Direct Copying of SxS Media

lsyoung

I have question for those of you that may be using SxS cards (EX1, EX3) -

I have shot with these cameras, but I usually have a DIT to take charge of offloading the cards. I have a shoot where I will have to offload at the end of the shoot day.

In doing research about the off load, I have seen the recommendation that the Sony Clip browser be used to move the EX data off the cards to an external hard drive.

Now, as the cards are essentially flash memory, I am wondering why use the clip browser and not just copy the media off to a hard drive much like I do with P2 media (Process: Create a new folder, copy contents and .txt file from P2 card to New Folder - finished).

Have any of you used this work flow with SxS cards? Or do you use the clip browser? If so Why?

cameragod

It’s worth installing the clip browser just to make sure all the drivers you need are on the computer.
I have run into some PC’s that will not even see the card… I don’t know why… “new device found… windows installing death ray… will self destruct in 5 seconds…”

But once everything was talking to each other nicely, yes I have just copied the folders across to a hard drive and had no problems with that.

lsyoung

Thanks Stephen.

I asked the same question on Creative Cow and got this response from a Sony rep:

"... copy the BPAV (root folder) to another folder and give the parent folder a unique name. Do not modify anything below BPAV. If you follow this rule and your copies go as planned you should have no issues."

Flaca Productions

you should really be careful about moving p2 like that as well. you can download P2CMS free from panasonic to "safely" do the transfer or get something like shotput pro, which is what i often use. i also have a nexto di that makes the transfer pretty painless.

i have had some issues with video that i transferred when i first started using p2. over a year later, and the video is "gone" - won't show up in p2cms (a "?" is displayed) and i am assuming it's because some of the file structure got messed up somewhere along the way....

lsyoung

you should really be careful about moving p2 like that as well.

Hi Brian,

I have been using P2 for about 4 years or so and just completed a year long project (LOTS of footage/gigs) - in that time I have not had a problem moving data off P2 cards. I have also shot many shows and Documentaries using this method.

The thing to be careful about is to create a new folder on the target drive with a unique name, then make sure you copy BOTH the .txt file (the database) and the contents folder (DON'T open it - copy the whole folder). BTW, I use a MAC - NOT sure how this will work on a PC - though I have worked with producers where they did the same procedure on a PC with no problems.

Following this procedure you will not have a problem. I also have AVID Media Composer and FCP on my laptop to check the footage.

From what I understand from Panasonic and Sony, their respective clip browsers when copying footage to an external hard drive perform a consistency check - that is, they check the copied data against the original, this is the same thing that Shot Put Pro does. This is why they recommend using their Browsers.

I like using the above method as I can transfer a 32gb P2 card using my duel adapter in about 16min. Using the clip browser takes about 45min to an hour.

Your Mileage may vary ;)