Do you remember shooting your first package?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.St.

There's nothing notable about my first package, since I had been shooting for about 9 months before I shot a package (I had been VO/SOT boy before then). I'm sure it sucked then, but it was nothing I got yelled at for.

However, my first big assignment was a bit hairy (AB, if you're reading this, you'll probably remember this too).

Until this day, I had shot nothing but high school football. I was working part time, and I shot only HS football on Friday nights.

Along comes the big matchup between Clemson and South Carolina. The chief photog asks me to shoot the game from the photo deck. I was ecstatic. Me, getting to shoot the Clemson-Carolina game.

But, just about everything that could go wrong did. I was on the photo deck an hour in advance of the game, ready to go. I adjusted the tripod, white balanced, had the power supply, all of my tapes labeled, etc. But when the game began, the camera wouldn't fire. It wouldn't roll tape.

I got the reporter I was with (who still shot at the time), and he couldn't get the camera to work. I just wouldn't fire.

He sent me back to the station to get another camera. I didn't get back until the end of the third quarter. By that time, the game was pretty much decided, and the reporter said I should just shoot his standup and post with the USC head coach.

I setup in the post game room, plugged my channel 1 into the mult-box (still a new concept for me). Keep in mind the channel 1 part. I had no earpiece, so I didn't monitor audio (a mistake I have yet to make since then).

Since I had worked at this station, I was taught that channel 1 was the hand held mic, and that channel 2 was the on-board mic. No one had ever shown me the audio switches on the deck, and it just so happened I had the camera of the one photog on the staff that shot with the on-board mic feeding into channel one.

Needless to say, the audio from one of the biggest sports stories of the year sounded like dog feces. However, I didn't find this out until later.

On the way back to the station, I got into my news unit (an old Taurus), and tried to release the parking break. The cable to the release broke, so I had to crawl under the car and release the break manually (I'm fairly auto savvy). About that time, one of the most well-repsected broadcasters in SC (Bob Fulton), was walking up to me, and took out his hand for me to shake. As I was about to explain that my hand was full of grease, he grabbed my hand for the handshake and a hand full of grease.

So after this embarrassment, I get back to the station, find out from AB that my audio was crap because of the switch thing. The reporter I was working with told me the news director wanted my head. After all of this, I was fairly certain I would never be asked back into the station again.

I'm now the senior photog at this station, and the primary sports shooter. Needless to say, I got my act together.

queen of blue

Ah yes. The dreaded first package ......

Augusta, GA 1999 (Not all that long ago when you say it that way, is it?)

I had only been shooting ANYTHING for about 2 weeks... they told me I'd have 6 weeks of VO/Sot patrol before I got anything longer.

Keep in mind that I couldn't even use a handycam when I first picked up an ENG camera. So two weeks in - lead stories are dying right and left -and my reporter and I are shooting a fluffy little story about (cough) a St. Patricks Day Hockey Game. (We were sponsors airing the game live of course.)Before long the order comes down, "Guys, pack it, and you're leading the 5."

WHAT?!?!?!?!

Well - lucky for me - the reporter I had could write - and I mean really really write .... so she made chicken salad and it wasn't toooooooo terribly bad.

Except for one thing. Somebody decided that this package needed a shot of the green hockey puck all by itself on the ice - and we were back at the station already. No problem, have production shoot it and feed it back, right? The video they sent back was so hot it digitized on air.

And to this very day, I'm sure every single other photog who saw that thought it was me. (Now that I think about it, why the hell weren't we live at that story???? Tthe trucks were already there.)

But that's ok, I made up for it later with some real doozies. You know - the kind that earn you the nickname "queen of blue."

And for the record, it has been over 2 years since my last blue video. Hopefully I've got 20 to go before I get another one!

Tippster

The Fly on the Wall
Originally posted by queen of blue:
... it has been over 2 years since my last blue video. Hopefully I've got 20 to go before I get another one!
Girlfriend, you just sooo totally jinxed yourself... ;)

queen of blue

Originally posted by Tippster:
quote: Originally posted by queen of blue:
... it has been over 2 years since my last blue video. Hopefully I've got 20 to go before I get another one!
Yeah, I thought about that just about the time I hit "send." Have a shoot in an auditorium for a school play today. What ya wanna bet they're using 15 kinds of lights and it' all comes out ..... oh I don't know.... purple or green....

Hey, what the heck causes GREEN video anyway? I actually got that one time. I thought to myself, "How bad do you have to suck at this to turn it all green?" :eek:

queen of blue

Originally posted by queen of blue:
quote: Originally posted by Tippster:
quote: Originally posted by queen of blue:
Yeah, I thought about that just about the time I hit "send." Have a shoot in an auditorium for a school play today. What ya wanna bet they're using 15 kinds of lights and it' all comes out ..... oh I don't know.... purple or green....

Hey, what the heck causes GREEN video anyway? I actually got that one time. I thought to myself, "How bad do you have to suck at this to turn it all green?" :eek:
Orange .... I just got back from a shoot that I f*&%(*&% up .... and it's orange, not blue.

Tippster

The Fly on the Wall
:D :D :D

The WB Gods demand a sacrifice! Bring on the Wenches! (kidding)

I'm assuming you shot on preset?

queen of blue

Originally posted by Tippster:
:D :D :D

The WB Gods demand a sacrifice! Bring on the Wenches! (kidding)

I'm assuming you shot on preset?
Nope, just got to talking and didn't WB, if you can believe that.

Actually we use the Sony DSR-200A which is unbelieveably reliable on ATW. (Except for flourecents.) By now I know it well enough to know when I'll need to do it myself, and when I can let it do all the work.

I had just shot in a car dealership, which is, as you know, a huge mix of different kinds of light that no matter how good your ATW is will require a manual balance. So I did. It looks stellar. Perfect, as a matter of fact.

Then I got to the school, started talking to the kid I needed to interview who was extremly nervous and needed to be calmed down .... and I neither re WB'd nor threw the switch to ATW.

It was a screw up, plain and simple. And one that I'm espically emarassed to recount here, as it was such a rookie thing to do.

One of the things I hate about this particular gig is that it's too easy to get lazy and let the camera do all the work. Unfortunatly I've learned that with this camera, it can often do a better job of exposing the video than I can, so I just let it go. (Isn't that sad?)

I have to say that in news, my biggest strong point was never actually how the video looked, it was the fact that I "got" the whole broadcasting/journalism thing .... and I never missed my slot. I've got a very good scanner ear too, so I hear a lot that other people miss. Most importantly I can edit like a fiend, and I usually can see things in an edit bay that other people miss as well.

One of the reasons that I hang out here so much is that I've learned a lot about lighting, shooting etc from those of you who have the experience to share. My training all consists of screwing things up, finding out why it's screwed up and then doing it better the next time. It takes so long to learn things that way!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRR. To top that off we have NO "staff development" for my department here at the district, and they actually think I'm good. (SHHHHHHHHH don't tell them different.)

Ok, so now that I've confessed that I often am fumbling in the dark -

Tippster there's a very good chance that I'll be living in the DC/Maryland/Virgina area within the next year..... where do I go to learn more stuff, get better training - either in a classroom setting or in the field with a really good crew who will shepard me along?

For example, at WRDW, where I learned to shoot, we had a good enough shop that the guys were never afraid to say "Hey, that looked like crap - here's why, and here's how you fix it for next time." They also were good about giving props when they were earned. I learned more there in nine months than I've learned in all the years since then, because I've simply not had a teacher of any kind.

Geez, I must be PMSing, cause I've just proclaimed that I probably don't know what I'm doing and now I'm doing the touchy feely stuff. Some days I'm such a woman...... LOL

ewink

I don't remember what it was, but I remember looking at it and remembering that it was bad, but could have been worse...

Being a production shooter, and this is my first news job, I wasn't used to not having someone tell me what to do...

Lucky for me though, with the exception of a couple of people, most of the ppl in my news room are very helpful and offered ALOT of advice...

R

<Ray Etheridge>

I remember that I checked, double-checked, and triple-checked every little switch and detail to
make sure that it was correct...(not to mention the LIGHTING)...so that "simple" interview took FOREVER to shoot. My reporter was not pleased. THEN I had
some run-and-gun "off the shoulder" spot news
to shoot...I remember having that SORE SHOULDER for a week. Could barely lift my arm... :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.