Today Show - AirTran Live Shot

FTOJRLST

Today Show did a live shot this morning from 39,000 feet from inside an AirTran flight. The purpose was to show how Airtran is efforting being the first carrier with wireless internet on ALL of their flights by summer.

Here's a link to the story (and yes it's embedded on my blog, but it's the only link I have quickly handy right now) - http://tvphotogblog.blogspot.com/2009/05/live-at-39000-feet.html

It looks pretty good, but it seems they lost the signal for the tag. The pkg was pretty informative too.

Anybody out there have the techinical specs(equipment, converter box, etc...) of getting a quality signal from a broadcast camera to the computer? And besides skype and various other similar internet applications has anyone sent live video over the internet like this?

I'm messing around with a few things that I'll share when perfected.

Chicago Dog

FTOJRLST said:
I'm messing around with a few things that I'll share when perfected.
Good luck. I hope you have a few thousand dollars to drop once a month for a dedicated signal.

To us, it's a good idea for a live shot. To the audience, it's really nothing remarkable. The only thing funnier than the reporter calling it "internet technology" was the "internet on/off" switch. That reporter would be a hell of a pitch-man.

3G is still far too unreliable to support a live signal, let alone the size and time required to transmit high definition video.

Unfortunately, it's the overexcitement of this new type of transmission possibility that's going to cause people to change the channel or even turn their televisions off. They've been spoiled with clear, crisp microwave and satellite shots for the past few decades. They're not interested in seeing a so-called "bold" step backwards on their new HDTVs. They don't want to see that blocky crap.

We may think a new transmission type is clever, but the audience doesn't.

The live shot was done via www.aircell.com who installs and manages their proprietary 3g service on GoGo inflight WiFi and a Sony PD150. This was a media flight. At the time of the live shot, the GoGo tech allotted the full 3mg bandwidth to one laptop. Using Qvidium software to encode the video and audio. Qvidium is what we use for all broadband live shots including Bgan remotes. This software also allows a small amount of bandwidth for return video, but was turned off on this trip and only used the return audio for IFB. www.qvidium.com
Incidentally, GoGo blocks all VOIP applications on all airlines, but opened it up for testing. Skype was tested as a backup for this live shot but did not perform well due to latency issues.
Live from 39,000 feet: http://bit.ly/10Glij

cameradog

Pet peeve:

The purpose was to show how Airtran is efforting being the first carrier with wireless internet on ALL of their flights by summer.
Effort is a noun. Efforting is not a word.

Go slap your assignment editor for teaching you to say that.

David R. Busse

Turning nouns into verbs

Pet peeve:

Effort is a noun. Efforting is not a word.

Go slap your assignment editor for teaching you to say that.
Those of us who grew up listening to top-40 radio news of the 1960s (CKLW comes immediately to mind) learned at a very early age the art of turning nouns into action words. I kinda like it.

Canonman

let alone the size and time required to transmit high definition video.
Not too long ago, I would have agreed with you. But now I'm seeing HARDWARE, REAL-TIME H.264 encoders showing up in the market place. That's very important. Way back at NAB 2006, Sony did a live shot over the internet in HD during their press conference from Philadelphia. I believe that was also a 3mbs connection. I can't remember the hardware they were using to accomplish it though.

cm

wqert89

I understand that NBC needed a 4 man crew to pull this off. (3 Tech plus Costello)

And to say the least it looked a little better than some of the BGan video I have witnessed on NBC Lately.