Fun Football Feature

NEWSSHOOTER3

Well Followed...

Umm... that... was... pretty sick! Nice job! I've been recently introducing music into some pieces and I thought it worked for you, too!

Beyond that, this is a competition level piece! :eek:

Baltimore's Finest Fotog

Thanks man! I am really happy with the final product. One of the most fun pieces I've done in awhile. In the interest of full disclosure, I did have some help shooting it...and major props to my wife for the writing (she's the reporter). But I just went to town in the edit bay. Before I sat down I was telling myself I wanted to build up an "NFL Films" kind of feel and bury the PeeWee Football thing at least until it got through that little open. I don't often get to use music in my pieces either, but I really felt like the music made this piece. Once I found the right music...it was all downhill! Without it, I think it would've been just average. But having that music really helped with the pacing and, I think, added a level of entertainment to it.

Thanks again for the feedback.

phojorisin

That was great! Definitely outside the box editing and writing! I think the music worked really well, as you said, but the key in my mind was having the mic on a few of the players while they played. Gave you those great HIT nats that brought the viewer into the story.

Awesome job. oh yeah, and as loyal Detroit Lions fan...I sympathize with that kid who wants to be like Barry Sanders...it sure FEELS like it's been 130 years since we've had a decent team!

Latin Lens

Dude....a real different approach to the story. It was great effects and great editing....that music made the piece. The only thing I would have added was a hardcore prep speech nats from of the coaches to add the impact that he was talking to adults but its really kids....I really love those kinds of hooks. Great overall job.

SamG

The music worked. I didn't notice it... that's a good thing. I thought the negative effects at the beginning and the "lens" effect throughout the piece were distracting. I like the idea of "hiding" that it's pop-warner. The nat sound was great... did you mic one of the players?

You did a great job of telling the story, but in my opinion the special effects (NOT the music) took away from the story.

My .02

Baltimore's Finest Fotog

The music worked. I didn't notice it... that's a good thing. I thought the negative effects at the beginning and the "lens" effect throughout the piece were distracting. I like the idea of "hiding" that it's pop-warner. The nat sound was great... did you mic one of the players?

You did a great job of telling the story, but in my opinion the special effects (NOT the music) took away from the story.

My .02
The main reason I used the color effects at the beginning was to stylize the video and give it a more "professional" feel - as I said I was going for an "NFL Films" feel off the top. There was no "lens" effect. That is my wide angle lens. It is much more visible on web video. On television, it only just barely enters the screen at the corners. And yes, I had one of the players mic'd.

Thanks for taking a look.

Go Daddy

Gimmicky.

My .02
Story had a lot of potential but the "stylizing," and the wide angle snoot was distracting. Good local tv piece.

Baltimore's Finest Fotog

Just curious, how did you safely mic the player up? And what kind of mic did you use?
Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. I clipped the lav mic to the drawstring in the front of the shoulder pads to pick up audio. I also clipped the belt pack to the back of the pads where there is a hard flat surface that bridges the gap between the two shoulder pads. I didn't want to risk clipping the belt pack to the waistline and having one of the kids fall on their back and end up getting hurt.

As for the mic, we use Lectrosonics M187s [VHF]. I was a little disappointed with the lack of range with the mic on this shoot. I thought it would do better. But, I am told it's because it's VHF vs. UHF. Having used a Lectro UHF model, I can attest that they have tremendous range.

nparsons

Agreed. But I would say the music worked great for the beginning and the end. The middle? Not so much. Its football, let those nat sounds ride baby.

Still I got a chuckle from watching this.