New to video

This is my first post.

I'm new to the the world of video since I've been shooting only since February 2008 for the company website. I received only minimal video and Final Cut Pro instruction, probably not much more than an hour total. BTW, I was a full-time still photographer.

I love to learn new things so please let me know what you think. Also, how can I get better?

I'll post on a regular basis starting with some of my early videos.

http://videos.cleveland.com/plain-dealer/2008/04/the_lego_olympiad.html

http://videos.cleveland.com/plain-dealer/2008/04/st_ignatius_circus_company.html

Thanks in advance.

Latin Lens

So we call these types of stories natpkgs....your relying solely on the natural sound and interviews you gather without a reporter track. You need to get better nat sound of the action to use....shorten your shots they are too long at times....or bring the audio in way sooner....I don't really know whats going on or whats being talked about until 30secs in.

I can tell your scared to get tight shots....but go get them...cover your butt but try and get them....tight shot of lego being snapped on....juggler's hand catching the pins....you need that stuff to help you.

You have a good eye....shadow on the ground of the jugglers was cool...don't play it out by using it over and over and over again. Hide the mic cords no matter what....its more professional.

sixtycyclehum

Nice Job

I can tell you're a still photog...you've got great composition on every shot. You're not afraid to get close to the action either as seen with the great shots at the Lego tournament.

I'm not sure how to critique your work as what you're doing is a little different than what's seen on TV...so I guess I'll apply TV "rules" to what your doing on the web:

On Interviews:

Your sound bites seem VERY scripted. Almost like they wrote down what the were going to say ahead of time. They don't sound very conversational and almost a little disingenuous at times. It's almost like they're acting instead of talking, in my opinion. 'Having them look straight at the camera doesn't help that either. It gives it that 'wedding video' type of feel to me. You've got some head-room issues as well with the top halves of their heads cut off at times. I second hiding the mic cable. Also get them away from walls and get some depth behind the interviewee.

On Shooting:

Like I said...great composition. Remember WALLDO.

Wide, Medium, Tight
Angled (canted or dutch, find natural vertixes)
Low (take camera off sticks and get ground shots)
Linking (cutaways, transitional shots)
Depth (don't shoot interviews against a wall)
Opposite (shoot from the other side of the axis, but don't cross it.)

On Editing:

You've got some jump-cuts in your stories. This is when we you break continuity by placing shots of a subject in one place and then in another without a transitional shot or cutaway. So we see the kid juggling balls then cut to him talking in front of a brick wall then cut to him juggling cigar boxes...it's a little jarring. Now I thought you used jump-cuts effectively in the cigar box sequence to show it took him several times to finally do the leg-catch trick but as a general rule of thumb...no jump cuts. Also like Latin Lens said, your shots are a little too long.

'Really not bad for being new to video, though. Keep up the good work>

NEWSSHOOTER3

Thanks for playing...

FIRST LINK:

That piece should have been HALF that long. I thought I was looking at home video before I finally heard sound :30 in. Not enough for me to make it through all 120 seconds...

However, your early shooting skills show promise... :)

Your responses are very informative. When I link some of my most recent videos, you'll see a few of the improvements you described like the tighter shots. The two videos I posted are from April.

I'll keep an eye out to avoid cutting heads. It's something that I did when I was shooting stills.

I'll tell you that the audio and editing are the most challenging aspects of the video experience. It's a struggle at times.

I'll try harder to hide the mic cords. How do I keep from making the subjects uncomfortable.... asking them to put the wire under their clothes?

Even though I'm shooting for a website, I would guess that the TV rules apply in most cases.

Would you please explain how to do cutaways and transitional shots?

I really appreciate the feedback. I will put it to good use.

NEWSSHOOTER3

Anything

Shoot ANYTHING that is a part, moving or not, that might buy you 1 second in editing time... = CUT... AWAY...

Advanced cut away = CHANGE ANGLES...

Pro Angle = Angle Change + shot size change... :)

Latin Lens

Your responses are very informative. When I link some of my most recent videos, you'll see a few of the improvements you described like the tighter shots. The two videos I posted are from April.

I'll keep an eye out to avoid cutting heads. It's something that I did when I was shooting stills.

I'll tell you that the audio and editing are the most challenging aspects of the video experience. It's a struggle at times.

I'll try harder to hide the mic cords. How do I keep from making the subjects uncomfortable.... asking them to put the wire under their clothes?

Even though I'm shooting for a website, I would guess that the TV rules apply in most cases.

I really appreciate the feedback. I will put it to good use.
Hiding mic cords.....simply ask....your personality should be your best friend when doing these things....your attitude will take you far if you let it and it could get you better shots and audio during interviews. People will respond to you....if you act like you've been there your subjects will follow your lead.

Photogblake

yeh i thought it was a little long and the 1st interview threw me off a bit. Bring some sort of sound in a little fast than 30 secs in. But i can tell from how the shots where set up that your a still photog. However this is a good place to learn from advise.

nguyen.jason

"How do I keep from making the subjects uncomfortable.... asking them to put the wire under their clothes?"
Have them put it under from the start and just start bsing with them. After the first couple of quick topics are in the air then start the interview. Your interviewie will never know the difference and he/she will be more relaxed because they won't feel you are rolling. Plus I always turn off my front record light. People see that thing and freak out. I'm glad to see a Clevelander post stuff on here. GO BROWNS!!!