Survivor

svp

Well, it was WAY too long. I timed it at 2:27. If its going to be that long it needs to be something like I'm used to seeing from KUSA where you're with her as she heads to the hospital for surgery, we see her prepped for surgery and concerned for the baby, she goes in, comes out, wakes up, and end with the baby being born healthy. The kind of story that is shot over a long period of time. You're telling the story after-the-fact and in that case, you could have done it in 1:30. I see what you were trying to do with all the SOTS telling the story but it just turned out way too long. Also, when the reporter track talks about her having surgery but it wasn't enough, all we saw was a cutaway shot of them sitting at the table talking. I would have used some surgery file and when she says it didn't work, dissolve from color to black and white or dip to black and fade up on her sot. Not a bad story but I was losing interest after a minute.

nguyen.jason

First off good job with what you had. I know how hard it can be because sometimes our reporters do long, long, long pkgs. Couple of things, you did a great job on the craftmen truck series commercial. I thought that was a great shot of them jacking up the table.
All joking aside, my main question is did you shoot the reporter nodding her head and stuff during the interview question at hand? Did you have two cameras to do that? Or did you pan over and get them during the interview and place them where you needed?
I thought the lighting was good, along with the placing of the interviews. I don't really think the pkg needed to be that long. I feel that it could have been shorter but I don't think the viewer would have liked it that way. Its a story that traps you in and you do watch everything. I didn't like the last sot you could tell you cut off whatever she said. I would have liked to hear alittle more on the bite. Other than that good job man.

NEWSSHOOTER3

Thanks

Thanks for the input guys!

Well, this was one of two packages that I shot that day (for later air) and I, too, wish we had the resources that Denver has. However, we do not. And, we cut this down from the original 3:08, cutting out all we could, still having a piece that made sense... I hope. Having said that, this is the first piece, over 2 mins, that I've cut in years, and years! I hate that it felt long. Oddly, it didn't to me, but that's why I ask.

This is a part of a new medical series that we're doing, so I HAD to put the Anchor in the piece as often as possible. Nothing I can do about that. But, to answer your question, I shot her cutaways when I felt the interview was wrapping up, using one camera. But, its funny you asked because I had two cameras with me (pro & P2) and I wish that I would have... or had time to set up both, really...

Thanks for checking it out...