Media in the movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

<movies>

:eek: :eek:
That is crazy!

I watched "The day after tomorrow" which just came out on DVD and enjoyed watching the news crews drive down the street in their live truck beaming back pictures magically. No mast no dish. It's magic! Movie's are suppost to be fun :D

I

<it can be done>

you can send back video to the station in you are runing an omny with a digital signal. I have done it be for.

Shaky & Blue

Originally posted by <movies>:
I watched "The day after tomorrow" which just came out on DVD and enjoyed watching the news crews drive down the street in their live truck beaming back pictures magically. No mast no dish. It's magic!
No, it's COFDM. A station in my last local market had one and used it to do a rolling live shot showing road conditions after a snowstorm. No mast, but it doesn't have the same power as a conventional microwave. My current employer uses COFDM backpacks to get live pictures from the middle of protests with no cables.

J

<JeffSpicoli>

Why is it that in the Movies/TV...all of the photogos & editors are portrayed as slobs/losers/paparazzi types? You know: Fat, overweight, whiny, skinny, geeky.

Just check out ANY movie where there's a media shot.

aussie

I saw an episode of local drama series years ago that had a TV crew with a split system . The problem being there was no cable between the camera and recorder .

Sportsguy

Ever notice how the "photogs" in the movies hold the cameras? Usually it's by the top handle and the lens...

Wouldn't SOMEBODY on set know that it looks all wrong?

Terry E. Toller

the still looks like a short to medium telephoto shot which would compress the distance between near and far. Could those lines be closer to the camera than the truck? Was the mast being raised in the film? did it hit the wire?

COFDM is an amazing invention! If you have a couple of good receive sites it is instant LIVE! But from what I understand it is about four times the cost of microwave at around $50,000!

[ October 17, 2004, 12:30 AM: Message edited by: Terry E. Toller ]

TightShot

When I started shooting, I began noticing the numerous photog-ops in movies and on tv. 98% of the time, they appear to be airing a live shot without a raised mast, or dish, of any kind, the photogs hold their cameras strangely, no one ever spells their name in an interview, and most of the time, when shooting, the photogs are staring into their camera with one eye while the other eye is squeezed shut, which we all know isn't supposed to happen, lest you get run over, shot, somehow taken out by what you are staring at on your little BnW screen because you weren't paying attention to the world around you. Also, live vans are able to start up and take off without difficulty, even in extremely close proximity to a fire, which denies physics.
You'd think there would be some type of technical advisor for this kind of stuff.

andypoms

Originally posted by Terry E. Toller:
the still looks like a short to medium telephoto shot which would compress the distance between near and far. Could those lines be closer to the camera than the truck? Was the mast being raised in the film? did it hit the wire?
I was thinking the same thing... If you look at the front of the WGN Truck (the hood on the right) it looks like the pole with the wires is on the near sidewalk.

Chicago Dog

Originally posted by <movies>:
:eek: :eek:
That is crazy!

I watched "The day after tomorrow" which just came out on DVD and enjoyed watching the news crews drive down the street in their live truck beaming back pictures magically. No mast no dish. It's magic! Movie's are suppost to be fun :D
I saw that last night! We found two parts especially funny. First, the part with the reporter standing there, befuddled, saying, "And behind me -- that's a tornado!"

That, and the reporter taking a surf on that giant piece of what looked like roof debris sailing across the highway.

Afterwards, I surprised myself in thinking, "Wow. I can actually see that happening."

dawgpound

In "Runaway Jury", they pull the "sequestered" jury up to the front of the court house and all the media is standing there taking pics and has their mics out yelling for a comment on thew case. Believable don't 'cha think! :D

Scannerhound

Originally posted by fmrIntern:
quote: Originally posted by Terry E. Toller:
I was thinking the same thing... If you look at the front of the WGN Truck (the hood on the right) it looks like the pole with the wires is on the near sidewalk.
It does look that way, but if you will look at where the lines would connect at the top of that pole, you will see that they continue their downward angle. If they were attached to that pole, they would angle back up on the side closest to the truck and then back down on the other side of the pole.

Run&Gun

Speaking of "The Day After Tomorrow", how many times have you seen a helicopter flying in a tornado?

S

<Sprite>

LOL!!!

Let's not forget all the choppers flying in volcanic ash...
And reporters yelling into their microphones, held incorrectly...

soonershooter

The worst of all time though HAS to be "Up Close and Personal."

Wireless live shots from INSIDE a prison during a riot?

And Michelle Pfeiffer is NOT sexually assaulted WHILE IN THE MIDDLE OF A PRISON RIOT?

Yeah, I know it was from a few years ago, but it still bugs me.

Lenslinger

Not only was 'Up Close and Personal' a horrible movie technically (though admittedly I've never seen it) from what I understand it is the warm and gauzy Hollywood-ization of 'Almost Golden: Jessica Savitch and the Selling of Television News', a book I'd recommend to anyone interested in TV news and unlikable anchors:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0380707527/ref=pd_sim_books_1/103-6330773-2449445?v=glance&s=books

That the Hollywood machine could take this real-life fascinating tragedy and transform it into such overblown tripe is one of the many reasons I skip nine out of ten movies. I just cannot stomach the contrived pablum that passes for mass entertainment these days. Don't even get me started on what those bastards did to my beloved 'Cold Mountain'.

[ October 18, 2004, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: Lenslinger ]

MightySlam

My favorite is "Bruce Almighty."

Going live from the deck of the Maid of the Mist while it is just below Niagara Falls? That's one hell of a cable run.

Field producers and soundguys in Buffalo? Riiiiiight.

Reporters begging to go live during sweeps? Most of the reporters I know don't want to go live *anytime,* let alone sweeps.

Find Jimmy Hoffa's body? Just give a kid a handycam and your video will looks as good as a 20 year veteran w/ a Betacam.

Do these Hollywood hacks do ANY research before they write these things?

Tippster

The Fly on the Wall
Heh. Jessica Savitch...
"She had a nut streak in her, but she also had some kind of energy force behind her eyes.----It was like she put on her little custom suit, shot a beam across the room, and zapped you.". That was the way a former co-worker described Jessica Savitch's famous persona which captivated network news viewers in the late 70's and early 80's. She was a tough broad who had worked her ass off to reach the top of the heap and become was an undisputed TV news superstar. Like many superstars, however, she also developed a reputation as a fame-hungry, drug-addled hellcat, which makes her story just that much more compelling.

F

<FishEye>

True Lies.... "left handed" camera that the shooter/cop pulls a gun out of.

Status
Not open for further replies.