Story Comparison

redcoat

[b-rollTV]1019[/b-rollTV]
[b-rollTV]1013[/b-rollTV]

-These are two versions of the same story explaining how high gas prices are motivating more people to consider 2 wheeled vehicles for transportation.

-The first one was written by the reporter and the second one is an alternate cut nat sound piece that I organized. I had so many leftover opportunities for nat sequences that I put this together for myself. The morning show producer liked it and ended up airing it.

-I'm curious if my version of the story did a worse, equal, or better job of telling the story when compared to the package. Of course, all other critiques in general are welcomed as well.

Last edited:

x31

How much time did you spend on the natspkg? Was it more time than on your original pkg?

I enjoyed the natspkg more.. there is really only one reason I can think of... the pacing! I got bored about 3/4 of the way through the first one. I felt the natspkg kept me hooked.

Great natural sound, you did a great job with the interviews, and the whole piece, to me, was visually interesting! Good job! And I LOVE the closing shot on the natspkg!

redcoat

How much time did you spend on the natspkg? Was it more time than on your original pkg?
I probably spent more than double the amount of time on the nats pkg. What took me the most time was relogging all the sound and reorganizing the sots to make sure that the piece made sense without the reporter's track. Adding in the extra nat sequences also took some time and care.

And I LOVE the closing shot on the natspkg!
Thanks! But I'll let you in on a little secret. That closing shot was really a cover-up of the fact that I irreparably overexposed that shot. When I was shooting the motorcycle sequence, I let the motorcycle come at me, leave frame, and then I spun around to shoot it leaving. I did a slow and shotty job adjusting the iris when going from the dark garage to the bright outdoors, so I ended up with a shot that had so little chroma information that it couldn't be adjusted to look natural. But I was so determined to use the shot as my closer that I took some inspiration from local harley shop commercials, made the shot black and white, crunched the shadows, and superimposed the neon harley sign over it. I think I was even more satisfied with the result than if I had gotten the shot right in the first place and used it.

NEWSSHOOTER3

Better here...

Yeah, I'd have to agree. I enjoyed the second piece more. But, I did not like the "composite" closing shot. I understand why you wouldn't have used the overexposed shot, and I'd much rather have the "negative" shot, but not the "composite". It felt kinda cheap, compared to the rest of the piece.

I really enjoyed the flow, shot variety, and the fact that you reset the interviews.

Nice job taking the time to reproduce it your way...

redcoat

I understand why you wouldn't have used the overexposed shot, and I'd much rather have the "negative" shot, but not the "composite". It felt kinda cheap, compared to the rest of the piece.
Since the last two shots were sequenced, I didn't feel there was enough motivation to have the second shot be black and white while the first shot was normal. I felt the more blatantly stylistic character of the composite justified altering the second shot and making it black and white. Although, overall, whether or not the composite worked, I wish I had gotten the shot right in the first place and kept it in sync with the style of the rest of the piece. Thanks for you thoughts!