Officer pulls over ambulance on call

AlexLucas

So you think we have it bad when an officer redlines on a stop, check out this story:

The long and short of it is there is a person being transported, and a state trooper pulls over an ambulance team on a patient run, and then arrests the crew chief for bad behavior because he's defending his driver taking a patient to the hospital.

Simply, wow.

http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=10537820

SeattleShooter

I understand why the cop pulled him over. The ambulance had no lights on at the time and the cop was on a call with lights on. The cop did not know they were taking a person to get treated. But the problem is when the cop did not let them go as soon as he saw they were taking a person to get treatment. That's my thoughts.

AlexLucas

As far as I understand, it's pretty standard practice for ambulances to run without lights on when they have serious, but non-critical patients aboard, not to disturb the outside world too much, or cause accidents.

Did you see the video?
I think the contention of this story is with his behavior with the ambulance crew.
He arrested the crew chief of the ambulance while they were taking a patient to hospital... while he was responding to a backup call... which he abandoned over what he called an obscene gesture by an ambulance driver.

Chicago Dog

I definitely disagree with the cop's actions. He was a hothead, and there's no need for that at an emergency situation.

However, the second EMT didn't help things by constantly jumping out of the back of the ambulance. If the patient is in that bad a shape, let the driver deal with what's going on. Hell, the supposed instigator of the entire situation had the coolest head there!

Why did the driver pull over in the first place? Why not just use his radio to contact the state police and inform them as to what's going on? I seriously doubt the cop's going to pull a PIT maneuver on an ambulance going to the hospital.

Deal with it after the patient's where she needed to be. Poor judgement all around.

Horonto

After an investigation the officer will be found to have done nothing wrong and returned to duty. The department will say that they will reevaluate procedures and that this review has nothing to do with the officer blowing a gasket at the ambulance. I'm surprise the police department released the video or that it wasn't accidentally erased.

Wheatstone Bridge

Killing an ant with a sledge hammer

The Cop made a big fuss about nothing ! ! ! The road was completely clear ahead , there was no oncoming traffic ahead and he ( the cop ) overtook the ambulance without endangering oncoming traffic. So what was the fuss all about ?

Freddie Mercury

The new element is the dashboard video. This story is over 3 weeks old, and I'm not sure why I keep seeing it on newscasts being presented like it just happened and that I didn't already see the video long ago.

There is only one reason I can think of that the cop decided to stop the ambulance rather than continue on his call. His pride was threatened. He wasn't gonna let that so-and-so do that to HIM. That's the major flaw with the police: They are human, and humans have major flaws.

Chicago Dog

He is the supervisor. I think he thought he was doing the right thing, stepping in for the driver.
That's what kicks my ass. After he identified himself as the supervisor, he should've said, "We're transporting a patient. Follow us, and we'll address the situation after we get our patient some help."

Instead, all he said was, "We're transporting a patient." The trooper saw that as an excuse rather than a situation in which time was of the essence. Hell, it's a dialogue that could've happened over the two-ways.

As poorly as the trooper handled the situation, the "supervisor" came in a close second in the Blame Game.