Hurricane Preps...protecting your gear

Chuck1906

Those of you on the east coast, what are you doing with your gear in preparation of the hurricane hitting the east coast? I forgot were I read this but I read if you put those hand warmer packs near your lens, it will prevent it from fogging up. I am not sure if that is true or not. I got my storm gear and boots all ready to go. I always have issues with condensation build up in the camera when covering storms so I am gonna pack a hair dryer thing that blows out hot air.

lost focus

Fogging

It's not the most secure but in storm events I try to keep my camera in the car or live truck to avoid the fogging that occurs when he camera goes from extremes from inside to out. That is for me usually the biggest fog issue. If your lens isn't sealed anymore your going to get fog at some point if you are out in weather all day. Hair dryer is helpfully for that, i have resorted to placing the camera near (but not directly in front of) the truck exhaust for desperate situations.

Good luck. Also I'd recommend a regular rain cover and a garbage bag over your camera.

fotofinish

A couple of things, rubber bands and sandwich bags. Keeps your mic, ifb and cellphones dry.

Canned air and a paintbrush to clean the sand off of your gear.

Rain X for your lens filter. But after repeated splashes of salt spray, lens cleaner and wipes.

cameragod

rubbing a potato on the lens works as well as Rain X... thats a freshly cut potato and not a bag of crisps :)

goodfoot

I use a large clear glad trash bag over the camera, cut a hole for the lens and tape it around the lens hood. The clear bag also comes in handy for laptops and transmission gear when you can't use a truck anymore (bgan, liveu)

zip log freezer bags are great for mics and cell phones.

Try to avoid taking the camera in and out of environments with different humidity. For shots outside, I will keep the camera in a protected area outside and won't bring it in and out of a car or building with ac or heat unless absolutely necessary.

I also have:

-A generator
-extra gas (for the genny or car since gas stations may lose power)
-a few day supply of food and water (if you're in a hotel, fill the bathtub before the storm hits so you have a reserve for washing or flushing the toilet)

fotofinish

When I covered Katrina, I took a case of Bourbon with me. Not for drinking, but for barter. ATM's weren't working, but I was able to trade a couple of bottles to fill up my truck with fuel. But for those of you up north, in the thick of it, stay safe and be smart.