Canon T5i

paulisphotoman

I am shooting a corporate project Tues/Wed, just wondering how long i can shoot interviews without camera giving me issues (overheating or any error messages)....I'm shooting a web-series with testimonials that run about 3-5 min's total, with no issues, but I'm wondering about over 5 min's (??).....

Douglas

I am shooting a corporate project Tues/Wed, just wondering how long i can shoot interviews without camera giving me issues (overheating or any error messages)....I'm shooting a web-series with testimonials that run about 3-5 min's total, with no issues, but I'm wondering about over 5 min's (??).....
I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm curious to know why you are farting around with a camera like this instead of using a real camcorder for a corporate shoot?

cyndygreen1

They're hiring you for skills, not gear. That said most DSLRs have a cap on how long a clip can be thanks for VAT in Europe. Generally around 25 minutes. Some cameras solve this by automatically rolling right into a new clip, but don't think the Canons do that. You'll need to check the specs.

paulisphotoman

Yes, skills are key but some gigs specify on gear too from what I've seen. You can have the best gear, but if you can't light or shoot or even understand how to get great images, then you have a problem....I'm shooting a web series and can easily record interviews for 5 mins with no issues.....

Run&Gun

Is this a freelance job or through a company that you work for(staffer). I'm not sure what market you're in, but $500 is less than(or equal to) the labor rate for just shooting(no gear) most places.

Necktie Boy

Most DSLR have a limit for recording video. 30 minutes for a contiguous shooting. You can check the manual to see what is the limit or just roll on the DSLR and see what it does. Or check a few DSLR boards.

One google search.....T5i is limited to 30 minutes. Didn't did a search for overheating.

Run&Gun

How do you know that? He never said that in his post, so am I missing something? What makes you say he is not being hired for labor and gear?
They're hiring you for skills, not gear. That said most DSLRs have a cap on how long a clip can be thanks for VAT in Europe. Generally around 25 minutes. Some cameras solve this by automatically rolling right into a new clip, but don't think the Canons do that. You'll need to check the specs.
I agree with Doug. I do understand what you're trying to say though, Cyndy.

I know that everyone says that it's not the wand, but the magician waiving it, BUT… I've been called many times by people that don't know me or my work JUST because of some of the cameras that I own. Right or wrong, it does happen and is a fact of life in this business.

paulisphotoman

From reading all these posts, from the ego of Doug (who I know is a Sony rep or tests for Sony from what I understand), to a few other that WERE actually helpful, its almost a waste of time to post here, so thanks for thisr who did help.

Douglas

From reading all these posts, from the ego of Doug (who I know is a Sony rep or tests for Sony from what I understand), to a few other that WERE actually helpful, its almost a waste of time to post here, so thanks for thisr who did help.
Yes, I guess it is a waste of time when someone is so easily offended by being asked a simple question as to why they chose the camera they're using. I was actually thinking you might have a better reason than just budget, but sadly that was not the case. I hope your $500 corporate shoot on a consumer stills camera came off great for the client and they got exactly what they expected. I guess the next time I have to hammer a nail I'll use a screwdriver because it costs less and I already have one -- after all, it's the talent of the operator and not the tool that matters, right?

Whether you like it or not, I will not sit idly by while others help the industry continue it's race to the bottom with cut rate pricing and the use of consumer equipment.

Last edited:

cyndygreen1

A better analogy would be using a sledgehammer rather than a tack hammer. A T5i vs. a full size pro-camera. I get what you're saying Doug. The tool can make or break a shoot. But I rank experience right up there with the tool. An idiot with no knowledge of how to use gear is worthless.

paulisphotoman

The T5i was a good camera to use, as I live in a small town with NO rental houses, so I have to make due with the DOUGH I have and haven't. The project $$ was my fee, not for the entire project, plus shooting opinions about something you don't know anything about just clarify's the sledgehammer comparison.....

I've been around enough ego's in my day (I lived in Dallas, I know), who have all this great equipment, but still do just the same work as a guy with limited gear and does excellent work.

Footage I shot looked really good...client was very happy. that's all that matters to me