"Mackin' on Chicks"... a Question of Ethics

Cletus918

As we all know, a photog's job will lead them to many new places for many stories "From the weird and the wack, to the tottaly abstract". In the process we meet new people.

I, as a 22 year-old swingin' bachelor, have met quite a few nice young ladies while out on shoots... I know, and understand the reporter is on a deadline, so I don't take time to really talk to them... I do the shoot to get it done, but they're obviously interested in me or my job. I acknowledge them enough to answer couple basic questions like "did you shoot that accident on Highway 14 last night?"

Is it wrong to (in passing/parting) to ask them out for a drink, or give them my number? I'm on company time, therefore I should be working, not flirting with people involved in the specific story, but at the same time, what we do is interesting enough to be a perfect icebreaker to meet someone... if only to make a few friends.

I've been thinking... I should give them a business card (if I ever get them) that way its something quick, and easy.

amp

ASK THEM OUT!! I seriously doubt that your company has a "don't work and mack at the same time" policy.

As long as you get your job done, and don't embarass your station, go for it. Life is too short to not act!!

Jonathan

Everyone knows you are not paid enough to work all the time as a photog. Just make a good impression so you will give all us other photogs a good name

Run 'n' Get 'em

Just don't miss slot b/c you're out back on the cell talking to your new girl...

And leave a good reputation for the rest of us :D

A/B roll

I'm not trying to be a c*** block but I'm not sure it's a good idea to date/do people you do stories on.It seems like a conflict of intrest. Of course if they're just bystanders not affiliated with your story go for it I guess.

I've learned to hard way; handing out business cards probably not a good idea. You never know who know's who and what can bite you in the arss. TeeVee is high profile and people have a lot of unreasonable expectations of tv folk.

amp

A/BRoll, if you are hitting on the chick at the center of a homicide investigation, I'd agree with you. But, if you are shooting video and a hottie walks up to you and asks you about your cool job, TALK TO HER!! Sometimes, fate is just standing next to you on the sidewalk. Just don't neglect your job to hit on the girl. Are you telling me that if you are single, and a fine looking woman is talking to you you are going to say,"Sorry, I am working." No.

...and hitting on the interns is a "fridge" benefit! ;)

lake4

"Swingin-bachelor"

As we all know, a photog's job will lead them to many new places for many stories "From the weird and the wack, to the tottaly abstract". In the process we meet new people.

I, as a 22 year-old swingin' bachelor, have met quite a few nice young ladies while out on shoots... I know, and understand the reporter is on a deadline, so I don't take time to really talk to them... I do the shoot to get it done, but they're obviously interested in me or my job. I acknowledge them enough to answer couple basic questions like "did you shoot that accident on Highway 14 last night?"

Is it wrong to (in passing/parting) to ask them out for a drink, or give them my number? I'm on company time, therefore I should be working, not flirting with people involved in the specific story, but at the same time, what we do is interesting enough to be a perfect icebreaker to meet someone... if only to make a few friends.

I've been thinking... I should give them a business card (if I ever get them) that way its something quick, and easy.

Just keep referring to yourself as a "swingin-bachelor...." that should keep you out of trouble unless you work in San Francisco.

A/B roll

amp, I advised not to do people you're covering. Hottie bystanders are fine but I don't advise giving them a business card. If it sours, they know how to screw you over.

Grip

as long as you don't get it in their hair

why not.

I think the three best times are when you cover;
1. a good car ax, find one that is trapped and waiting for the jaws of life, this will give you plenty of time to work that swinging mack.
2. When shooting a good perp walk look around, look for the soon to be lonely old lady of the dude that is getting locked up.
3. Now this one is sure fire, when you get sent to cover some old bag turning 100 years old, look through the TV room for some hot G.M.I.L.F. action. If they are packing that polydent action or wearing victoria secret Depends....... start pithing those swinging lines.

Lil' Photog

Use Common Sense

I've dated two girls I met while on the clock.

Both of them I initially met while doing stuff for sports.

One of them played on a team I was covering at the time and was interested in the TV business. It started out as a friendship thing and moved on from there.

In a similar situation, I was covering some state volleyball match and I knew a guy who did video work for one of the schools I wasn't covering. When I was talking with him in between games he introduced me to a coach for this team who was a few years older than I was. I ran into her a few months later and we started dating.

If you think about it, we meet a lot of random people all the time. We don't even needed to be covering them specifically to meet them.

Think of all the receptionists you have to talk to, or maybe a teacher at some school you are shooting a random event at. How often do you ask someone "where is (contact)'s office at?"

Throwing "game" is one thing. Talking to and meeting new people is another. Don't do anything to embarrass yourself or your station. Think before you act. It's not difficult.

Icarus112277

Hit it for all its worth...
One nighters are a definite side benfit to this line of work...all girls seem to think its cool to work in tv