"Elite" Class...Burp

chicagoshootr

Funny, with the debate raging over on the general forum about the NPPA “Elite Class” competition, it’s comforting to me that most of us freelancers don’t bother with that silly stuff over here.

Nah, we’re all grownups for the most part and the only ego stroking going on here is quickly tempered by Uncle Sam ruining OUR party on a quarterly basis.

Actually, I’m glad that those young lions still enjoy beating up on each other, because if the “elite” all went freelance suddenly, I’d probably find myself outgunned and out of a job in a hurry.

So, you boys all enjoy yourselves over there.

We’ll keep telling you how hard it is to go out on your own, how expensive it is to buy all that crap we have to buy, how little work we have and how the good old days of the freelancer are gone forever.

Hell, buy me few beers and I may just tell you how my stuff 15 years ago would kick the crap out of 80% of the stories I see on those contest entries...

…burp…

Yup, uh huh.

Nino

There's nothing wrong with competition providing that the motivation is not just an ego trip to make you feel superior but to improve your work and to strengthen your position in your workplace. When I started in business as a young freelance photographer I entered every competitions I could, it was free and always got great publicity and back then free publicity was like gold. One of the professional photographers organization sent news releases of the top winners to the local media and the newspapers always published the stories. That alone was a great incentive to get a top score.

Below is me, circa 1973 when I won two national awards for architectural photography, I was in business only 3 years and struggling to establish myself. The local newspaper run the story with the picture taken by the association then the New York Times not to be outdone by a local paper decided to make a full 3 pages story about me plus the front cover for their Sunday suburban edition. It did not hurt my business at all. After that NYT story my business skyrocketed.

chicagoshootr

Too bad we can't see the pants...I'll bet he had some serious bell bottoms going on.

I know I had some in '73...but I wasn't shaving yet!

Matt Box

nino... that picture is the best thing Ive seen on the net in a while.... I know you have more so please post them. Serious Ron Burgundy Style

Baltimore's Finest Fotog

chicagoshootr said:
Hell, buy me few beers and I may just tell you how my stuff 15 years ago would kick the crap out of 80% of the stories I see on those contest entries...

Well, if that's not the pot calling the kettle black, I don't know what is.

tresbeez

Actually, I’m glad that those young lions still enjoy beating up on each other, because if the “elite” all went freelance suddenly, I’d probably find myself outgunned and out of a job in a hurry.
I am, unfortunately, one of the people lumped into the "elite" category and guess what, i am going to to start freelancing fulltime in the very near future. so, here i come, i'm gunning for you chicagoshootr! maybe i'll take you up on the offer to buy you a beer or four someday.

tresbeez

mr. beez - when you hang out your shingle, what format(s) are you going with?
Not sure yet. i own a BVW-D600 right now. i paid cash for it so i dont have a debt i need to pay off.

from following alot of the discussions here and talking to some of my buddies in the business i am leaning towards The HDX-900. but, before i pull the trigger on anything, i'm going to wait to see what most of the clients are asking for and how the market is playing out.