cruise ship

Hot Toddy

My station is sending me on a cruise with our weeknight anchor and our viewers. I was unsure of how to prepare for lighting on this trip. I was looking to find someone who has experience taping on a cruise ship and could give me any pointers or ideas with my lighting. Thanks.

grinner

Of course it depends on needs but I like to use natural lighting when at sea. I'd be lieing if I called this a creative call due to the beautiful lighting available inside and outside of cruise ships (and there is). Truth is, it's much more convenient for me to run and gun these kinds of shoots. I am documenting when at sea. This means I get no second takes and I can't afford to miss a shot because I was lighting one. Also, many of the people I interview are not use to being on camera. I've found big cameras, a boom and lights create quite the deer in headlights vibe that can sometimes be hard to overcome. I'm more like a dude with a camcorder on these kinds of shoots and that works much better for me.
That said, I do keep dimmable LED headlamps on me. The night life is often dark and this enables me to light when I have to. I like dimmables because I can adjust color temp on the fly, just eye-balling it. All I need is workable imagery for post. This is the strength of editing one's own material, really. I can lean on that.

MtnShooter

Uh, he said he's going with his weeknight anchor. That means there'll probably be some stand ups. He's going to want at least a toplight.

Last edited:

grinner

This is why I mentioned dimmable LEDs.
Another thing to be mindful of... be careful of condensation while at port. You can avoid this by hangin' outside a while before going ashore (if ya do).

Last edited:

Chicago Dog

The cruise ship is going to have its own video production people. A call to them, perhaps?
I second that. You might benefit from lights they've already got aboard.

Further, check out http://www.efplighting.com/. It's run by Nino Giannotti. He shoots for a variety of clients and currently lives in Florida. I have no doubt he's done stuff on a cruise ship. He has a membership on this forum, though a recent post hints that he may be on-hiatus from the forum right now.

Hit up his website and drop him an email. He's a true professional.

Grangeway

HT,

I've shot a few times on cruise ships so I'll take a run at your question.

First of all, you are leaving the US as far as Customs and Border Protection is concerned so you'll need to declare your gear with customs. The easiest deal is to get a Carnet. It's not cheap but it makes returning to the US easier. Go to http://www.atacarnet.com to get one.
The Internets makes it a lot simpler to get one. Back in the day we used to have to file papyrus carnets. You kids don't know how easy you have it.

There's a greater than zero chance that your ship was built in Europe so electricity in the cabins and public areas will most likely be 220v/50hz. The outlets could be be the UK type grounded plugs, French or German plugs. The poles on the German plugs have a wider diameter than the French plugs and are grounded. One of the UK or Euro B-rollers like Simon W. can tell me to sod off if I'm wrong about the plugs.

What cruise line will you be on? Find out so you can confirm with the ship's electrician.

What brand light kit will you be taking? Are you shooting any sit down SOTs? What camera will you use? Frame rate? Progressive or interlaced? If you're shooting 480/60i under 50hz lights, set your shutter on 1/100 sec to take out the flicker.

Take plenty of lamps for your light kit. Both 110 and 220. Stingers are your friend. The ship's electrician is your best friend. Take a voltmeter and double check every outlet before you plug in. Take a second charger as a backup. You'll be out to sea. There's no going to Kennedy's or Panavision.

It's been about 5 years since I've shot on cruise ship but that's what I can think off the top of my head.

PM with your mobile number if you have any more questions.

That is all. Please carry on.

Hot Toddy

Thank you so much to everybody! All of the posts were really helpful and informative! Means a lot to me. Thanks again.

grinner

have fun, man. Hard not to.
Here's a clip from my first cruise:
http://vimeo.com/6824406
I didn't sleep for dang near a week! lol

(I was using no lighting at all in this one and you can see where the dimmable LEDs would come in handy)

I wound up sellin' a series from this clip. Story here.

CAMERABUDDY

If you are traveling abroad you will need to register your gear with US Customs. Go to
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/forms/ and find form 4455. You can enter all info and print from the site. Then go to US Customs in you city at the port or airport. Have available what gear with you that you are taking and process the documents with that office. The last time I registered gear they did not look at it by you need to have it there if the want to see it. There is no charge for registering when I last registered to take gear out of the country in 2008. Make 10 copies after the documents have been stamped by Customs.
Email me for some tips I didn't post on the site.

Lensmith

All the stations down here just did "cruise coverage" for the new "largest" cruise ship that was just put in service. I guess registering the gear can't hurt...but none of our crews did that. Of course it was not a long cruise. Just a night or two and basically just free publicity for the cruise line showing off the monster ship. They also never go off the boat until it came back to port in the US...so maybe that's why no one worried about having it registered.
Everyone sent an anchor or reporter with a photog. Everyone traveled very light. There was not light set ups. Too many people apart from the invited media. But everyone got good video using natural light or a top light when needed.

Yes, nice lighting set ups would have been nice but the crowds made that more of a hazard.

Everyone that went had a good time even though it was a lot of work. Food was good. But in the end, there was no real extended down time for anyone to enjoy the ride.

Hopefully you're on a longer jaunt. ;)

j.k.livin

I just shot a show on a royal carribean ship,,,, week long cruise.... My advice----travel light...... The carribean PR people were insistent that we not setup lights and disturb the paying passengers on the cruise.. They wanted to keep everything "natural" like we werent even there... Did all standups/interviews on the deck... It's hard to find a quiet place on the decks,, so scout around when you first get on the ship....Have fun,,, and expect a sore shoulder,,, especially if your shooting the off ship excursions...