included in my "write up". Little did he know that I had that entire conversation on my recorder and was going to turn it over to an attorney if I were fired. By the way, I was wrote up for leaving a breaking news scene, even though I was instructed to leave by the EP because they didn't want to pay the overtime. Of course, we missed the suspect being pulled from the house while everyone else had it live. The EP denied ever telling us to go home. THAT is when i started recording EVERYTHING. It got to the point where anytime a photog was called into the ND's office, they'd come to me and ask to borrow my recorder first. When the GM had to approve one of my "sweeps" stories before it aired, he didn't like it because the story was balanced and didn't make this group of people look evil enough. I have that on the recorder too. I have so much saved on that recorder that I could have really caused problems for that place if I wanted too. Get it on tape and then they can't deny it. Remember, nobody in this business cares about you except YOU.

I always jumped at the chance to chase storms because I enjoyed it and never felt like I was in danger. However, one night, around 10:30pm, there was a report of a tornado on the ground and the desk wanted me to head there immediately. I outright refused. I told them I had no problems trailing and getting damage but I wasn't going to drive into an area where a tornado is on the ground when its completely dark and I can't see. That was just too dangerous. The producer and assignment desk got very mad at me but, surprisingly, the ND never said anything about it.

Fortunately, I now work in a great place with excellent managers and don't have to resort to this anymore.

Last edited:
I think you are getting some good advice here. Storm chasing is relatively safe when you have the training and a good support staff at the station who are looking at the radar in real time. Quite frankly the biggest danger now is having a collision with all the Yahoos who want to go see the 'nader. I still blame the movie Twister.

First off I would send your management an email saying that you would feel safer chasing the storms if you had some training in what to look for. You night even call your local weather service office and see if they offer any. This leaves a nice paper trail if you are ever sent into a situation and get hurt.

Being from a small market you might try contacting an affiliate in a larger market and see if they will let you sit in on their refresher traing they do each year. Or atleast talk to their chief and see if he can give you some info. As a fellow photog and not just off the street I would bet they might lend you a hand.

Above all stay safe and don't get in a situation where you don't know where you are in relation to the supercell and are lost on some unmarked oilfield road. Lost and disoriented is the worst way to try and shoot a tornado.

servo

Your assistant ND is a fool. Unfortunately this business is full of fools. You can see a few on this very thread. You have not had sufficient training nor are you paid enough to justify putting yourself at risk. You did not "sign up for this."

You have a few options.

You can just suck it up and do it. When you're dead, you can rest easy knowing you were a team player and a loyal employee.

You can weasel. Personally I think this is the most prudent thing to do. When the idiot assistant ND tells you to go chasing a tornado, say, "Yes sir!" and head out the door. Then get lost for a while. Don't hurry to the location. Sorta drift that direction. When they call asking for reports, tell 'em you haven't seen anything yet, but by golly you're looking. Sound enthusiastic!

And here's a tip on getting rid of them on the phone. If you're in the middle of a conversation with them, and they're giving you sh*t about not being in the right place, start to say something and then hang up on yourself in the middle of a sentence. Nobody ever intentionally hangs up on himself. They'll assume your phone cut out. Then just don't answer for a while when they call back while you continue to "look" for the storm. They'll assume the storm is f*cking with your phone. Call back a little later and say, "I've been trying to reach you guys, but the call wouldn't go through. Any instructions on where you want me to go?"

QUOTE]

Hey cameradog, you get lost going to active shooting scenes cause you're too scared and just spoonfeed your BS to the ND and hang up on yourself?
I don't want anyone working for me to be dumb enough to get killed but I also don't want anyone working for me that's too scared to do there job. You won't get killed if you play it smart but at least try to get the shot. How ever foolish I may be, I'm still alive.
Wussy togs get on my nerves.
And not doing quote thing right gets on my nerves.

HokiePhotog

Interesting this thread came up, here's why...

Back at the end of April, an especially nasty line of storms was headed in our market's direction... My reporter and I were on our way to our story for the day when we got a call from the desk.

"A tornado warning has just been issued for Suffolk... the storm is supposed to be in Driver at 4:15. Head there now!"

So we start heading in that direction... winds were a bit high, but hardly any rain and/or lightning... As we exit the interstate, the clouds got a bit darker, but no huge rain or anything. We make it to Driver, the winds pick up a bit and we have a steady rain... on the other side of Driver The rain really starts coming down. I tell my reporter to keep an eye on the skies as I concentrate on driving. We get to the end of the road, turn around and come back the other way... off to the right I see a SUPER dark cloud that's seemingly touching the ground. BINGO. We have a tornado... The rain has lightened up a bit and the clouds were light (The "white" side of the storm I now know), I stop the truck and whip out my MiniDV camcorder and roll on the funnel which is probably a couple miles away... After a couple minutes I can tell it's definitely getting closer, so I parallel the storm and cut up the other side of it and ended up rolling on it again as it was headed away from us.

The thing I learned? If I had just gone to where the desk told me to and waited, the tornado would have been right on top of us after it had passed where we saw it. The other interesting thing was the first time we saw the tornado, I heard over the scanner, "Tornado is on the ground near Obici Hospital..." This was where some of more intense damage was done... the strip mall, houses, medical buildings, etc... Because of our positioning we were the first ground crew on scene (by phone), and first into one of the affected neighborhoods.

A big news story? Yes. Would we have gotten it if we had just gone to where the desk told us? probably not, as my truck would have been in a tree (or house). Good judgment is a must... but having a good knowledge of storms (or even just your story is always a good thing. We chase storms frequently around here, but not usually tornadoes. Usually just severe t-storms and hurricanes.

Stay safe out there!