PD150's 4 free

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just had two clients in a row who expect me to provide a PD150 for free as part of the standard camera/lights/tripod/sound package. I got of the phone wanting to ask if they wanted fries with that. Their argument was all along the lines of that they just wanted something for the producer to play with and keep him happy, not much of it would be useable so not really worth paying for. I don’t know about you but this is just wrong to me. For some clients if the PD150 is in the car and not being used I’ll offer it up and let it slide but it is not there for them as a normal part of the kit. If they want it they should pay for it.

Hiding Under Here

Tell them you don't have one. Or that it's not working correctly. If they really need one you can rent it and pass the cost on to them. Without informing them, yours can suddenly materialize or be repaired and substitute for the rental. Then you charge them for it.

quicklad

If they *ask* for it - they pay for it. That's true for all gear unless it's already in my package price.

I might give them a break on the rental, but it won't be free.

The cameras cost $3-3.5k and they want it "thrown in"?

I like the other posters idea of saying it is not available - if they're willing to sub rent it - it means they should have been paying you in the first place.

good luck,
Eric

Baltimore Shooter

Yeah, give him one that's broken, chews tape, bad lens, etc. When they're mad that it didn't work right, they'll say that either the producer doesn't know how to shoot (which he most likely doesn't anyway) or ask why it doesn't work right. Then you can say "you got what you paid for".

Warren

I have another 1 chip mini DV that I use the LCD screen for a monitor when a proper monitor would get in the way so I offered them that for free, as it would not really be used and they were happy with that.

Todio

NO FREEBIES!

My rate card states quite specifically what's included in my kit and what extras are available at an extra price. Eg. extra wireless microphones are $100 each per day all other equipment rentals are actual rental cost + 10% Period.

Where will it end? Will they ask you to 'throw in' that other betacam you have in the truck because "Hey, it's just sitting there doing nothing..."

Deaf and Blind

Todio,

It's the same here for sound guys, there is a minimum rig which is part and parcle of a booking & everything else comes with a $ value attached.
It's a case of you pay or you don't get it, end of story. Only because the sound guys here got together over a lot of beers & thrashed out an informal minimum standard of equipment which everyone has stuck to which has made it work.

Now if only we could get camera guys to do the same, although client pressure on them is quite different and sadly there are too many out there who will undercut & do such things to get the work which in effect undermines the others who try to stick to certain levels of equipment as booked for a shoot.

So I am not getting up you camera guys out there it's just an observation that's all. Plus one I hear as the most common whinge from camera guys.

But in my former life in the air freight / air courier industry so many clients want it done for free it's enough to make you want to puke. Rather like when we lost a courier, work colleauges, friends, clients on Pan AM 103 initally all that lost freight were ok, then the scum started rising from the depths making un-warrented claims for things which through our records we found were total lies. Even more so when we got the remains of the freight back, which was very moving, emotionally a bit of a roller-coaster.
Some days it's enough to bring you to tears, the depths which some will sink to in an effort to screw that last drop out of you. Guess that's why I say Fu*k off a lot to people these days.

That's the beer talking, time to go.

Baltimore Shooter

Originally posted by Deaf and Blind:
...Only because the sound guys here got together over a lot of beers & thrashed out an informal minimum standard of equipment which everyone has stuck to which has made it work...

...Now if only we could get camera guys to do the same...
EXACTLY! I've been saying that for a long, long time.

...sadly there are too many out there who will undercut & do such things to get the work which in effect undermines the others who try to stick to certain levels of equipment as booked for a shoot...
You don't see this in other industries. Still photogs stick to their rates and it works. That's why they make more money than we do. When was the last time you heard an attorney say "How much are you paying?. Well, my regular rate is $xx/hr,but I need the work, so okay, I'll do it for the lower amount". Answer: NEVER!

I don't know about your state, but here in Maryland, a law exists that states a competing gas station in the same neighborhood can't sell gas for a much lower price.

Sure, they can be within a few cents of each other, but one can't undercut another.

Now if we could only get this law to cover media people we'd be in great shape.

Warren

Status
Not open for further replies.