General Critique on this Story?

http://www.whiotv.com/news/18044904/detail.html

I work weekends and odd shifts, and don't generally get to edit what I shoot. This week I got a chance and jumped, and this is what aired. I've been shooting on my own for around 7-8 months now, started totally green to news shooting, and trained with a veteran shooter, and now am working part time at WHIO-TV. Just looking for some general critique, what looked good, what didn't, etc.

I know it's not a big sweeps story, but I'm looking for ways to improve and enhance my abilities. This is the first job I've really loved, and I want it to pay off (not financially, but in terms of a career I enjoy). Thanks.

Latin Lens

Overall....not too bad. But you need to get more tight shots. Tight shots allow you to "move around" a scene, break your axis to get all the good stuff in.....tight shots with nat sound I feel make more of an impression so be on the look out for that. You did get nat sound but use it with a tight shot and see the differance.

Lose the pan(s)....I don't like movement in my shots personally and this should have been a straight cut...wide medium tight kinda piece.

Be aware of your intverview positions so it doesn't clash with your b-roll.....let the position make sense but don't overdo...."just put the truck behind them" because it will look weird at scenes that evolve as the day goes on and you do more interviews.

nguyen.jason

Thoughts from a guy in FL. First off Love Ohio, Dayton's a good town.
Did you have a better opening shot? It seemed to me that with the reporter saying "traffic has slowed to a crawl." I'd like to see a closer shot of them inching by. A couple of break lights or something. Where's the interstate sign at? I like seeing those just to match along with the reporter. Then the next shot is of a parked car on the side going the same way. A cut away of a driver approaching your camera might have been good before this shot. A tight shot of wrapping paper would have been good when she cued for that. Then a wider shot of the truck on its side. When she is talking about swerving and what not maybe a walking shot low near the tread marks would have been good here. Instead of a pan off the shoulder. When the guy is picking up the paper it kind of looks like the same shot you used before but without the guy. Try to stay away from to many pans and zooms (if that makes sense), and try working on the nats so there not so abrupt. I know its hard to do but your on your way to doing some good work. I used to work those odd hours up in Toledo, it sucks but its worth it in the long run. Keep it up.

NEWSSHOOTER3

Jar

Live shot to opening shot is, jarringly, the same.

Loose the zoom. Give me compelling tight shots.

Your pleasant photography was sponsored by the "long shot" depth of field.

There was no closing shot? Though, maybe due the day/night change?

Not bad man...