Got 8 minutes?

Anyone else find it strange that 8 minutes of video can determine the next 8 years of your life? Just looking for some constructive criticism from the way it is put together, to each story, even to get a better picture quality up on youtube. You don't have to get all that in depth either a simple thumbs up or down will do.

Last edited by a moderator:

AKinDC

I'm assuming that this is for a resume tape, and this is exactly how people would see it. With that in mind, here're some general comments:

1) Start and end with a slate with your name and contact info on it.
2) You need better PKG variety. The paper v. plastic story is general news lite, and rest are features. Got any spot news? Any in-depth?
3) Get rid of the raw video at the computer, the VO/SOT and all of the live shots. The raw and the VO/SOT shouldn't be on a tape at all unless you're applying for a first job, and the live shots aren't interesting enough to justify inclusion. I like the frozen window one, but it's really short and would seem a bit out of place unless paired with a few more creative stand-ups.
3) The PKGs you have there are fine, but you really need to show that you have interview lighting skills, and none of them demonstrate that.

NEWSSHOOTER3

Quick Notes

Just a few quick notes on the shooting:

* Almost NO use of "natural sound". I think you need to break some of this stuff up. I see a lot of "wallpaper".

* The "Online Raw"- If what you're trying to do is show two, or more, people chatting, you need more "left/right" facing shots. This example- Think of two people facing each other having a conversation... left/right. That's how we typically convey two sides interacting. (Hope that makes sense?)

* Be careful of "staging", i.e. the item in the bag on the grocery bag story. Cool shot, but I cannot see how you could not have staged that? However, if you incorporate that into a standup, using the reporter, that is much easier to swallow.

* I also saw too much use of your top light. Loose that! Don't be afraid to gain up. Gain is much less noticeable than blasting that toplight, creating "flat" images.

* Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing you are a younger shooter? Even if I'm wrong, keep it on the sticks more. Especially if this is one of your first resume tapes. You will learn when to be on and off, but I think you need to steady yourself before you learn to run... eventually finding your "Godpod".

* I thought the era of the "video toaster" was over until I saw your use of "jagged edge" wipes. Please, PLEASE, for the love of the craft, NEVER, EVER, use that effect again! :eek:

* Loose the live shots. I'm not sure what you were trying to illustrate, but they add nothing, to me. Others may disagree.

All-in-all, you have a firm grasp on what you are trying to do. These are just some thoughts that I had. So, please do not let this discourage you from what it is that you are trying to do! Most of all, remember that what we do is probably 90% "what's been done before" and 10% creativity. Use that 10% to make your mark... so I can learn from you! :)

Hang in there!

To clarify the Online cheating story raw video:

It was for sweeps piece about a "Online Detective" who would contact men to see if they would cheat on their significant others. Another photog shot the story and the piece turned out 80% two shot of the reporter and "Online Detective" at a laptop and 20% interview. I shot this video to represent the men who this detective was chatting with. I don't want to use the whole pkg because I didn't shoot the bulk of it, but I still like the video I shot.

Thanks for the input so far.

P.S. The live shots are coming off

NEWSSHOOTER3

Good

That's cool. As always, take what I, or anyone else, says with a grain of salt. At least you get feedback. I've taken the time to critique EVERY story here and still I get FAR less input than you, young buck!

Cheers... keep up the good work! :)

nguyen.jason

Man this was a lot of stuff to watch. My attention span started to ware out there for a bit. Out of everything I thought your first pkg was the best. I would have loved to hear more nats of the band. If they're going to Americas got talent lets hear the talent here and there with out the sound bites and the reporter track butted together. Your reporter probably wanted it that way but sometimes you just got to let it breathe. I'm finding that out myself. I really liked the stand up with the reporter punching the ice, it reminded me of when I lived in Toledo and scrapping that think layer of ice off. I don't miss that at all. The pizza pkg was good too, but there you let the nats go for too long. It just seems like you have to find that equilibrium with that. Keep up the hard work.

redcoat

A simple thumbs up or thumbs down doesn't help you, so I'm gonna go in depth. These are intended to be constructive critiques for your benefit. I am by no means looking down at you or insulting your abilities. We all have room to grow. Get ready, this is a long one!

**Do you also edit these stories? If so, I think you need to get a better feel for finding the pace of a story and matching that to how you edit and when you make cuts. Pacing is always an important element in editing, but it's especially important if music is a central part of the story. For example, you open the first story with an up beat jam that really moves, yet the opening shot is a 10 second pan that just kinda lingers and doesn't find any defined ending point. Whether or not you have a musical background you should learn to count along to the music, get a feel for its tempo, and let that drive when you make cuts. I would expect a slow 10 second pan to open a symphony ochestra, not a rock show. Kudos for trying to use camera movements and manual zooms to add energy to the piece, but those won't succeed unless you're also effectively using cuts and nat sound to convey the energy of the music.

**I think you also need to get a feel for how nat sound can help drive your story forward. A perfect example, at 0:16 you linger way too long on the shot starts on the guys face and zooms out. After the reporter says "national" you should have IMMEDIATELY cut to video/sound of the cheering crowd from America's got talent. This would have been a perfect transition to what the reporter was talking about. It also would have kept the pace moving by adding a relevant sound break between the reporter's track, rather than having that dead silent space. Even silence needs justification, and in this case there was none.

**Some of your nat breaks need to be more gradual. From 0:32 to 0:34 the music abruptly pops in and out. Use an audio dissolve or keyframes to gradually increase the volume of the music and then gradually fade it out. Also, be more selective with what nats you use. Make sure your audio corresponds well to your video. If you use a shot that's a closeup of the bass drum, I want to hear a part of the song that features that instrument; give me that thump thump thump. This nat break didn't offer that, instead it sounds like a mish mosh of noise. A closeup of the snare drum probably would have been more effective since loud snare accents stand out more.

**Think about varying the location for your interviews. Isolate what you're showing in the background to correspond to what defines each band member separately. Don't interview every member in front of the drums; only have the drums behind the drummer. Since you had lights, you could have gone into any other room, killed the rooms lights, and used your light kit to draw specific attention to one instrument in particular. You had the tools to feature each member and their instrument in a different way, so why not do it?

**Raise the lights to a higher angle so that shadows are cast down to the floor rather than directly behind your subject. You can also reduce shadows by diffusing and softening the light. Trying putting diffusion paper in front of the lights or if nothing else use an umbrella. I emphasize using an umbrella as a last resort because in order to get good at lighting you must learn to control where you do and do not want light to be. This is nearly impossible with an umbrella as it spills light everywhere. If available, a soft box with egg crate is ideal. It creates a perfect soft light that is easy to control.

**Think more about sequencing when you shoot. For example, get a wide shot of the guitarist, then cut into the action with a medium shot of his hands on the guitar, then get a closeup of his fingers on the frets. Or get a wide shot of the drummer, a medium of his hands playing, a closeup of his eyes concentrating or sweat pouring down his brow, then a closeup of a cymbal crash. Shoot with sequencing in mind and when you edit, organize your video so that it fits together and makes sense. Don't just cut randomly.

**Definitely cut the raw. Your best work should be the final product, where your video comes together to complete a whole that's bigger than the sum of its parts. You want to convey that you can tell a great story with video, not that you can put a red gelled light on a keyboard. Eventually I'm sure you'll be a part of a full story where you can employ this concept. Until then, I say let it go.

**I realize that the live standups deal with important topics like John McCain and VT, but I would expect to see those on a reporter tape rather than a photographer's. I don't think they highlight any particular noteworthy skills that you have. If you just put that you have ENG truck experience on your resume, I think that conveys what you're going for here.

Overall you've got a great start! Stick to your tripod more, work on pacing in your editing, work in nat sound, keep that creative flair, and continue to develop your tape with more and better stories. If you have any questions, or if I wasn't clear about something, feel free to ask.

Last edited: