How about fast paying clients

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nino

With all the talk lately about slow paying customers, what about the fast paying ones.

The company is Michael Hoff Production in CA. They produce the “I-Detective” show for Court TV. (I have never seen the show, but then again I don't have much time to sit in front of the TV). Apparently they were looking for someone to give their interviews the “ESPN Sport Century” look and someone gave them my name. Sorry Michael Rosenblum, plenty of what you refer to as “intrusive lights” and no PD150 or VJs here.

Extremely professional and pleasant people to work with. Karey, the producer, let our experience work to her advantage, in few words she told me what she needed and left us alone to do our things while she concentrated on her work. She also made sure that there was always plenty of water and snack for the crew and provided (and paid for) lunch on time.

The shoot was several days long and they even broken up their schedule to accommodate mine.

Sent out a hefty invoice last week and received the check yesterday.

Thank you Michael Hoff Productions.

BTW, this is just my latest of many good stories about good clients.

Here’s my opinion about slow and fast paying clients.
Back to business school. A business can only survive and succeed if it uses quality vendors and suppliers. In few words, if the subcontractors are lousy the business will suffer. And of course if a subcontractor turns out to be a lousy one or one that did not meet the client's needs and expectations, the client will not be in any hurry to keep it happy, or pay him on time.

We are subcontractors. If you meet or exceed the client’s needs and expectations, he/she will do everything possible to keep you happy, including paying your invoices on time (or faster). In few words, you, as the subcontractor play a crucial role in your client's business success.

Professionalism is also an important issue; not only for what goes into the camera but most important how you behave.
If the client has a negative impression on you as a person, no matter of how good of a shooter you are, he/she will scrutinize every bit of your work and inevitably will find something wrong. Something that BTW could legally void or diminish the power of any contract or agreement that the client has signed with you.
On the other hand, if the first impression as an individual is a positive one, the client will look at your work thru “pink glasses” and even small shortcoming will be overlooked.

These are things that they teach you in business school.

I can assure you that you will never hear any professional, myself included, saying phrases like this one by Baltimore Shooter.
Who do you have to screw at CNBC to get paid in a reasonable time???
You never know who's reading these posts.

Icarus112277

For the most part I agree. The only thing I would dispute is that there are some production companies which do not pay anyone on time. Sometimes this makes them a less desirable client, but I have a couple which take a long time to pay but my rate with them is so good (and I'm not dependent on their payment for any necessity) that I cannot turn down work with them.

Timely paying clients in my area are many. SLow paying clients are few but they do exist.

dhart

Learned a long time ago that 10% of your clients give you 90% of your problems. It's best to avoid that 10%, not really worth the headaches. Spend your download looking for better, nicer clients. You will live longer and have a more pleasant life :)

Flaca Productions

I just checked my invoicing software for a summary of payments. seems overall, i'm right at 45 days which is pretty good from where i sit. there are a couple that are VERY fast and one that is VERY slow. 45 days - i can live with that.

Baltimore Shooter

Well Nino, I said that half joking and half as pent up frustration because we seem to be allowing clients to pay in 60 days, which will become 90, then 120, then 180, next thing you know, the standard will be payment in 365 days.

What is interesting, was a program on Tech TV Sunday night called "Nerd Nation" about jobs going overseas. They focused on a call center in India in which the bill collectors worked for GE Capital. I have an equipment lease with GE Capital. GE Capital is owned by GE, who also owns guess who...NBC. GE Capital wants me to pay them in 30 days but NBC wants to pay in 60. How's that for irony?

But damn, were those Indian women hot! Hmmm...maybe I should hook up with one of them...hehehe
Warren

Status
Not open for further replies.