'Refinishing' of camera

Hi everyone,

I'm proudly cleaning and customizing my newly arrived HDW-F900/3. The body is in great shape, but the carry handle is scuffed up and worn. I'm interested in applying a 'finish coat' of something that would match Sony's original generic gray coat.

Has anyone ever experimented with paints or other coatings? I'm thinking that it would be too hazardous to apply any spray-based paint, but that perhaps applying very thin coats with a moist cloth might work.

The trick is to approach this in a way that the results are an improvement, instead of drawing even more attention to the missing finish!

Grant.

Run&Gun

If you're looking to make the handle "grippier" and feel better, then I suggest tennis racket type grip tape. I can't claim the idea as my own, but I have been using it for years and I found some that I really like that isn't adhesive backed so it doesn't leave "tape" all over the handle if you take it off or re-cover it.

There are countless types out there, but the type that I like now and use on my VariCam and P2 Vari is Slazenger Sport Overgrip. It usually comes in a 3-pack wound up as one big roll. One piece/strand covers an entire handle. I start at the back of the handle and wrap towards the front and one thin piece of gaffe tape holds it. Depending on how much you use your cam, you should expect at least 6 months to a year out of it. Not only do you gain traction on the top of the handle(not just the bottom), but most types are sweat absorbent to an extent so you are less likely to have the camera slip when you're carrying it by the handle and your hands are sweaty.

f11vid

PRO user
Is the handle removable? Perhaps an automotive paint shop or machine shop could re-coat it.