Do you remember shooting your first package?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

<iris>

Do you remember shooting your first package? What was your experience? How did it look? What problems did you face in the field?
What are common mistakes most people make when they first start? (besides forgetting to change filters and getting blue video).

Murman

My first package was a disaster. I remember my first day and the ND sent me up to engineering to pick up my gear and sent me and a reporter out to a fluff ribbon cutting. Well the engineering dept had a dip switch or some damn thing not in the right position on some inaccessable board, and well the long story short, no power to the viewfinder,,,,,
I tried everything,,
Engineering would not send anyone to fix the problem, so being the youg snot nosed keener I once was, I estimated the focal distances and shot the ribbon cutting. Now besides have rather poor framing, the focus was just bad enough to be a complete distraction,,,,,Yep no Buck Eye news Award for that one!

Murman

tdelarm

Hell yes! Total nightmare!

And to make matters worse, the ND was the main anchor that was also the reporter on the story.

1982…Anchorage Alaska KTVA. After working 8 months as a PA for another station I finally got my first news-shooting job. First assignment, teamster’s press conference with the union’s president regarding a possible strike, which was huge news for Alaska during its pipeline construction hey day.

Somehow aside from bad audio and RF floating through the video, I managed to shoot this thing from every possible angle breaking every “don’t cross the axis” rule imaginable. I believe we “borrowed” some footage from another station to make it look decent which raised the question from fellow staffers…”what are you doing in the background of everyone’s else’s shot”
:rolleyes:

Most airtime I believe I’ve ever had but the real zinger was…it was my uncle who was the union’s president that was giving the press conference so I got it from both sides.

At least I wasn’t our “other photog” who learned you can’t focus on sunny chrome bumpers with a tube camera and not burn the tubes. Something we don’t have to worry about these days.

Mistakes due to inexperience that come to mind…

-Shaky camera work.
-Improper use of zooms & pans. (You’d think their grandmother’s shot the video)
-Lack of cut-aways or b-roll.
-Not holding shot long enough.
-Over modulated audio.
-Poor white balance.
-Crossing the axis.

…And this doesn’t even broach the ascetics of composition but hey! We all have to learn sometime.

Tim

Shaky & Blue

I remember shooting my first package, but the director had cast himself in the part that had all the sex scenes and wanted to make sure his goods got into the movie.

The actress in the scene was absolutely beautiful, and I found out later she had a thing for me that ended that night because she was so self-conscious about me having seen her naked and having still acted entirely professional. I don't know how she expected me to act, but after that it was just too awkward for her. I guess it must have come across as distant.

After the room was lit and dressed with props, we cleared the crew out for the actors (actress and director) to come in. It was just the two of them, me and my camera assistant. The director immediately tossed off his robe and strutted around the room, while the girl was quite shy.

When the camera was ready, he climbed on top of her and then said, "Wait a minute. Who's gonna oil up my back? I gotta look like I'm workin' it." For those who don't know, to make people look like they're sweating in a sex scene, you smear them with baby oil and spray water on top of it to get good beads of "sweat."

Wanting to get this over with, my camera assistant spoke up in his heavy Dutch/Surinamese accent, "I will do it."

As he slathered and sprayed the guy's back, the director said, "Be sure and get my butt. My butt's gotta be seen, and it won't look right unless it's got some sweat on it." So my camera assistant oiled the guy's ass. I declined to watch this, opting instead to find some "adjustments" to make with the camera.

Then I heard, "Be sure and get in the crack."

It was followed quickly but matter-of-factly with that Dutch accent: "I am not going there."

Finished with his, uh, makeup work, my camera assistant wiped his hands on a towel and returned to the camera. "Are you gonna touch my camera after you did that?" I asked.

"I would like to get this over with," came the Dutch accent. "Do you really want to delay any further?"

"Um. No."

So we started shooting, with the director occasionally calling cut to ask for a close up of something or to repeat some lick or stroke that had entered his head. We shot just about every part of their bodies. The scene was lit with Chinese paper lanterns (which picked up the nickname "love balls" after that), and I must say that it looked quite lovely.

As we were wrapping and deciding whether we got all the coverage we needed, the poor embarrassed actress went and hid in the bathroom. The director, sitting there with his robe still hanging open, said, "Did you get a shot of my package? I'd like to show the package if you got a shot of it."

So that's the story of the first package I shot.

Oh, wait. Did you mean news package?

Tippster

The Fly on the Wall
I shot a round-table discussion from some committee in the Bundestag in Germany. My first job was for a German 24 hr. News Network and they sent me to Germany for training/indoctrination. Anyhoo, although I WB'ed often the video was blue thanks to a row of windows and the camera being on Preset. DUH! Unfortunately those Sony 300's said "Auto OK" in the VF when you WB on preset, so I thought I'd done it.

Oh yeah, the only cutaway I shot was of the centerpiece. :eek:

I'm better now, I hope.

Lensmith

Originally posted by <iris>:
Do you remember shooting your first package?
I really don't...and that kind of bothers me.

However I do remember...

The first bullet riddled dead body I saw.

The first time I watched someone die.

The first (and last) time my camera fell off a tripod.

The first (and last) time I had no tape to shoot with.

The first (and last) time I didn't white balance.

The first (and last) time I didn't make my slot with an edited story.

The first (and last) time I had my stand lights fall on an interview subject.

The first (and last) time I didn't listen to someone younger than me who had advice I could use.

The first package? It must have been ok but I'm sure I'd be embarassed by it today ;o)

news-shooter

My first package....I was a studio cameraman who had no clue about news, let alone how to shoot it. Management decided that if I was a studio cameraman, then I can run an ENG camera. This was the day after the OJ Simpson car chase, and I guess they were short photogs that day. I spent about a half hour with a maintenence engineer, so I can get familiar with all the switches on the camera and what they do. Then off I went with a reporter who I will describe as a mean "Ted Baxter". I work in a shop that is reporter driven, if you know what I mean. He is one of those egomaniacs who is also the senior reporter. Shot some interviews. It was technically OK but I zoomed in while the interviewee was speaking because thats what I did in the studio.
When he got back to the station, the reporter bellowed at the top of his lungs so the whole newsroom echoed.
I made it a point to learn as much as I can about news photography after that because I did find it a lot more interesting than studio camera. On a shoot you are the video, audio, director, cameraman, producer (sometimes) lighting director, and it helps to have a good disposition and be a "people person".
Did I leave anything out? The best part is that there is always something to learn...even years later.

F

<falcone>

My first package, wow what an embarrasment. Blue video, orange video...for some reason I thought I was too cool to even use a tripod. However, my first pack was not as scary as my first liveshot, I should have been fired over that!!

Sportsguy

My first pack? A cross-axis nightmare.

Other than that, at least it was white balanced.
I can't even remember what the hell it was about...

P

<package shot>

Originally posted by Shaky & Blue:
I remember shooting my first package, but the director had cast himself in the part that had all the sex scenes and wanted to make sure his goods got into the movie.

A guy's package WAS shown on WFAA last night. He walked right through the background.

Currentchief

Wilmington, NC- 1989.

It was a protest for Chinese civil rights and I stood across the street (about 200 feet) and shot from there. My chief (God bless him) stood behind me, grabbed my shoulders and pushed me right up to the guy screamin' on the bullhorn. for the next 90 minutes, he steered me from place to place to get the shots I needed.

The result that aired that night was crap, but I learned alot that day. Thanks, Doug.

ransom

My first story was god awful. Lucky me, I was surrounded by a lot of other young kids and all of us were learning as we go. Twenty years later I still have a big 3/4 tape with that first story on it. Nothing big. A fire in a hardware store. No nat sound. The flames look a little blue but I was damn proud when that thing aired the first time. Now I'd hide my head in shame. It's a good thing I was in a small town where mistakes are part of the process. I'd probably lose clients if they even saw that first effort today :D

My first was actually a pretty cool piece about a dinosaur exhibit. I was so excited and nervous but unfortunatly not in the know with my equipment. Someone had left the shutter on max (shooting sports or something) and I couldn't figure out why my iris was open and on filter one inside but still couldn't see a thing! Pkg actually turned out ok....but I'll never forget it. My poor reporter, 9 months prego, ready to drop kid and it took me about 20 minutes to figure out the problem while doing her standup...

J

<jonser>

My first package, believe it or not, was a nats pack! Talk about baptism by fire. The ND had me go out and shoot a memorial day event at the veterans cemetary. All things considered, I think I did a pretty good job for my first package. Luckily, there was a bagpipe band there, so the nat sound was easy.

I had shot a lot of vo and vosots beforehand before they let me shoot a pack. So my white balance and everything was fine. Editing the story was what killed me. Took me 3 hours for a 1 minute story. But the ND was actually impressed at my first effort.

danesch

Market 156 Quincy IL,
Though my video came back fine, it was the story I will never forget. In farm town IL, they have these great big hog confineries. They have retention ponds for all the hog sh!#. Well... the sh!# was leaking out into the creeks which other residents were complaining was going into the water table. Long story short... I had to shoot the sh!#!!

What makes it more interesting, these hog confineries are "Steril" environments. Before entering you have to take showers and put on their jumpsuits and worse their UNDERWARE and boots!! You think that's the funniest thing... my reporter wore a TUPE!!!! He refused to shower cause he didn't want to mess up his rug!

All things concidered the SH!# looked fine when it aired! :p

photogguy

I have a hard time remembering last week, you want me to remember 1988? My brain ain't wired that way. I'm sure, however, that if I saw the video today, I'd be embarrassed by it.

cameragod

My first package was a political story. It was all right. A bit wide and timid in parts but unfortunately it was a historical moment so I still see file bits of it in stories today. Damn it.

Lenslinger

"Son, is Shelly in bed?"

It was a strange thing for my father to be asking me on the phone at four in the morning, but it was how the day of my very first news package started.

Seems a gunman had taken a hostage at the restaurant my wife worked at, and my scanner-hound father was calling to make sure it wasn't his daughter-in-law being held at gunpoint.

It wasn't. But the young lady being used as a human shield WAS a dear friend of ours, and as I shook all remnants of sleep away - I knew the next twelve hours wouldn't be my usual fare of shooting fat lady dress shop commercials.

My newly-wed wife and I jumped in our car and raced for the crime scene. When the police wouldn't let us past a barricade, we sped over to the TV station I worked at. In the newsroom, an editor played footage from hours earlier. Onscreen, a masked gunman could clearly be seen dragging our friend around by the throat outside the restaurant, as police pointed their own weapons and pled with him to go back inside (for years that image was the most unbelievable thing I'd ever seen on-screen -- until 9/11).

Leaving my upset wife in the newsroom, I ran to my office, got the keys to the production van and hauled-balls toward the restaurant. This time the cops waved me through, and within minutes I was a mere 100 yards from the crime-scene in progress. When the chief news photog from my station spotted me, he put me to work - despite the fact that I was just some unproven long-haired creative services punk-asss.

Before I really knew what was happening, I was manning a betacam (my first time even being allowed to touch one) a scant twenty yards from the restaurant entrance. Through my viewfinder I could easily see the outline of the gunman as he swigged beer, talked on the phone and waved his gun around. All around me SWAT team members sweated inside their kevlar and took aim at the wildy-gesturing silhouette. I was certain they would soon take the gunman out with a head shot (seen too many movies) and I rolled tape for what felt like FOREVER.

They didn't. To make a l-o-n-g story short, the gunman held an army of police and media at bay for more than ten hours. Every station in the market broke into programming, and for a good part of that day every viewer in the region leaned into their television sets in disbelief. For the first time I felt the surge of energy through my fingertips as I realized the frightening images I was framing up were beaming into living rooms LIVE, hypnotizing a very captive audience.

Finally, well into the afternoon - the gunman agreed to release his hostage if his uncle would be allowed to enter the restaurant. By luck, and by listening to my police scanner earpiece, I was the only photog (among many, many veterans on-scene) to get a shot of the hostage running out of the back door.

A half hour later, when the gunman finally walked out of the front door with his hands up, I was one of only two photogs to get the shot unobstructed. Most of the other shooters were hampered by tree branches blocking their view - but the news gods were smiling on me that day. I got rock-solid shots of the gunman's forced-exit and even thought to snap zoom in on his grimacing face as the SWAT members took him down.

I returned to the station that day something of an E.N.G. hero. I was glad my friend had made it out physically unharmed but other than that I was pretty numb. But I did know one thing: I'd shot my last fat lady's dress shop commercial. Within weeks, I was a news-shooter, and I foolishly assumed all future assignments would be just as action-packed.

I was wrong, of course. Fifteen years later, I can count on a couple of fingers the news stories that packed the emotional punch of that dramatic March morning. Maybe that's a good thing.

P.S.) There's ALOT more to the story. The hostage was the daughter of a local District Attorney (bad move for the bad guy). The hostage-taker turned out to be an employee of the restaurant and an acquaintance of all involved. Oh yeah, the gun he used...plastic. Months later I had the surreal experience of serving as consultant to the "Rescue 911" crew as they shot a cheesy re-enactment in the very restaurant the stand-off happened in.

All in all, it was the most tension-filled, sphincter-tightening, head-spinning time I've ever spent in the company of a news camera. The full story of that day is something I've fiddled with on page for years. If I ever finish it, it'll be the opening chapter of the book I'll probably never write. Thanks for bearing through this extremely-condensed (yet still too long) version.

Status
Not open for further replies.