Filming at a firing range?

I am interested in hearing from you, if you have experience at this type of work. I film next week for a few hours at a VA firing range, and am interested in getting best results first time around.

I am thinking of using a high frame-rate, and am wondering about sound pressure levels for audio (possibly some physical baffling for mics?). I also wonder what I can get away with, in positioning the camera (unattended, pre-focused) close to the line of fire - if they'll let me do this, and under instructor's supervision.

Any ideas? - thanks.

Grant.

Tv Shooter

I just did an audio gig with NBC at a gun range, and also am a regular at my local one. I have also shot safety videos for a local indoor shooting gallery.There are certain rules that the range must follow, not just for safety, but for insurance and in some cases, local law.

You cannot shoot from over the firing line. They may let you go downrange and set up a lockdown or maybe hang a Go Pro, but not while the range is active. Keep in mind, anything you put downrange may not come back. Even the best shooters stray sometimes.

We hung a Go Pro 3 on a arm out just in front of our shooting lane. It was a very good shot. Pun intended.

Audio is pretty simple. Close lav anyone you are wanting to talk to, underneath the clothing, and flatten out the response as much as you can. Keep in mind, if there are multiple shooters active, the audio is what it is. If you are looking for clean, pristine audio while there is an active range, stop looking. The sound of guns are part of the story, and the fastest way to get pure clean audio is to stop anyone from firing while talking. If there's only one or two shooting though, you'll be surprised just how clear a good mic picks up audio.

Sound pressure levels-just ride the audio. You don't need a boom 3" from the gun while it's firing. You will want it closer in while loading and cocking the gun. Unless you have extra mics, baffling will be more a slowdown than help.

Be careful where you are standing. Semi auto fire guns eject very hot shell casings, usually out the right side (you can get guns with left side eject, but they are rare). Make sure you have a clear filter over the lens. You'll also need to have a lens cloth handy, as gunpowder gets on everything. Including you. Don't plan on going thru airport security afterward without showering. :)

This is all based on knowing nothing about your situation regarding access. Never, ever walk over the line if the range is not shut down. But if they let you do it, position the HFR camera closer in, as when the gun fires, the recoil may force it out of frame as the casing ejects. It depends on the gun and the ability of the shooter. Take a few minutes and just watch them shoot...you'll have a better idea then.

Safety-the range officer is responsible for your safety, but so are you. It's not a complicated shoot, but safety is the main thing. Always wear eye and ear protection. Ear plugs are fine, but make sure they are seated in your ear....one shot without and you are going to feel it. It's a pain to shoot with safety glasses, but do it anyway. You don't want a shell casing to hit you in the eye. Expect if you are close, some may hit you and the camera. It might sting for a second or two.

Wear boots. You'll be stepping around casings all over the place most likely. It's much more comfortable.

Again-it's actually very easy, just do as the range officer says, and you'll have an easy time. If you've never fired a gun, ask to try it. Especially if they are shooting AR-15s. Contrary to uninformed opinions, the AR is a very accurate weapon, and easy to shoot.

Have fun, and above all, safety first!

BluesCam

An idea for you. Although it was a little unnerving, at a police range I did a shot from the back of a target through a bullet hole to show the shooter aiming and then did a body "truck" from behind the target to show the firing line. Of course, I told them to hold their fire. Obviously, they did. :>)

Last edited:
Bob, Stephen, Richard - thanks all for a rich set of notes. You've given me lots to work with here.

A couple of quick follow ups -

1. HFR camera - Richard, what is this?

2. The GoPro - I'm sold, based on demo videos I have seen. I have today to figure out how to bring it's mount accessory out to a 40" sidearm - I'm assuming it won't be too difficult, with an assortment of grip gear in the van. It's about time to get into the realm of compact, 2nd pov cameras. Off to REI to buy one today...

3. Gunpowder - I would REALLY like to avoid leaving residue on anything - one of my gear sets triggered a shutdown at the US Capitol about 2 years ago - my colleague Dave, working with the camera had a very unpleasant time in temp detention (and we still don't know what 'residue' they determined was on the camera bag - the President was en-route to the Capitol when this happened!). Any advice on how to thoroughly decontaminate afterwards? I will fit a rain cover over the camera I think - much as I dislike shooting with those damned things.

Thanks again for a great set of ideas. Much appreciated.

Grant.

Capt. Slo-mo

Grant: if any of the weapons has a "Picatinny" style rail on it, GoPro makes a specific mount for that accessory. Some people have good luck on it, others complain that the high caliber weapons knock it loose pretty quickly.

cameragod

Just a thought Grant, in this PC day and age it might pay to include a shot that shows or gives a clue how you got a POV shot. I know it goes against the grain to beak the forth wall but it might save complaints later about promoting unsafe gun practice.

I don't know how you are going to avoid residue. My limited understanding is the smoke leaves anough to trip most of those swabs they use at security checkpoints. If I were you you might talk to the range master about it, Im sure they have some ideas. As a lot of those guys im sure find themselves in the same position. It might be as simple as running a baby wipe over your kit after you go home or then again it might not.

Capt. Slo-mo

Many of the ranges have "lead wipes" on hand. Very similar to a baby wipe. Might not hurt to swab everything down thoroughly after you're all done.

Tv Shooter

Grant,
HFR=High Frame Rate camera. I'm probably using that abbreviation incorrectly, as I usually only see it in regard to cameras that shoot 120 frames or higher per second. But hey, it saves keystrokes. :)

Just clean the camera with a rag and some alcohol or whatever you use to clean the camera body. Use your regular lens cleaner as well. I would suggest blowing it all off with some canned air, then cleaning it. I do that to mine, it works just fine. I took mine on an airplane a couple days after using it on a range and it went through just fine.