interns

zonatog

it's the summer season and time to have lots of interns at your station......of course a lot of these interns are reporter/anchor wannabes but at our station I was surprised to find out a few of our interns want to become a photographer, male and female interns as well. So I'm curious about the interns at your station. If they want to become a photographer? For example....one of the interns went with me and he had his own personal cam and shot his own b-roll while I shooting. I was impressed with that!

Run&Gun

When I did my internship 14 years ago, I was the first and only(and still to this day) photog intern at the station. I did my internship at the perfect time, the summer of the '96 Olympics and they sent half the station down to Atlanta to cover it. Because they were short handed, I was allowed to take station gear out by myself to shoot news and sports. Hell, I was going out with some reporters and turning packages, too. I remember one story, immediately after airing, the news director came out of his office into the newsroom and asked who shot that story, and someone replied, "The intern". I was out doing a LS at the time, but when I came back in, I got a good pat on the back. Being a 19 year old intern and trying to break in any way I could, I couldn't have been happier unless he had offered me a job. Sadly, I've been told that I was also the last intern allowed to pick up a station camera there. It was the best thing that I ever did for my career. They literally had to kick me out at the end of my internship. It's the best learning experience I could have ever had at the time. College is a joke when it comes to TV, but unfortunately, it's about the only way to get an internship in a TV station.

Last edited:

newsshooter

Most all of our interns have big hopes and dreams to be anchors and start in the top 20 markets. We get to show them reality. These days though with the right news director it's not so crazy to start in the top 20 markets as an MMJ. I haven't seen any intern photogs. ever. They all want to make big money and be TV news stars. One of our interns wants to be a producer which is cool. The rest want to start at the top.

servo

I had an intern once that wanted to be a photog. He did a lot of the vo/sots I was assigned. Now, ten years later, he is the Assist. Chief at the #1 station in a top ten market. He even gave me some work when I needed it. Pretty cool.

grinner

Initiative is what internships are all about. Either they want to move onward and upward or they don't.
I don't use interns much but the times that I have, of course it's been a test. Those who show they want to work get to on the clock. Those who do nothing get thanked and sent home.
back in the day, I looked at each of my jobs not as internships, even though they paid less than 20 grand a year, but as opportunity. I needed my foot in the door so I could work in the field I wanted to. There was no way I was gonna waste that opportunity. Doing above and beyond really is how ya move above and beyond.

Chicago Dog

College is a joke when it comes to TV, but unfortunately, it's about the only way to get an internship in a TV station.
I disagree. Depending on what you hope to cover as a journalist, college is not a joke.

I'll amend your belief by saying that it's not a good idea to concentrate on journalism as a major. It's a much better idea to minor in journalism. There's so much useful information in other courses you'd be better off studying: political science, economics, business -- you name it.

Even if you're looking into the more technical aspects of news gathering, the right college can prepare you for what's in the field. I graduated from a university that had better field gear and editing equipment than the first two stations I worked at.

The wrong college, though, will leave you believing your time and money were wasted on hours of meaningless banter stuck in the same classroom as the future-useless public relations students.

These days though with the right news director it's not so crazy to start in the top 20 markets as an MMJ.
"Top 20" means nothing when you're working for a last-place dump and making the same salary as someone in Market 210.

In which case, you're working for the wrong news director.

There's more to respond to, but I just don't feel like getting into the whole "Traditional vs. OMB" crap again.

Run&Gun

CD, let me clarify, I meant more along the lines of what you will be taught about TV in college vs. what you will learn in a TV station or the real world(at least in my case) is a joke. Maybe my viewpoint is slightly skewed because I did my internship so early on, that nothing else in school was going to compare(or did, for that matter). And to go along with what you said, I know a LOT of people in TV who's majors/degrees are not TV related. It's like they say, nothing beats real world experience, we're all living proof of that.

Chicago Dog

CD, let me clarify, I meant more along the lines of what you will be taught about TV in college vs. what you will learn in a TV station or the real world(at least in my case) is a joke.
Thanks for the clarification. That makes much more sense. In fact, I hold that same belief.

To be fair, there's some good schools that put forth worthwhile efforts into educating students as to what they can expect in the real world.

I had a professor in college that put an insane amount of work into education. As long as you were able to put up with his Dr. Cox antics, he'd do everything in his power to make sure you had a job ready when you walked across the stage and picked up your diploma.

This profession needs more people like that. The fact that some of these idiot interns think they're going to be anchoring an entertainment show in Los Angeles mere weeks after graduation says something about the state of educators.

Tv Shooter

Just had a college grad from the SCAD school in Savannah work as a grip on a shoot a few weeks ago. When I told him to put a sandbag on a lightstand, he immediately walked over to the light and picked up the dimmer, holding it in his hand.

"Uh...sandbag the lightstand..not adjust the dimmer (long silence with zero movement)...bag full of sand...put on stand...(another silence accompanied by blank stare)...do you know what a sandbag looks like? "Yes". Well does it look like what you have in your hand? "No". Then put what you have in your hand down, and put what looks like a sandbag in it, then put that sandbag on the long round thing with three legs at the bottom and a light on top that is right in front of you.

Several more incidents like that.

I asked him later, after a much longer day than should have been, if he had paid to learn TV and film at that school....he said yes, it's very expensive...to which I replied (and I know it was a sh***y thing to say but I was quite frustrated)..."well you should ask for your money back".

Apparently SCAD never did any shoots with field lighting. He was hired because he has a friend that knew the producer, who kept asking if he was doing a good job and why we were falling behind schedule..."well, no he knows absolutely nothing and we're running behind because you hired him instead of the usual guy that knows this stuff. but hey, you saved $150 bucks on the PA....and spending it on me, in overtime."

The kid told me later he learned more about real production in 13 hours than he did in a whole semester at school.

And yes, he came back for the second day of shooting, even though I was given the choice of replacing him. I should have billed for tuition though. :)

photoguy603

I never did an internship...but i went to an EXCELLENT news/television production school. I started editing in my first class freshman year and jr. and senior year were spent at the college news station doing day of stories...our station is seen by just under 10,000 house holds in the surrounding communities and we did a sweeps period where we would gather info from views and that how we'd get graded. We were all dvcpro at the time editing on Avid Newscutter...I graduated in '05 and since I've been out I've only seen 1 photog intern but I have seen a few that want to be producers or understand if they want to be a reporter they'd have to go to the middle of nowhere...which is refreshing

Icarus112277

I think it depends on where you go.
Some of the high schools around here have impressive tv production set-ups.
The college I graduated from 10 years ago had a few nice avid systems and the studios were used by networks and cable channels for shoots, who in turn supplied slightly used equipment.
The Profs were very demanding.
I didn't spend a lot of time there bc I was already working, but the people who did have done pretty well for themselves.

csusandman

Colorado State is where I went and it had a great student media program that, I think, helped me get to where I am today. At the student-run TV station, I did everything, except news director. Photog, editor, talent, director, audio, floor director, producer and so on. THAT's where I really learned how to shoot and edit. Nothing against the classroom and professors there (there were great as well) but you just can't beat the hands on experience.

I also did an internship with KCNC's NoBo with Gary Croshaw and Mike Hooker. We both had the same gear (DVCPro) and I was allowed to bring my gear on shoots and later re-cut their PKG's with my footage! After a while, they let me do their editing for their air and, sometimes, used a few of the shots that I would get!

Overall, I had a great college experience getting into my field. Given the chance, I would do it all the same way!

servo

Intern fell asleep in the car on a 2 hour drive yesterday...Dude was suppose to be there to keep me awake.

KFobe02

I attend Ball State University, and I am an intern at WSBT-TV in South Bend, Indiana and for the past 2 months I've been going out on my own everyday shooting stories/natpkg's and even got to do a liveshot.

The only reason I point that out, is because interns aren't always a bad thing to have around. I work my internship from 9-5 Monday thru Saturday and some sundays, and I love every minute of it. I get to take station gear (really expensive HD cams) in my own car and drive to the story they assign me. It's really a trusting, and worthwhile internship. I don't get paid a dime but I have learned so much. Most of the stories I have done are posted on here as well in critiques.

I'm sure I'm not very good compared to someone who's been doing it forever, but I try my best to take initiative and ask as many questions and just love every minute of this thing because it only lasts so long.

This is probably the best internship I've had so far.

Chicago Dog

Kyle, I admire your spirit and your enthusiasm. The business will take a step in the right direction when you're hired on as a staff member after graduation. The profession is already in better shape because of the attitude you've shown us in your post. What follows is not meant to quash your excitement.

I believe WSBT is taking advantage of you.

The fact that you shoot six or seven days a week tells me WSBT is getting something for nothing. While it's true you're getting experience, it's at the expense of someone else. In an economy like this, it's very possible that WSBT is screwing out-of-work photogs that need a paycheck by filling in an open spot with an unpaid intern.

As for using your personal car: taking station gear in your car -- especially "really expensive" gear -- is very dangerous. The gear is not insured in anything other than a company car.

If you're in an accident and the camera is broken, neither insurance company will accept a damage claim on the camera because it was never supposed to be transported in your car to begin with. You've got a very high chance of getting stuck with a fat repair bill.

Don't listen to anyone in that newsroom that tells you damaged gear will be taken care of or that they "do it all the time." The call is not theirs nor will they pay the bill you'll ultimately get stuck with. People at the station you've never seen will make whatever excuse they can to make sure the station doesn't have to pay for something they can pin on you instead. You've already got tuition expenses to worry about -- don't add thousands of dollars on top of that because of a broken HD camera.

I know how exhilarating it feels to finally get a taste of the professional world; I felt the exact same way you do now when I was just starting out. You're obviously an eager kid. I don't blame you for wanting to do well and get behind the lens as often as possible.

Be careful what you agree to when you work on your internship. Please ask us here at the forum if you've got any questions -- that's why we're here!